Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many finished quilts do you have?

Gifts, beds and decorate, lost count years ago.

have done many over the past 40 years.i currently have one on the frame that is for ME.a scrap quilt of my own design using mostly fabrics left over from other projects.most quilts were for engagements or weddings,graduation from college,that sort of thing.
    i have a list going on in my head of quilts to make,have one cut out for 5 yr old granddaughter,fabric gathering for her 8 yr old brother's quilt.just finished a colonial lady quilt for the daughter of a co-worker.only 5 other grandchildren to quilt for.then will have to start on next generation....;)

I give mine away ..but a word of warning...make sure you store them in 100% cotton either pillowcases or fabric and then wrap them in acid free tissue paper..the plastic totes can cause damage to your quilts if you leave them in there for a long time....blessings

Blog Entries
    the first 5 years i was a serious quilter i did not have a quilt of my own...i made over a hundred and gave them all away! finally i did make one for (me) i think right now i might have 4-5 finished quilts at home with no where to go...but they are usually already gone when i start it...either already have a gift recipient in mind or it's for an organization (donation) or it's an order and already sold....i never have enough hours in the day to make enough to have a stock-pile-i certainly have a dozen or so in my head i would like for me...some day maybe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ljfox
    I don't have any. I usually make them for gifts with the recipient in mind, or baby quilts to donate. My neices and nephews keep getting married or have babies so they keep me busy! I bought the fabric for a quilt for my bed and now one of my neices announced she is engaged!
    Ditto here too. We only have two in the house and they are my husbands.

Blog Entries
    Give mainly to the church as charity quilts for the sick. I do have two that were given to me, the first quilt I made (took me 30 years to finish), and two queen bedspreads. All the rest are gifted or donated. Oh yes, I do have one Christmas quilt made with blocks from my bee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearlea
    I give mine away ..but a word of warning...make sure you store them in 100% cotton either pillowcases or fabric and then wrap them in acid free tissue paper..the plastic totes can cause damage to your quilts if you leave them in there for a long time....blessings
    A couple of you have warned me about how to store my quilts.
    I'm getting mine out of the plastic. I just put them in there in October when we went to Canton and never took them out. I didn't realize I could damage them by doing this. I did have them in pillow cases before. Live and Learn.I'll be needing to make more pillow cases now.

I have given all my except one away. I am now making more for just me.

Most of my quilts have been for family, but I have kept a few.

Blog Entries
    I have stored in closet which I switch off and on on my bed, one on each of our reclincers lots of wall hangings for different seasons and the rest I give away. Gave away two weeks ago and have four more to give away this week.

Blog Entries
    I have four stored in closet which I switch off and on on my bed, one on each of our reclincers lots of wall hangings for different seasons and the rest I give away. Gave away two weeks ago and have four more to give away this week.

I've actually given mine away and am finally making one for myself, shocking those who know me. I really just wanted one for myself. We have many quilts that my husband's grandma made and we tend to use those if they are not too worn. I have one for our bed that is 1/2 completed and Honey keeps asking when I'm going to finish it. I think he is tired of the old comforter we are using.

well, I just finishing one that has been promised and then I will start making them for the Linus Project and the local girls home.

I give most of mine away. Have 5 that kept for my home :-D

I always make mine for someone in mind or to give, I have never kept any of my quilts. One of these days I'll make myself a quilt

I know this was said before but I feel it should be reemphasized that you should only store quilts in a cotton pillow case, wrapped in acid-free tissue paper. It really preserves them. So we should probably make a pillowcase along with the quilt. Ya think???

Blog Entries
    i've gifted over 300, i probably have about 20 quilts at home with an additinal 40 tabletoppers and wall hangings.

Blog Entries
    Most of mine are made for a particular person or cause. However, I do have a few "closet quilts" which are solely mine bacause I made them!! I enjoy giving them away and they are always appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943
    Store your quilts in cotton pillow cases if you don't have them out, but they will dry rot in plastic bags if they don't get air. Even then you need to get them out every 6 months or so and lay them out on a bed for a couple of days. Quilt museums store theirs laying flat in huge drawers. That would be the very best.
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I have so many quilts made that I have bought those plastic zippered bags to store them in. My closet is filling fast. I did sell one the other day. Hurray! But, I think I may need to get a bigger closet. I've gifted a few and donated one to raise money for a sick child. So, what do you do with all the quilts you make?
    A good rule of thumb is to only store a quilt in an area that you would be comfortable in.

I can't seem to get enough made to gift to all our family. I'd love to have a big stack to show off here at home

I have made over 50 quilts, I have about half of them. The others were gifts, or sold.

I have about 6 or 7 mostly wall hanging types. I have lots of tops to finish and hopefully some will be mine. I have given away 5 to 10 a year for charity for the past 10 years. A few years back, I took two years to make bed size quilts for each member of our family (all 15). Now I am trying to make some bed quilts for my self.

I have made way over 100...I'd have to get my books down
    and count. I have probably 40 here at home,maybe more.
    Three beds, and they always have a quilt on them, but I do
    change them from time to time. Some accumulate because our
    guild only has a quilt show every 3 years. I like to put them in a quilt show before I give them away. A few are
    baby quilts, and I keep a few on hand so I don't have to stop in the middle of another project to do a couple. I
    hand quilt, so I can't just whip them up real fast. Several
    years ago I made seasonal quilts..one for each month of the
    year so that wall hanging changes 12 times a year. Then I
    have an enclosed front porch and I always have at least one
    out there, sometimes more than one, and they are also changed out for the holiday or occasion. A few I made in
    the 80's and I would find it hard to part with them right
    now. Oh, yes, three displayed on an old ladder in my living-room, one my mother made, one my paternal grandmother
    who died before I was born,and the 3rd was made by my
    maternal great grandmother. I love having them out where
    I can see those every day.

i gift them to the animal shelter they auction them off at the x mas auction.They always need help, the rest go to my friends

Blog Entries
    Define "Finished" lol :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast