Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many machines do you own? >

How many machines do you own?

How many machines do you own?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 AM

Lets see. I have pared down quite a bit before I moved.
Brother QC1000 my main machine
Singers:201(getting a spa treatment)301A (got it from a friend at Christmas)401,403,503,
Household, Kenmore 48.
So that makes 8 .Hopefully I will be able to set up a few to use once I get my room done.

forgot about my serger . that makes 9? I do have a small Mueller(?) hand crank but it is only for show.Now do my toy machines count?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:36 AM

I have way more than I have room for. Trouble is, I can't find it in my heart to part with any of them. Sad, but true. I even brought another one in this Sunday. Someone broke into the old barn at the mom's old place and stole a bunch of stuff. They didn't touch the house (yet), so I went in and drug the old Pfaff 130 home from there before they steal it too. So, now I have 11 machines total.

They took a blacksmith's anvil that has been in our family since my 5 ggrandfather left Germany in 1832 for the USA. How sad is that... I have got to figure out where I can store the old Singer 3135... working on that one. It's still over and Mom's.

This is me too. I have 6 machines, 3 are new. I still use my 30 yo Bernina which is not going to last much longer. My repairman said he has never had anyone wear one out before. I'm thinking of having him rebuild it since I can't find another machine I like.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
I have 14 sewing machines. Two treadles and one handcrank for just in case the electric ever goes off. I also have a collection of singers, a feather weight, 301, 401, 500, 99, and a 15-91. The rest I haven't made up my mind as to weather I want to keep them yet. I find it very helpful to have more than one sewing machine.
Okay, now I don't feel so bad having 11, some old ones and 5 newer ones. I keep one for embroidery, (the Diamond), one with the walking foot, one with a 1/4" peicing and one for winding bobbins and using a different thread color. I also have 2 sergers and a blind hemmer. I have a treadle I brought upstairs so when the power goes off next time I can still sew. Last time it was in the basement and too dark to sew down there without power.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 AM

I have two that are working and one that isn't. My DH has taken over one of them, so, I guess you'd say I only have one. But, there is more in my future!!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 AM

Wow, that's a loaded question. I have one new Singer, one very old Singer, one new Serger, a "new" Brother (about 2 years old, hardly used, but it blew a gasket), and about 10 in the attic in various stages of blown gasket. Thinking of getting a small backup. Gave one away to two of my daughters, that's... can't be sure but that's a whole lot of sewing machines. I'm beginning to suspect I might have a problem... :shock:
Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 AM

I Have four - a Janome 6500, currently broken; a cheap Singer my husband bought on the web; an old Kenmore that will only sew backwards; and a Huskvarna Viking my husband bought at a yardsale for $10, which is the one I'm using right now. It sews beautifully. Nothing fancy. Had to buy bobbins for it, and they cost $12.95; more than the machine! I need to get my Janome fixed.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 AM

Oh, in additon to those 4 I have a Janome serger, and a 1905 treadle machine that works.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 AM

working and non-working=8
I sew mostly with my Kenmore, 1975 singer is back up and my treadle works, others are for "love"
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM

I have 18 and they all are in great condition. Here's the list: One Singer 15-91, one Singer 66, one Necchi Bu Supernova, made in Italy, two Singer 99's, one Singer Spartan 192, one Singer 101, three Singer 201-2's, one Singer 301, one Singer 401, one singer 404, 3 Singer Featherweights, one singer 2010 Touch-tronic, and a Brother cs6000i. I think that's all. I'm going to keep all but 4 of these machines. I'll be selling the 66, the two 99's and the 192, BUT I will be adding a 500 to my collection as soon as I can find one reasonably priced! I love the vintage machines because they are so reliable and I can do all the maintenance on them myself.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I have 6 and a serger. But if I start a project on one I like to fininsh the project on the same machine is that not wierd?
Actually, that is how I was taught. The seam allowances from machine to machine can differ.

I once made quilt blocks on a serger at the shop where I bought my serger. I used the fabric guide (extra purchase) on the machine in the classroom. Went home and put same guide on exact same model of serger (I'm positive it didn't get bumped or moved) and when I started putting the blocks together ... the seam allowances were not the same and, of course, the fabric is cut away with a serger.

Wouldn't you just know it ... the majority of the blocks were bigger than the ones from class and I had to sew on the sewing machine extra seam allowance on each block to get them to match.

Needless to say, this is a major UFO in my closet from 1994! I ought to pull it out and just make something with the bigger blocks and have it be less than queen size. I'll have to go back and see how many blocks I'm talking about.

BTW I went back and measured the classroom machine?? The hole for the screw that holds on the attachment was not the same distance from the needle as my exact same model!