Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long to make a quilt? >

How long to make a quilt?

How long to make a quilt?

Old 03-06-2010, 05:25 AM

As I don't have much to do around here, I usually sew every day unless I'm taking a trip for fabric and I put in anywhere from 6 to 8 hrs. with coffee breaks. I can sew a top in a week if it is a smaller quilt, then takes about 2 days to quilt after I get it sandwiched.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:34 AM

I am new at this, it took me 2 months to complete, working an hour or two most every day,some days not at all. I did a log cabin, used my sewing machine, (nothing fancy) The size was a long twin. Lace
Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by gmak1953
I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?
Itdepends on how much time each day you can devote to it, how involved the pattern is, etc... Don't be discouraged!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:11 AM

do not judge yourself by others. I am so slow that if i did judge myself by others I would have quit long ago. It takes me forever. I work as a nurse in the ER, attend classes to finish my BS, have a family, so quilting is done in my spare time. Sometimes I get to it once a week sometimes not. No matter how long it takes, it is thereapeutic for me. A great stress reliever. I get it done when it gets done. Keep on quilting and march to your own drummer. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 AM

my first quilt was a WIP work in progress for 25 years. Took one year for the top, all hand done. Machine did not touch it. No rotary tools all individually measured and cut. So don't be too hard on your self.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:47 AM

I think if you are doing this for a hobby, you can take as much time as you want. If you are doing it for someone as a gift or to earn money, you will have to do the quilt in a certain time frame. Some have been quilting for many moons and are more adapt at it and some are just starting and have to feel their way along so it doesn't make sense to compare what you are doing with others. I almost always have several quilts in progress. I like to do this because I get tired of working on the same thing. I'm glad you can still quilt. I dread the time when I can no longer quilt.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Just the quilt tops, I have my 2008 bom half way done. Last years I only have the first 3 months and this year so far I am on top of it. The last couple of years I had been busy doing other projects for gifts and such. That this year I decided to make it a point that I get all of these finished this year with or without any other projects. Right now I am rotating my projects. Doing a couple of rows on one and then making a couples of blocks at the next. I hope to be caught up soon. Oh I also started a bargello in May of 2008 and have about 4 to 6 rows done. I hope to pick that up and at least get some more done to it.
With my husband not working for almost a year now, I'm not sure if I will be able to get them all completed. But I do want to get the tops done so that when I get enough money I can at least get one done at a time.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM

I really don't worry about how long it takes to finish a quilt. My objective is to enjoy the process. Compared to others, I am probably considered slow but it just doesn't matter. As a relative newby (only 2 years), I try to pick patterns that I'm sure will be not too hard. (so I don't give up) Even so. like most of us I have several UFOs in the works.

My main point is that it doesn't matter how many quilts you make or how long it takes to make one, just enjoy the activity. If you do that, you will have fun----and that is what quilting is all about.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 AM

I think basically, every quilter works at whatever pace is comfortable for them for whatever reason. Don't get down on yourself, just enjoy the process no matter how long it takes you.
God Bless!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 AM

OK guys! I've been following this post and I've read lots and lots of others. I too am kind of a newbie at quilting, doing it only 1 1/2 years so far. I have a question that has been driving me crazy! What is a UFO??!?!?? I'd really appreciate someone giving me back my sanity on this.