Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does it take you to do a quilt? >

How long does it take you to do a quilt?

How long does it take you to do a quilt?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:26 AM

So sorry about your sister. It takes me forever to finish a quilt! But I work full time and always make a queen-size. I end up doing a lot of smaller projects in between though, like making baby and wedding gifts. I started two quilts a year and a half ago at at sewing camp and have not touched them since. And I have bought tons of fabric to make my son a quilt in Virginia Tech colors. So join the crowd, you're certainly not along in your time frame.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Well, takes some time to finish a quilt when you do what I have done. I pieced the top, sandwiched & pin basted it while at quilt group brought it home. Only now I can't find it. I don't know where I put it. I hadn't wanted to start quilting it right then & now I can't find it, Ahhh! Perhaps by the time I have got a stencil made for how I want to quilt it I'll locate it & be ready to quilt.LOL Truly sorry to hear about your sister, praying for you.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I guess I'm the oddball. I can crank one out from start to finish in a few days. I don't do sloppy work either being that fast. I just stich\k with it until it is done.

I don't work so I have the free time. :-D
Old 05-15-2010, 03:05 AM

Here's what I did 4 years ago---
I looked around and was overwhelmed with all the 1/2 done projects, clubs, church activities so I stomped my foot and said this year is the year I will not start any new projects or take part in any new activities ---- but I will start completing all previously started projects and reduce my commitments. Well that was the best thing I've ever done. The only thing I didn't complete was cross stitch blocks for a quilt my mom started me on before she passed away. I just wasn't ready yet for that. Well I had the best year and enjoyed the benefits of my labor for about two years but it's time now to put my foot down again and dig my way out but you know the pile is NO WAY as big as it was. I guess I learned something. I scheduled my projects on the calendar that is one of my secrets to success. Always schedule projects summer (projects that travel in car), winter projects (quilting/sewing), spring (flower beds/yard work), etc. at the appropriate time of the year this will help keep you motivated. I hope this will comfort you and encourage you.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:40 AM

Sorry for your loss I don't know what I would do without my sister we go to quilting ,Embroidery and Sewing classes together but we both also have a lot of UFO's around. So just start small when you finish a project it will make you feel better about he Unfinished Quilt and after a few even give you the incentive to finish it a little at a time Rome wasn't built in a day. Cherish her memory and start small on your sewing projects my prayer will be with you
Old 05-15-2010, 03:51 AM

I finally figured out that it's OK to move on to another project - I find I actually get more done. I choose based on what I feel like working on that day - eventually it will all get done.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:53 AM

Ok, I'll fess up. In 1994 I put together a Double Irish Chain full/queen size and started to applique grapes leaves & grape bunches w/stems on the border. I didn't finish the applique until well into the 2000's, and this year, 2010, I actually have it basted and on the hand quilting frame! I even quilt on it in between my frame quilting and general quilty sewing :-D Just take pleasure in knowing your project will be waiting patiently for you - however long it takes - and enjoy the journey.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 AM

Try not to focus on the sewing right now. You have to let your emotions calm down. I've suffered two tragic losses and to be honest, it takes YEARS to recover. First two years are the worst and then it's a little easier. Take care of yourself first and everything else will fall into place. Feel free to send me an email if you want to chat. I back to quilting again and usually happy with my finised quilts.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 AM

Started quilting in 1983.......and the one quilt that is still an UFO is the very first one that I started....

completely done by hand , is a sampler...15 blocks, 9 of which are hand quilted.....and it is so gently wrapped and packed away that I never even think about it...........that is, until I read a thread such as yours.

I do wonder sometimes....if I will ever take it out to finish.........mmmmmm, I try not to think about it that often, just depresses me !!!!!!

Get to yours s o that you won't have to think about it as I do..........I'm sure that you will be so pleased when you finish it and can admire it.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:54 AM

I even have three kits cut out that I cut out about ten yrs ago, and have never done. I wake in the morning when I am really in the quilting mode, and think of other patterns I want to do, I have a stack of paper patterns, and I also have a ton of the on my now new computer that is for sewing only lol... So yes keep plugging along. It is also good for healing. That is how I started. Sorry to hear about your sister. But quilting is a healer.

Rita