Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt? >
  • How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

• How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM

[
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by BobbiSue
    I've been quilting at least 40 years. My gramma and her two daughters taught me from a very early age how to sew by hand. I've never owned a sewing machine but have probably made hundreds of quilts and wall toppers. I also made all the clothes for my daughter as well as most of my own. Retired several year ago and now am working on a small quilting business. I prefer the old fashioned styles such as the rail fence or the log cabin. At least once a year I make an old fashioned block anything goes quilt for my granddaughter. She isn't interested herself but I want her to have something in the cedar chest that she can say 'my gramma made this for me in / year! I also enjoy the country style star patterns. I'll need to start next on the great grands...one boy one girl and one on the way....
    If you are going to store that quilt in the cedar chest be sure you wrap it in acid free paper or it will collect brown spots.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 PM

On and off for 35 years....would have to say my favorite block is log cabin.
    Working part time and a recent empty nester, I find I have more time to devote to this old passion of mine.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 PM

I have been quilting for about 22 years with little help. I like to make the log cabin first and lone star second. I also like to do different blocks to see how they will look quiltforfungrandmaG
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
    I .....She took me by the hand and led me into Jinny's office and said, "Jinny this is my Nonnie. She lets me dip my cookies in my milk!"

.... It's funny isn't it? How such a simple thing can mean so much to a child. The first thing they would do when I took care of them is ask if they could have milk and cookies. That's what Nonnies are for right?
    Yes ... that is what Nonnies are for .....

34 years ago my parents lost their lives thanks to a drunk driver. My 5 year old nephew was talking to one of his friends about our family's loss and said "They were my best friends. They let me eat cookies in their bed."
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM

I've been quilting for only 3 years, my quilts up until lately have all been scrappy. I've made 3 log cabin scrappy quilts, they all look different. I have a twisted sister that is still a UFO right now, I would have to say I like it best and plan to do at least one more.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:42 PM

i have quilted for 2 1/2 years, the same age as my oldest grandson (yep, you do the math!!)....i like all the blocks that i have done so far, but i really like to do machine applique...it seems i get really creative when i do the applique.....gina
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM

It's been 17 years for me. I love the Mariners Compass block and star blocks.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
    Banned

I've been quilting for about 11 years now. I love whatever I happen to be working on at the time, but one of my all-time faves is the Ohio Star.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 PM

I've only been quilting about a year and a half. So far I like the Turning Twenty, and the D9P. I have a lot to learn, and more blocks to discover!