Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long to make a quilt? >

How long to make a quilt?

How long to make a quilt?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by gmak1953
Is it common to have many quilts started? I've never started a new one until I had the one completed!
BTW what is a WIP? Sorry to be slow!
I always have one being pieced, at least one either ready to be cut or is in the process of being cut (over a period of several days or longer), one being hand quilted and, currently, I have another that has some machine quilting done and the binding on but I'm going to do some hand quilting in each of its 100 blocks. I have a half-dozen or more completed tops stored away until .........??????????
Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM

I try not to make it a race! I love the process, the finding the patttern (never hard), finding the fabric and then starting. I have found quilting to be such a blessing, it allows me to focus on creating a gift and in return, I receive so much pleasure! It
is such a wonderful passion, I hope others find it as fulfilling as I do.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lindy
I try not to make it a race! I love the process, the finding the patttern (never hard), finding the fabric and then starting. I have found quilting to be such a blessing, it allows me to focus on creating a gift and in return, I receive so much pleasure! It
is such a wonderful passion, I hope others find it as fulfilling as I do.
Nobody told me the "process". On my Field of Diamonds quilt, I just found all these beautiful blue materials that I just had to have, of course, and then looked for a pattern where I could use them all.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 PM

right now i have about9 works in process. some of the colors i am cutting for a flying geese sashing for a shop hop quilt are also going into a wall hanging for a friends quilting room...

i find i love the entire process much more when there is no deadline...but when the grandbabies came, i enjoyed getting their quilts done too...

nothing settles me like going up to my sewing room and "stoking" the fabric.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 PM

I guess its not how many quilts you have made.... its how many quilt tops you have made waiting to be quilted lol At last count I have three tops waiting and two in pieces waiting to be put togeather lol
Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM

I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?
Welcome to the board! :-) We all march to the beat of our own drummer. Yes, there are many prolific quilters on this board, but there are also just as many that have health issues, work, have a busy family and whatever else going on that might limit their time to quilt.

I was diagnosed with MS 17 years ago, and I have a few other auto immune diseases, too. Quilting is my therapy, but I've had to accept that with health issues and other interruptions that it's okay to get done whatever I get done in any day, week or month at a time.

Quilting keeps us moving and thinking, both good things to do to recover from strokes and if you might have MS. It is good for me to get up from my chair as often as I can to press, cut, etc.

I think it's important that you just keep plugging along and enjoy what you're working on. Many of us do work on some or many different projects at a time, and some only do one at a time. What's right, is what works for you, and you only. Try not to compare your 'normal' with others 'normal' - it's just not apples to apples.

Try not to let your health issues define you, but rather, try to make the most of your life by who you are and what you enjoy doing in life. Please, pat your self on the back for your success of working on your project when you can. You are not inadequate, you are doing what you can, when you can within the limitations that you have right now. Hang in there! Again, welcome.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

I sew fast so I can get one done in a few days depending on the pattern and size.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM

I love the process. I have 1 quilt almost hand finished, one awaiting binding, 1 pieced except for the last strip, 1 in pieces being joined, 1 collecting blocks. I have 2 baby quilts to be cut and made. They are the next priority. I'm collecting flying geese to make a wall hanging for my living room.

I have 1 quilt needing more blocks-will be my next boomerang quilt. I am waiting on the Farm Theme swap to finish dgd quilt.

I have the material and pattern for dd wedding quilt, dniece quilt, bff quilt, and 5 with patterns in clear boxes for dh and I.

I make quilts for kids for downy for my therapy and enjoyment. I love the quickness of them and the happy fabrics.

Quilting keeps me going when i want to give up. My health problems are monumental, bilateral pulmonary embolisms not responding to therapy and cellulitis in the same situation. Chronic kidney disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, herniated discs, sciatica and fibromyalgia all contribute to long term pain and confusion. Quilting gets me out of bed and moving, with a known progression and eventual completion. The joy of giving is just the icing on the cake.

I enjoy every step of the journey, collecting the fabrics, stashing them, collecting patterns, and threads, dreaming and designing, cutting, sewing, quilting and giving. God has blessed me with this gift and the gift of this group.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 AM

God has blessed me too, I love seeing what talent women have. And it is fun to create like the Lord!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:33 PM

I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?
Don't be concerned about how long it takes. Just enjoy the process. If you enjoy quilting and if it's good for you, then it's worth however much time it takes. I've completed a baby quilt in 4 but taken as long as 35 years to complete a quilt because I had a lot of learning to do before I was ready to go back and reconstruct that very first quilt. During my working years it took me 18 months to 4 years to complete a queen sized quilt, a year for a twin quilt. I machine piece and hand quilt. Time isn't a factor but the love that goes into a quilt. If I were under a time line, I'd have difficulty because life can and frequently gets in the way so I start a quilt and when it's finished it is finished but I do keep working away on it until it is completed. I have 3 in the finishing stages.
1. just needs the tag which I'll work on when I finish email today and it'll be ready for show and tell at quilting tomorrow.
2. needs to have the border (already cut) pieced and attached and then I can attach to the quilt and get it quilted - I quilt as you go in panels. Then bind it off and it's done. Sind I plan to machine quilt the border with a fancy stitch, I figure it should be done in a 2 weeks or less and I started it last July but have also worked on other projects.
3. have a top ready to sandwich 59x59 throw. I may do some machine quilting on it and then do detail hand quilting to finish it off.
4. getting ideas in my mind and ready to start on a queen sized quilt.

Just relax, don't put pressure on yourself as it's not good for MS and enjoy the process.

Hugs
Patty