Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt? >
  • How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

• How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM

I have been quilting about 6 years and I love any star block and log cabin
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM

I have been sewing for at least 55 years, and making patchwork quilts for probably 45 years, off and on. Most of my quilts at that time, were made from scraps, but I was happy with them and so were the recipients, usually babies. I have really been into quilt making, where I just go buy the material for a particular quilt, in the past 10 years or so. My favorite quilt block is the twisted D4P, which I happen to be doing right now. Ask me next week, and it will be the block that I am doing then. Very seldom do I do a pattern twice. So many to choose from. I love bright and bold colors. I have 7 grandchildren and when each of them turned 13, they spend a week with me, and we cut, sew, press, sandwich and SID to finish it off. They have all taken ribbons on their quilts at their county 4-H fairs. Now the older ones are graduating from high school and I stil have the younger 2 to get their first one done. But being semi-retired has really given me more time to sew and it is SOOOOOOOOO relaxing for me.
    Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM

I started quilting in 1993, I"ve been quilting for my family, sold a couple, 10 years I taught 17 women, they still quilt!, I love to try new techniques (I'm an eternal student). My favorite quilts are the Storm at Sea (pieced) and Hawaian quilt (applique).
    Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM

I really don't know how long I have been quilting. But I have made quilts for my 4 sons, their 3 wives and 8 granddaughters and 3 grandsons, 2 great grandchildren and 2 grandsons in law and one for my husband and 2 full size quilts for a couple of friends and of course place mats for Christmas and center pieces and lap quilt. I feels like 100 years but I think it has only been about 20. I like Trail to Oregon. Oh I sold 2 quilts just for the price of the material. I think I better get my journal up to date, I think I missed a couple of quilts. Henri
    Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 PM

Oh gosh .. hmmm my oldest is 34,I would say about that many years, I made the quilts for her room as I didn't like what they had out on the market. I would say I have been sewing clothes and such for about 40 years. I have hand quilted but really enjoy the sewing machine quilting.
    My favorite is the log cabin, its easy for me to teach the grands this one.
    Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM

I've been quilting about 2 years and love machine applique. I also love piecing - favorite block is the one I'm working on - or NOT!
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM

I am 61 years young my earlyist quilt memories are sitting under my Grandma Annie's frame watching her and friends quilting from below Grandma taught me the basics, It wasn' untill I was in high school that I made my first whole quilt. I tied it I was very impatient, and did not have time to hand quilt it. didnt atempt to piece another untill after I married and still tied them. Then had kids and needed to sew cloths worked full time, no extra time for me. Now kids raised and I'm retired. Have probley forgoten most of what Grandma Annie and Grandma Ruth taught me so started taking classes a lot has come back to me and I realy enjoy relearning the hand work. Grandma Annie did not do " fancy work" as she called it just plain quilting blankets to keep the family warm. Grandma Ruth did "fancy work" for fun. My Grandma Ruth is still with us and likes to "Check" my Quilts, In Sept. 2011 Grandma Ruth will be 102 years young, she is blind but her sence of touch is fantastic. She can feel the block and tell you how it is made. She even helped me finish the binding on a baby quilt! All by touch. My favorit block is the one I'm working on now. At this time its a set of pre civil war blocks I'm doing as a sampler. Every week when I visit Grandma she askes about this board and "checks " this weeks block. She keeps me on my toes!
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Started in school (34 yrs ago), got back into to big time after my husband passed away (14 yrs ago). The quilts I liked the most (4 of them), all came from the same fabric. Yet they all turned out differant, all done in a crazy quilt style. All made from ALL the ugly formal dresses we all have in the BACK of our closets (you know the ones, you thought she was your friend then she told you that you could always ware the dress again after the wedding). Cleaned my closets out & got to do the same for 2 friends. When I was finished I had one and my 2 friends each had one and my mother ended up with one. These dresses NEVER LOOKED BETTER! And we all got somthing we didn't mind letting anyone see on us - lol
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM

I've been quilting for 20 years. I also like traditional quilts but don't have a favorite block. I have several favorite books of quilt blocks. My all time favorite book is one by Linda Causee. Unfortunately, I can't locate it in my sewing room right now but the book has 360 or so block patterns that can take 10,15,20 minutes to sew. The measurements for the blocks are for 6, 9, and 12 inch finished. I've done every block in this book and they range from easy to harder (nothing was advanced as such).
    Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 PM

Only been quilting for about 2-1/2 years so still looking for my favorite. Love to try new blocks.