Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long to make a quilt? >

How long to make a quilt?

How long to make a quilt?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM

I have a quilt that I started almost five years ago when my Husband and I were first married. It was a quilt meant for my future child. Five years later, my baby girl is almost 11 months old and it's not done yet! In actuality, I have three other quilts from that time period that also are not done...
A quilt takes me forever. Even longer now that I am a Mommy!!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:21 PM

The one for my daughter only took 14 years to complete. It would have been 13 years but I'm superstious.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 PM

I don't make big ones and it still takes forever. I am working again on the thimbleberries 2008 BOM, so that's 2 years.

It is not a race, it is a journey to be enjoyed
Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM

I have done a lap size quilt top in a weekend and sent it to the long armer to be quilted and I have one that took me 10 yrs just to finish the top and I took that one to the long armer last week. So I will finally get it done. but then I usually have two or three in progress as I get bored working on just one.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

It depends on the pattern. But most of my quilts take a while. I only have so much time to quilt. (work and family take a lot of my time) I get them done when I get them done. The most important thing to me is I enjoy making them.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 AM

I think it depends on how hot the fire is? Is it a need-to-do, want-to-do or just for enjoyment!! Everything has its own pace!! Just relax & enjoy what you're doing otherwise it becomes work!! :thumbup:
Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 AM

I think that it would take everyone different amounts of time, due to all the variables. If you work, have kids around, what pattern, how complicated of a pattern, how much time you have to devote to quilting, etc. It doesn't really matter though. What does matter is enjoying the process and seeing the finished product.

My Jacob's Ladders that I posted, well I made them in 4 to 6 days. I don't work, my kids are grown and gone, and quilting is about all I do. If I was working or had kids or any other variable, it could take 6 months or more.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 AM

For me it depends on the quilt and why I'm making it. I have completed a lap quilt in 24 hours for a co-worker whose daughter was killed in a car accident. It was a simple large floral block with sashing and corner stones, so not a lot of sewing. I have one I've been working on for over 2 years and it is no where near finished. If I dedicate myself to just one project I can usually finish a lap quilt (about 50x65) in 1-2 weeks.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM

the clearer my mind is the quicker my quilts are finished. i thought i had 27 quilts not completed but as i lay in my recliner to sleep, there went my mind counting. i forgot several more i did not add to my list.

goodness sake just enjoy what ever your hands are working on. enjoy the creative process...have fun!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by gmak1953
I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?
I too have health issues and my time to be able to sit and actually work at the machine are limited, depending on the day. Soooo, it depends on the size and the complexity of the pattern. I do my own machine quilting so it is not like I finish the top and ship it off the long arm quilters. (not able to spend money on that). 3 months would be average for me, however, a simple one can take only 3 weeks.