Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long to make a quilt? >

How long to make a quilt?

How long to make a quilt?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 AM

I have so many health issues that I've been spending weeks in the hospital at a time...it takes me at least 2 hours to make a block, on the machine! It takes about a year to make a whole quilt, if I push myself. Some days I'm allowed in my sewing room only 30 minutes. Other days, I can happily spend the day and get more done. I hand quilt and I am quite slow at it. I love making quilts and think any day I can quilt is a good day! Enjoying the process, that's what counts for me.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 AM

It takes me a quarter past forever but they are nice when they're done! My last one was 9 months start to finish. Just enjoy the process and take pride that you are moving towards an accomplishment.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:16 AM

I have a blue and yellow quilt I have been working on for about 5 years. I was quick to make the top but it then sat for 2years . I would see it and kept telling myself I needed to quilt it but couldn't decide what pattern I wanted to hand quilt in the solid color areas. Finally after two years I dreamed I was quilting it and the design it needed to be done in. Searched shops till I found the proper stencils and have been slowly quilting this one now for about a year. Figure in two more years I should have it done lol ;-)
Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 AM

We're supposed to finish them??? I didn't get that memo!! :D

Seriously, I take forever. I have a million other things in my life so I don't dedicate nearly as much time to sewing as others on the board. But even when I do sew, I am not speedy. I have to rush through the rest of my life - I sew at the pace I want and believe me, it's slow. Don't worry about how long it takes you; it's not a competition.

Focus on this: Do you enjoy the time spent creating a quilt? Is it satisfying a part of you that nothing else does? If so, nothing else matters. So take forever - no one is keeping score.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Butting in here, but I DO know that answer. WIP is work in process. I am fairly new also to this board, so am also learning the acronym for some phrases.

As far as how long does it take to complete a quilt. There is no perfect answer. We all have varying factors that affect how much time we can spend on a quilt. The skill levels and details of a quilt can vary so many ways, it is impossible to have a "correct" time to complete a quilt. Just the fact that you are dealing with such medical problems and are still quilting is so inspiring to all of us. Just work at your own pace, enjoy the process, and don't put the time stress on your schedule. This craft is supposed to relieve your stress and give you peace. If you do need help with something, these quilters on this blog are awesome. I have learned so much just reading their responses. Enjoy your quilting!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I started a Burgoyne Surrounded in September, and it took 2 1/2 months to piece it. It is now in the frame, I am hand quilting it, so it will be another 3 months :lol: :lol: So, it does take me awhile to make one. Of course I do have the other 6 projects going also. I have never made one of the easy ones yet, but am thinking real hard about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 AM

I'm so sorry about your health problems, I have MS too. I think it depends so much on whether you plan to do the quilting by hand, on your machine. if you work, or howe much time you can spend on it, and the intricacy of your design. Simple block design could just take like a week to piece the top, while an intricate design could take much longer. I believe there is no right answer on time - just enjoy doing it and take it at your own speed. Good luck with everything! :thumbup:
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM

It takes me forever. Three months just isn't enough time. Heck, my quilt in a day took me at least three months. Quilt in a Day. SHE LIES. LIES I TELL YOU!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Are you talking about the quilt squares I made and embroidered
for my 6 year old son? The ones that he and his dad made sketches
of for it? The one with his tennis racquet, a Monarch butterfly like the
one he and his dad caught one day in the mountains? The one with
my son's protective Doberman Kurt's head? The one with all the squares
that I made with lots of love...and is still in the closet and just found
recently in a mad surge of de-cluttering?

My son is now 41 years old, my DH and his beloved Dad died 3 years ago,
and dear old Kurt many years before that,..but the memories live on in that
soon to be made lap quilt. Soon. One of these days.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:22 PM

It takes as long as it takes. Relax and enjoy the process.