Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Borders Do You Like? >

How Many Borders Do You Like?

How Many Borders Do You Like?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
It depends. I often go for a narrow first border and a wider second border. When I use fabric from the center in the large border, I pick something contrasting for the narrow to really make that one pop. Have done single borders, and have done 3. Usually, the amount of fabric I have dictates the width and if piecing is required.
other than listening to the quilt talk...this would be my answer. There are some really great books out there, about border treatments:
Judy Martin, Jill Reber, just to name a couple. Ask about.com has lots of free stuff...I like to sometimes, do pieced borders, and not always just plain ones, especially with applique on them. :D
Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

The more I learn about quilting, the more I like borders. I guess some of it is from doing the IRR too...but each quilt tells me what it wants.

Thanks for the quiltuniversity link...I'm going there now to check that out!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
It depends entirely on the main body quilt design. There's a great free class at Quilt University on borders. http://www.quiltuniversity.com/registrar_free.htm It will really open your eyes about what borders can do for a quilt! Check it out. :-)
They require personal information like full name mailing adress...I wonder how secure is it? any comments?... (I am really paranoic when it comes to provide personal information over the internet....)
Old 10-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ania755
They require personal information like full name mailing adress...I wonder how secure is it? any comments?... (I am really paranoic when it comes to provide personal information over the internet....)
The decision is, of course, only one that you can make for yourself. Many of us here, and thousands of others the world over, have taken classes there. They have very strict policies about security and follow them rigidly (like you cannot post a blog link to the discussion forum, etc). I suppose you could enter dummy info for all but your email address for the free class if you so desired (but you didn't hear that from me). They need your email address to send you the password for the class. Hope that helps.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by ania755
The decision is, of course, only one that you can make for yourself. Many of us here, and thousands of others the world over, have taken classes there. They have very strict policies about security and follow them rigidly (like you cannot post a blog link to the discussion forum, etc). I suppose you could enter dummy info for all but your email address for the free class if you so desired (but you didn't hear that from me). They need your email address to send you the password for the class. Hope that helps.
Thank you for the information.....I tried to give them my e mail but they wanted also my address....
I will continue dreaming (LOL) Hugs anyway
Old 10-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Well ania...I just went ahead and signed up. It looks like an interesting class.

We are all as careful as can be on the internet. I try to be very diligent but I do shop on line..use ebay..paypal..etc. The only problems we have had with our information getting out was once from a medical lab that our dr. used and gave them our information and once from a drug store where we fill prescriptions....so neither time was internet related. :roll:

Old 10-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Anne,

I usually make a small border and then a larger one. It is kind of like matting and framing a picture. Sometimes I am just tired of making blocks and add wider borders just to make the quilt the size I need. I would like to try the piping border that has become popular. I guess that will require piecing another quilt. I have a pattern in mind for something to make at my upcoming retreat. Maybe I will play with borders there.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I usually like two borders, but some quilts need just one and others need more. Just depends on the quilt I guess.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM

I usually add two borders - a smaller one about 2.5 " and then a wider one 4.5-6.5" wide... Thanks for the link for the course - it sounds interesting and I also signed up.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Banned

i guess it depends on the quilt :D