Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

I am also a lone quilter. I'm pretty much a home-body and stay to myself a lot, so quilting has become a good friend to me. Though, I have to admit, belonging to a guild sounds kind of fun.

My sister and I used to get together to quilt, but we have both had major health issues lately and so have not gotten together at all for a few months now. She had breast cancer, a mastectomy and breast reconstruction. I have lupus, fibromyalgia, and residual pain from severe auto accident injuries. When we do get together, it is so much fun! We have made many wedding and baby quilts together for our children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews and their children too. We also work on our own projects when we don't have a project like a wedding or baby quilt. One time, my sister picked out a pattern and fabric and we made twin quilts for our sewing rooms. She also has quilting friends and when she is feeling well enough, they all get together on Thursdays and sometimes on Saturdays to quilt. It is a wonderful "women's" time together. I feel very blessed to be included in this quilt group when I am able to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    I have a busy, noisy job. I am a school lunch manager and feed 2400 kids a day. That sewing room is my oasis. I love the hum of the machine and no chatter. So I am a lone quilter.
    Wow. I used to be a teacher, and I always seemed to get stuck with Lunch Duty (as the band director, they seemed to think I had nothing else to do). I hated it.

I really admire you for doing your job. I know yours is pretty much a thankless job, and it is hard to do those.

I no longer teach, but run a music store. It is always loud in here, music is playing, or the repair technicians are banging away at a tuba bell, or a teacher is giving a lesson, or the kids are trying out instruments, or someone is asking me one of a bazillion questions.

I just love my quiet quilting time that starts around 8 pm, or all day on my days off. I stay up too late doing it, I know, and I probably don't get enough sleep.

But I just won't give it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Being a man, I'm pretty much a lone quilter as a result. I checked into our local quilt guild which has a pretty large following. They meet monthly and their website newsletter indicates that they have about 70 members attend each meeting. But I was looking at the bylaws on their website and it says that the guild is open to women only and that men are prohibited from attending any functions. That's the reason my initial post here on this forum was to ask if men are allowed, I didn't want to step on any toes in case they weren't. Happily, we are! :)
    Eddie, I just read this post, and I think this is so hilarious and stupid of a policy. You know, women were excluded from "men's clubs" for years (the local Sheriff's Posse horse-riding club still excludes women) and now the women are doing the same thing to you. Such a shame.

Some of my best friends have been men. As a matter of fact, one of my very best friends is a guy.

They are shooting themselves in the foot if they would restrict you from being a member. Your quilting skills are wonderful, if they only knew what they were missing, they would regret this policy. I'm sure some of the members would have a lot to learn from you.

Quote Originally Posted by NiceNCLady
    I would enjoy that too. There is a quilt guild in Raleigh which is not far but I would like to find a small group, sort of a quilting bee kind of setting. I believe it would inspire me because I'm really in a dry spell right now. I've almost forgotten what my sewing machine looks like lol
    Joan,
    I'm in Raleigh and I'd love to get together with other quilters. You'd like the guild meetings, there's a bunch of people and lots going on. If you want to come, let me know and I"ll show you around. Our next meeting is tomorrow (June 18th) and I'll be there. I've only been a member since November, and don't know many people, but I look forward to going each month.

I am a lone quilter well as much of a quilter as I can be . Is anyone near Salamanca New York

I've never had anyone to sew with. I've never had time to join a quilt guild or any classes. It's been a long hard struggle learning things on my own. However, I can't believe how much I've learned since I joined the two quilting sites. I used to watch all the quilting shows but I rarely see any now. It can be lonely but with all the women I've met online, I don't feel alone any longer. :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I was a lone quilter for many years after my mum passed. My daughter didnt have any real interest in sewing much less quilting until she had her first child. Now we get together at least once a week to quilt, sew, or do home projects. It's great, I finally raised myself a quilter.
    All of my boys know how to sew, but none have shown an interest in quilting(yet). I am still hopeful, though.

I have a group of 7 to quilt with. We get together 2 Saturdays a month to talk quilts, get opinions & work on our projects. Of course we go shopping whenever someone needs some fabric! This summer they surprised me buy organizing a quilt retreat. We're packing our sewing machines & driving to a little beach town 3 hours away. We rented a house that sleeps 12. We plan to stay in our pajamas & quilt all day :lol: Anything goes for a 4 day weekend. There will be lots of food & wine in the evenings! We got started by teaching each other to make flannel 4 patch lap quilts. After 3 years, we're making french braids & bargellos!!
    My female friends are such a wonderful support group, I recommend it to everyone :lol: Maxine

I have a great group of ladies I quilt with . . . I belong to a once a month guild and have a once a month group of friends there. I quilt weekly with a group of four other ladies and a once a month group with three others (we get together from 1:00 p.m. until after dinner - wine is usually involved!). I would highly suggest a group - even if it's just two! As we say in my group(s): "If you have four quilters - you have four opinions!" It's "sometimes" good to get another opinion! Hahahahaha!

Mostly I sew alone but once a year a group of friends get away for a weekend at church camp and sew, sew, sew. It is so much fun. Also about 4 times a year 4 of us get together and borrow the conference room at the library and we sew all day. Of course along with the sewing is much laughter and eating.

I wish I had a quilting buddy! I used to quilt with my daughter but she moved away. It would be so fun to work with someone. I am so grateful to have my quilting friends here! Thanks for your friendship and ideas.

Hello cajunquilter,

Where in South Louisiana are you Located? I live in Abita Springs , north of New Orleans.

Mary in Abita

:cry: Hi! Sadly to say, I am a lonely quilter too! :roll:

If anyone lives near Elm City or Wilson N.C. and doesn't have anyone to quilt with, give me a holler. We surely will work something out. :D :D

I enjoy going to quilt guild meetings and lessons, but the actual quilting I do at home. I am a care giver to my husband so that works great for both of us! I stay busy and creative and in earshot of him if he needs anything. Have been thinking about going to a "sit and sew" at one of the quilt shops around here, but never get around to doing that.
    Five of us formed a "Charm" group, a material exchange/dinner club, but no quilting goes on there, just fun and pattern sharing sometime.
    Judith

I am a lone quilter also. I hae a couple of relatives who quilt and we teach other things and show off our quilts, but never quilt together.

I used to have friends and relatives come to my house once a week and they would work on a quilt. Most of them didn't know how to sew so I had to teach them. I furnished all their sewing machines until they got their own.

I moved a little distance away so now I mainly sew alone. I do have a partner (male) that sews some, but he had to be taught also. He made a quilt for his son for Xmas a couple years ago and has designed one that he is working on...........and has been for a couple years. I always have to be there helping him though.

I have been trying to get some of my family that came over to work on quilts to come and spend the weekend with me and we will finish what they started. Some of them still have things unfinished that they won't do because they are unsure ..........but the problem is......getting them to come to me.

Barb

Hi Jamie,

Where are you in Lancaster, Pa? I will be in Quarryville and in East Petersburg from June 28th to Aug 2nd visiting my children. I would love to make contact and talk quilting.

Please don't be discouraged by one quilt guild - the ones I belong to are very friendly and always willing to help.

Where do you live? Maybe I can help you find a "good guild".

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I would love to have that, but there aren't many quilters here on Guam. :(
    I am with you Terri I would love that too but no one quilts in Argentina.
    I miss the quilting store I use to go to by my sister's house in Ithaca, NY. Use to go everyweek and sew with the same bunch of girls. I really miss that.

Unfortunately, my close friends are either not interested in quilting or not close physically ... some live over 3000 miles away. So .... a lone quilter lives at this house! I have made new friends over the internet who are as interested as I am in quilting, but again, there's that mileage problem! I've always been a lone quilter and, because I have no other quilting situation to compare it with, I am perfectly happy as things are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Being a man, I'm pretty much a lone quilter as a result. I checked into our local quilt guild which has a pretty large following. They meet monthly and their website newsletter indicates that they have about 70 members attend each meeting. But I was looking at the bylaws on their website and it says that the guild is open to women only and that men are prohibited from attending any functions. That's the reason my initial post here on this forum was to ask if men are allowed, I didn't want to step on any toes in case they weren't. Happily, we are! :)
    We have many men in our guild and they are extremely creative - perhaps the women don't feel comfortable having male competition..... :wink:

I quilt alone at home on weekends. But the bright spot of my week is Friday Sit & Sew at one of the local quilt shops. There is no charge - we almost always buy something. It is a great group and I miss it when I don't get to go.

Mary, How far away are you from Pearl River?

Zoe
    Bonjour from another Cajun who lives in the Virginia woods these days. I am lucky enough to have eight friends who love to quilt too. We get together once a month, bring our sandwiches, and quilt or sew together. There are no set rules, just bring some handwork, if you want to. Sometimes we just gossip and discuss any and everything. But we also split into groups of two or three to learn a new technique which is what we did with the One Block Wonder design, and the Tessellations design. Then we teach the others if they are interested. One of our younger members calls us "the Has-Beens." I am so lucky to have such a supportive circle of friends. And we are as different as one could imagine. :D

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast