Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt? >

How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I learned to quilt in 1987. I love so many blocks but I would have to say my favs are Log Cabin and simple 9 patch.
And and and ............. :D
My very favorite quilts are the antiques that I have. They are truly stunning.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Hi, I have been quilting for about 40 yrs. I like the traditional patterns, but I like to design my own. My favorite is using scraps and making scrap quilts that don't really match
Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM

I've been quilting seriously for about 6-7 years, although I have been sewing for 40 years. Gosh, that sounds like so long ago! I started sewing when I was 14. Always loved to sew, loved fabric. Made all my clothes for years. sewed for other people. Made home dec items: drapes, bedspreads, etc. Did craft shows, made dolls and small quilted items. Now all I want to do is quilt!
I'm always drawn to star quilts.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM

My favorite block is the Double Friendship Star. I have made a queen-sized quilt for a friend, it was simply beautiful. I like traditional, my grandma always made tulip appliqued quilts out of scraps leftover from dresses. She had an old dry cleaner's bag full of scraps. I loved to look thru her old button box. She started my love affair with fabric.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM

I taught myself to quilt in 2004. When I discovered I had to have surgery that would require a 6 week recovery, I stocked up on 6 BOM kits from JoAnns ("Pathway to the Stars" quilt) and hand pieced <very slowly> the entire quilt. I fell in love with quilting!

My favorite block is 'Log Cabin'. I love the versatility in the mere placement of the blocks.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 PM

I've been quilting for 10 years - started when first grandchild was expected - made a simple 9 patch baby quilt. No favorite block - have tried many and my list of things I want to make keeps growing!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM

I've been making quilt tops for about 10 years. I really don't have a favorite yet as I'm still learning. I love anything without points though.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I have been quilting 30 years plus...I love traditional quilt patterns...if I have to pick a favorite...I pick the weather vane block...but also love log cabin patterns. I also love to do machine applique...years ago did satin stitch, but now use the blanket stitch on my machine.

I do use patterns a lot because the math is already done, but do also know how to figure yardages for when I do design my own quilts.

When I have the time for it, quilting is so relaxing, and really makes me feel much less stressed than when I don't quilt.

What about you?
I have been quilting for just over 10 yrs. I am trying to do the Baltimore Bliss Quilt from Fatcatspatterns and I am doing the blocks in blue and cream. I am using the machine blanket stitch. I have 6 blocks finished and have only 3 left to go as I missed the first half of them. I love doing applique and now the machine is my friend.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 AM

I started late in life, thank you oldest daughter, so I have only been posessed for about the last 7 yrs. My favorite block is the one that I can get done that isn't too much of a disaster and has no "grand-canyon" flaws.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 AM

I started sewing at my grannie's knee. I can't exactly remember how old I was but I have making my own clothes and embroidering and smocking for nearly 50 years.

An extension of this was what the English call Patchwork (the piecing) and Quilting (the sandwiching). I went to a class about 15 or 16 years ago and fell in love. I loved it so much that the initial project a 9 block sampler quilt became a kingsize quilt.

I have not stopped since and have enjoyed teaching the skill to others. Being semi-retired, I now teach in a centre to integrate people back into society. I teach a class of older teenagers through to 70 years old who have disabilities or injuries ranging from autism to complex epilepsy to severe brain injuries. They love to try all sorts of needle work and have helped me with Suzanne's Secret Swaps.

My favourite block is Lady of the Lake. Lots of half triangles but it does move beautifully and I am making a modern art quilt for my grandson in burnt orange and chocolate using this block. It can be used as a wall hanging or a bed quilt. When I have got a bit further on than the design and fabric, I will post some photos.

It will be a while, tho as I am studying as a mature student and my poor, ageing brain is taking a battering.