Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long >

How long

How long

Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone

Haha, if I'm sewing I try to ignore whats on tv... other wise I end up taking several hours to sewing together just nine pieces together... I'm going to try the machine tomorrow.

Thank you!
Good point! I have been at it for a while and I do most of my sewing during commercials. lol

What machine do you have? (and yes - by all means: KEEP the fingers away from the needle!!!!!)
I finally settled on audible books so that I can be entertained without having to look up and take time away from the sewing.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 AM

I had not sewn in a number of years and found it a bit daunting at first but the new machines are wonderful and you will love it. I know where you are coming from, but it just means to jump in and you will find it easier than you think. Good luck
Old 04-11-2010, 08:37 AM

I bouht a bobbin winder at Hancocks......half price sale
It works well and I dont have to unthread my machine to refil a bobin. It is batery operated
Old 04-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nanjun
I bouht a bobbin winder at Hancocks......half price sale
It works well and I dont have to unthread my machine to refil a bobin. It is batery operated
LOVE my Bobbin Winder !!! I have an extra spool of thread just for the winder....Works like a charm!!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:43 PM

How long does it take, once fabric is cut and a general idea of piecing is done, does it take to sew it all together on the machine? Also, how hard is it to actually quilt on a machine? (I have still yet to use the sewing machine... I know I know... but I have to get the bobbins wound... something i've never done before... and yeah... should be fun...)
Just start sewing and you'll find it's a bit like this forum - before long you've managed to spend a couple of hours on it and have had a great time :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

Just make a sandwich and play with it, sewing machines are toys to be used, once you get the feel of the machine you can start sewing your quilt. Penny
Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM

How long does it take, once fabric is cut and a general idea of piecing is done, does it take to sew it all together on the machine? Also, how hard is it to actually quilt on a machine? (I have still yet to use the sewing machine... I know I know... but I have to get the bobbins wound... something i've never done before... and yeah... should be fun...)
Who knows how long it takes unless you are making it to sell! I'm having too much fun to figure it out! :)
Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Anybody ever actually sew their finger? I did on an old treadle when I was a child. Went right through the nail of my index finger and broke. My mom was in the yard hanging clothes on the line. She told me to stay away from grandma's machine. I learned the hard way. I bought a plastic needle guard for my Viking and let my grandchildren sew without concern (although I am always next to them when they do sew). I still remember running to the yard and crying. My mom didn't yell at me :). Gerry
Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Putting a quilt together is only as time consuming as you let it be..You have to remember to take a break now and then to check out 'Quilt Board" That's when the hours add up. Both are great fun and once you start one or the other time flies. Take a deep breath and start that machine. LOL
Old 04-11-2010, 05:59 PM

just get at it ! slow &steady is better than fast & furious....as said earlier..enjoy the process: 1 step at a time...before long you have created a beauty from fabric that was once just pieces of fabric.........
Remember, don't be disappointed if there is a mistake: only God is perfect ! I learn from my errors !