Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does it take you to do a quilt? >

How long does it take you to do a quilt?

How long does it take you to do a quilt?

Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 AM

My daughter's wedding quilt was presented to her on their 18th anniversary. Take your time. Step by step. If you don't feel like working on whatever, set it aside. When the time is right, you'll work on it. In the meantime, give yourself some rest and relaxation. No quilt police, remember.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 AM

I've got one quilt that I started (embroidered blocks) probably 30 years ago. The top is put together, but originally I chose plain white backing and I'm thinking that I'd like a print on the back. I have decided that I will find the fabric and have a long-arm quilter quilt it for me. I've quilted a couple of quilts on my machine, but I want this one to be special.

I'm also working on a memorial quilt right now and I am forcing myself to work on it a little bit every day. Every time I look at the pictures on the quilt, I cry. I suppose it is theraputic for me, but it is very hard emotionally. I just tell myself that it will bring comfort to the family and keep going. I have, however, vowed to do a "happy quilt" when I'm done with this one.

Lois
Old 05-13-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I'm getting a bit discouraged. Granted I've been distracted by my sister's death and all that's gone with it, and I did chose to start with a queen-sized bedspread ( :roll: ) which probably wasn't smart..... but I haven't hardly touched it in weeks. I'm afraid I'll never finish it - and I've been collecting fabrics/patterns for other quilts I want to make, so I have a backlog already. I don't dare let myself start another for fear I'll never finish this first one.

How do you do it? Does it ever take you forever? I bet you don't let yourself buy for quilts you may never get to.
If it is not a paid job you are not required to do it 8 hours a day.
Quilting is for serenity, pleasure, a place to let your mind rest for awhile, to make you feel good and relaxed, to put smiles on your face. Is it this quilt that is not doing that for you right now or is it quilting that is not doing that for you right now or is it just sitting down at the machine that is something you don't want to do right now?
You don't have to if you don't want to! We are going to enjoy your company and friendship just as much if you stitch or don't stitch. It does take the mind awhile to heal enough to let you do some things. My sister has been gone as much as 15 years and it still feels like I should be able to pick up the phone and call her. I am sorry for your loss. For this time in your life do what gives you a calm, relaxed feeling. Other things will come in time./Hugs.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:29 AM

My condolances on the loss of your Dear Sister. I lost both of my sisters a year ago, within 3 days of each other, so I have some idea how you are feeling. If I were you, I would put this particular quilt away for a while, and start something else with bright, happy colors. Sense you were working on this quilt when your sister passed, it may be bringing back sad memories. As time goes on, you will heal, and can get back to it. Or maybe it will just remain forever a UFO. I hope you have many fond memories of your time with your sister.
Phyllis
Old 05-13-2010, 05:29 AM

Sorry for your loss. Mourning is something we all do at our own pace and time. Maybe you would like to make something to remember your sister by and get back to the other quilt stuff later. As for quilt projects we all start something and never seem to finish it. UFOs are a part of quilting. I volunteer with a group of ladies at our local Senior Center. We handquilt tops that have been donated by members or their families after they pass. They are then raffled off to benefit the programs at the center. We have a huge closet there full of fabrics and half finished projects that have been donated to the center. I will be sure to make a note to my daughter to donate my stuff when the time comes. I know that I will never live long enough to use up my stash.
The only way I get some things done is to kind of shut my mind and "just do it". There are many things in life like washing dishes or changing messy diapers that have to be done. That is the only way I can get through certain tasks or times in my life.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I'm getting a bit discouraged. Granted I've been distracted by my sister's death and all that's gone with it, and I did chose to start with a queen-sized bedspread ( :roll: ) which probably wasn't smart..... but I haven't hardly touched it in weeks. I'm afraid I'll never finish it - and I've been collecting fabrics/patterns for other quilts I want to make, so I have a backlog already. I don't dare let myself start another for fear I'll never finish this first one.

How do you do it? Does it ever take you forever? I bet you don't let yourself buy for quilts you may never get to.
My condolences on your sister's death. A loss can really get one out of kilter. (Whatever a kilter is -)

I think the only time that TIME really matters on how long it takes to finish something is if an item is commissioned and the customer has been promised a delivery date.

If you don't finish the quilt you've started, so what?

Yes, there is the cost of the materials involved - but if you'd gone to a concert, or out to dinner, or on a trip - the money would be gone - and would you feel regret about it?

Put it aside and do something that you enjoy working on.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 AM

I bought a kit about 6 years ago, took it out a month ago and so far I have finished 8 blocks, have 8 more cut out an pieced together but not entirely completed. I work full time and I have many distractions and do my best quilting in the morning. I am jealous of those that can put a quilt top together in less than a week or two! When I have the time, I don't have the motivation and vice versa! You will get it done. Don't set expectations or you won't enjoy the process!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Please do not feel discouraged. We all get tired of looking at some projects and do not have the motivation to finish. I hand quilt so most of mine have been WIPs for literally years! I have a dresser full of future projects and still go out and buy fabric for new ones. Some of the fabrics I have selected for future projects have also been in my stash for years, but they are segregated to not touch because I have them dedicated. Sometimes it takes a brand new project to give you the motivation of completing an existing one. In addition, I always have several projects going at once! I have my hand quilting for when I watch TV then I have whatever is going on in my sewing room. Do not deprive yourself from investing in new projects just because you have a WIP going. A fresh project may just be what you need to get through the grieving process. Condolences on your loss.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 AM

I have an ugly quilt from 6 years ago that I have yet to finish. I even did some hand embroidery on it. It is from before I knew what I was doing. I will have to take a pic and post it, if I ever get it done. If you are not feeling one quilt or project, move on to another one till you are ready to come back to it. You should never feel pressured to work on a quilt or project. that is how you end up loosing your joy of your hobby.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 AM

We've all got the same problem, more fabric than time to do all our quilts!! I wouldn't have it any other way, it's too much fun looking and buying fabric for the next project whether I get to it or not.