Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt? >

How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 AM

I've been quilting since 1990 and just love it. Prior to quilting I did counted cross stitch, crochet, embrodiery, and sewing garments. I found I got bored with each one after a while, and here I am 20 years of quilting and am not bored at all. I don't have a favorite block or quilt, but I do prefer the traditional.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM

I've been quilting only a short time by comparison with many of your ladies (only 3 or 4 yrs ) not consistently due to ill health. I love the traditional blocks mainly. One of my favourite blocks is Jacobs Ladder although this may change as I come across new ones :lol:

Maybe1day
Old 02-16-2011, 02:46 PM

More yrs that I. Want to admit,, I guess 45. Yrs

Applique is my true love
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I have been quilting 30 years plus...I love traditional quilt patterns...if I have to pick a favorite...I pick the weathervane block...but also love log cabin patterns. I also love to do machine applique...years ago did satin stitch, but now use the blanket stitch on my machine.

I do use patterns a lot because the math is already done, but do also know how to figure yardages for when I do design my own quilts.

When I have the time for it, quilting is so relaxing, and really makes me feel much less stressed than when I don't quilt.

What about you?
I've watched my family quilting most of my life,but I only been making quilts on my own for 4 years.It can be very relaxing. The only time I get stressed out is when I try to match my mom's 48 years of quilting and I should know better than to do that.I have to mentally remind myslef that she has 44 years of experience on me and to relax and not try to do quilting at her level.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Been quilting over 30 years. This week my favorite block is courthouse steps. I like log cabin too.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM

REMEMBER, I AM NEW TO QUILTING AND THE BOARD, WHAT IS A MYSTERY QUILT

SHAR - QUILTED DOGS
Old 02-17-2011, 03:46 PM

A mystery quilt is one that you get one step of the pattern at a time. It usually tells you only that you need x amt of yardage for the fabrics and to choose a dark,medium ,and light or a combination of these. Some times I am quite pleased with mine and sometimes if I had known what the quilt would look like,I would have placed one or two of the fabrics in different places. Does this make sense to you? Hope so
Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 AM

THIS DOES SOUND NEAT, THINK I WOULD ENJOY DOING THIS FOR SURE. DO THEY HAVE THAT ON HERE SOME TIMES? HOW WOULD U GET INTO ONE OF THESE QUILTS? WELL, ALL KEEP ME IN MIND IF IT IS DONE ON HERE OK.......THANKS FOR EXPLAINTING TO ME.

SHAR-QUILTED DOGS
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 AM

I've been quilting about a year. I realize it's important to learn the traditionals,I prefer anything a little out of the ordinary that catches your eye. My favorite is the tumbling block, but used in "surprised" ways! I really want a live-in quilter to teach me everything!
Sally
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 AM

It's hard to pick just one but the one that comes to mind is jack in the pulpit. I first saw it on a very old quilt that was hanging on the line next door. Lynda found the quilt in a storage building and traced it back to it's owner. She said, 18years ago, that it was at least 70years old then. When put next to itself or with a snowball a really cool trellis designs happens.