Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Do You Make? >

How Many Do You Make?

How Many Do You Make?

Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 AM

I find that I have been making fewer. Concentrating on making more challenging quilts and learning new techniques.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:13 AM

Most of my quilts are lap size, once in awhile a large twin, so 3-4 are my normal amount. 2018 will be the year that I make a queen for my bed, it will have a deep drop. That will probably be my biggest ever!!! Looking for a perfect pattern!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:32 AM

This year I purchased a Grace frame and was able to short-arm (LOL) the tops I made the previous year.....then my machine broke and is still being repaired. But I did quilt and bind 6 tops before that happened, I currently have 2 UFO's that I'm still piecing bit by bit in between making other things. So, really it depends on the time I have available.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:35 AM

I, too, am retired and live alone, so I can sew as much or as little as I want. I also have my own longarm. I have made 49 quilts of varying sizes this year, 3 king size, half dozen or so queen size. I make lap size quilts that I donate to my hospital's cancer center for the chemo patients. Also just donated 3 to a family with 3 little girls, who were burned out of their home recently. I also make baby quilts for a homeless shelter. And I keep quilts on hand for anyone in need. My goal is to make 3 more before the end of the year.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 AM

I start many quilts each year. Some are finished soon after being started and others go on the UFO pile until I can decide what to do with them. As far as actually completing quilts (art quilts, bedquilts and lap quilts) I cmplete at least 12 That were in the UFO stack each year and Maybe another 8 to 10 that are not UFOs. I’d guess that on average I complete 20 in any given year. I do all my own quilting in addition to making the flimsys. Most, but not all, of my quilts are ones I have designed myself and since a lot of my work involves improvisation, I end up starting quite a few new pieces each year. They do all eventually get finished, but it may be several years before one that got set aside is picked back up.

Rob
Old 12-14-2017, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

That's the second time I heard the word flimsy but I don't know what it means. Anyone?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:13 AM

For the last few years I have done 12 in 12 months. This year four were baby quilts. Yes, these are quilts but they are not as daunting as larger quilts. I am a scrappy quilt maker and I find these can go together rather quickly once you get over not planing every little detail of color placement. I also make a quilt during the Christmas break, spring break and then through the summer I can churn them out pretty quickly because I am home for several days at a time. When I am working full time, not much quilting gets done except finishing the hand work on the borders. This year, I gifted all of my colleagues with a quilt as I am retiring from my full time faculty position, 8 quilts. I do not plan on more than 12 quilts for 2018 but I do want to dive into the UFO's. That should get me to 12 by... June. It won't happen but I will keep moving ahead. Design, piece and quilt at YOUR pace. It is not a race but a journey of love, adventure, skill and beauty.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
That's the second time I heard the word flimsy but I don't know what it means. Anyone?
It is the pieced top. Not sandwiched with batting and backing. I had to ask the question a number of years ago. Old term but as you see, still used.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:28 AM

This is my first year of retirement. We have no family living around us. I have a HQ16 so quilting is easy for me. My husband has bad COPD so we do not go too many place. I am very active in a large charity quilting group here in Phoenix.

All that being said I made 98 quilts. I pick fairly easy patterns that let it be the star. Most are kids quilts--one width of fabric. I make about 20 good sized lap ones for our Veterans.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Almost exclusively I make lap quilts, about 45 x 60, a few smaller that that and many larger than that. I do simple patterns and FMQ at home using a basic meander. I made 30 quilts this year.

Like many of you, I also make a variety of bags and other items. I recently tallied my 2017 totals. All told, I made 316 items.

I make fidget quilts too. This year I made about 150 of them.