Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long to make a quilt? >

How long to make a quilt?

How long to make a quilt?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:40 PM

I can get out a 40X60 inch comfort quilt for nursing home use in about 8 hours.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Finished a Storm at Sea quilt top in January. I started it 2-1/2 years ago. It took me another month to cut the backing that's laying on my dryer. I need to wash it and iron -- since each piece is almost 10 feet long I'm not looking forward to ironing -- so look at the pile and say -- "Okay, is this the day to wash and iron a section?".

I have problems with my fingers with arthritis in both joints in several of my fingers. It's hard to pick things up and do some things; but, I still try hand work from time to time. The quilt from above is all machine done; but, I like to try all kinds of things.

Just enjoy doing what do you. Don't worry about the time.

Linda
Old 03-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by gmak1953
I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?
When I go to guild meetings, I am in awe of the women who "whip" up a quilt or two (or three) since the last meeting. Simple quilts take me a few months - I push if it is for a gift. The last quilt that was more complicated took me 10 months - I finished it the night before it was to be entered in a quilt contest. My arthritis attacks unexpectedly, so at times I am unable to do much for weeks at a time. I have been working on a baby quilt top now for about a month and still have a way to go before I begin quilting. If I hand quilt it adds weeks and sometimes months to the time frame. Just work at your own pace. Quilting should be fun, when you feel stressed to hurry you are more apt to put it aside. Who cares how long it takes just enjoy yourself!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by gmak1953
I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?
I also have health issues plus MS. I am learning to quilt. My goal is to enjoy the process and don't worry how long it takes. When I go to my sewing room everything else goes away. So just enjoy yourself ! Oh, I'll leave you in on a
secret---"There are no quilting police".
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 AM

After many years of knitting, too many of them spent racing to meet a "deadlne", I no longer knit for any special occasion which means a deadline. (Some extremely rare exceptions, knit lace Christening layette to a deadline)

I carried this philosophy over when I began quilt making. I make quilts because I LIKE to make quilts. Do I give some away? You bet but it's bolt-from-the-blue gift for the recipient. Making anything to get done by a date certain takes all the joy out of the process for me--it becomes WORK of which I've had enough. IMHO
Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 AM

I am usually working on MY project quilt. Then, take a class on a new technique and spend time away from MY project. I get back to My project for a while, then someone needs me to help sew something. Later, another new class needs my time and I haven't finished the first class project or MY project yet.

And, another somebody, another new technique, a new incredible pattern idea I want to try out, etc. . .

I get something done, when I discover I have finished it. Usually, two or three things within a day or two of each other :-D

You know, life would be more organized if the classes were scheduled around MY finishing of the last class's project!

I tend to stop taking classes when I get two or three projects behind.

Quilting, ain't it grand?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 AM

Well, it takes me about 3 yrs to completely finish a quilt - these are queen size and hand quilted. this one I am working on now took me almost a year just to plan it - I make up the pattern and this one is a batik with cats machine embroidered in the center of the blocks. Hope it turns out ok. No health problems - thank the Lord - just a busy bee with other sewiing projects for birthday gifts ect. Time is of no essecense to make a masterpiece. Just lots of love. Good luck with yoru quilt - it will be beautiful!