Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt? >
  • How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

• How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 PM

I've been quilting for 10 years now (post retirement); my favorite block is the log cabin (you can make anything out of it!); my favorite quilt has always been the one I'm about to make.
    Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
    2005 and I love to make miniature log cabin blocks thirteen or more pieces in a 2 inch block
    How is that possible? What kind oif seams do you have?
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 PM

I just started quilting in August of last year when a quilting group was started at work. I didn't even really think I'd stick with it.....was just going to support a friend who was starting it. I told them right from the start that the closest I come to sewing is cross-stitching.....I get cross every time I look a needle in the eye!

But here I am.....6 months, 8 quilts, 10 log cabin pincushions, and a dog bed later and I'm getting more and more into it all the time! I'd have to say that my favorite block is probably whichever new technique I happen to be learning at the time. Right now I am making a quilt for my daughter's teacher to present to her in May. It has paper-pieced apples on it, with 9-patch squares and also some fussy-cut squares between the apples. All 3 techniques are new to me, so I'm really having a ball with this quilt! I was told by one of the instructors in the group last week that with this quilt, I've caught on so quickly that I can now say that I've moved from the "Beginner" stage into the "Intermediate" stage of quilting! WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO!!! :c)

Donna
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM

I learned to quilt from my Mom & Grandma about 20 yrs ago. I put it aside when my children were growing and now that my cousin wanted me to teach her, I have gotten back into quilting 2 yrs ago. I find it so relaxing!

My favorite block is the Ohio Star.
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
    I just started quilting in August of last year when a quilting group was started at work. I didn't even really think I'd stick with it.....was just going to support a friend who was starting it. I told them right from the start that the closest I come to sewing is cross-stitching.....I get cross every time I look a needle in the eye!

But here I am.....6 months, 8 quilts, 10 log cabin pincushions, and a dog bed later and I'm getting more and more into it all the time! I'd have to say that my favorite block is probably whichever new technique I happen to be learning at the time. Right now I am making a quilt for my daughter's teacher to present to her in May. It has paper-pieced apples on it, with 9-patch squares and also some fussy-cut squares between the apples. All 3 techniques are new to me, so I'm really having a ball with this quilt! I was told by one of the instructors in the group last week that with this quilt, I've caught on so quickly that I can now say that I've moved from the "Beginner" stage into the "Intermediate" stage of quilting! WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO!!! :c)

Donna
    amazing....good for you!
    Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM

I have been sewing since I was a kid, only quilting the last 10. I have several favorite blocks: the pineapple block the feathered star and pretty much anything that is paper pieced.
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:17 PM

I took my first hand quilting sampler class 18 years ago - my big boy wasn't yet walking. I used to work at reproductionfabrics.com and really got hooked on reproduction fabrics, especially 1800-1850 fabrics. My favorite pattern is Flying Geese followed by stars and diamonds.
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:21 PM

I've been a quilter for about 20 years i self taught myself from books and tv shows lots of trial and errors tho i do a lot of traditional stuff civil war era quilts annd repo fabrics are my favorites mt favorite quilt is log cabin
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM

I'm 53 and have been quilting on and off since I was a teen. My favorite block is the one I'm working on. Always.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM

I have been quilted since the 1960's. Made my first quilt when my husband was killed after 1 1/2 yrs. of marriage. I had a 6 month of old daughter and she went to bed around 6:30 so I had to do something to keep my sanity. It was an appliqued oak leave pattern. Since that time I have been making mostly traditional patterns and my husband and I will be celebrating 40 yrs in July. He is so supportive of my hobby, never complains about me buying fabric. Also had a knitting business and sold knitting machines. Now I make mostly charity quilts and quilts for church bazaar in July. I am either sewing or hand quilting all the time. Just finished sewing a king sized triple Irish chain . Will post a picture when I have it quilted. My favorite pattern was the log cabin, but now I like mostly anything.