Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric? >

How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?

How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 AM

If you figure 5 yards for the front and 5 for that back - you ONLY have about 50 quilts give or take depending on the size of each quilt!! I don't even want to think about my sewing room and how many yards of fabric I have!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM

At least that much and just bought some yesterday...but I feel that if I don't get what I like when I see it, then when I need it they won't have it! I do pay cash..and I don't over spend...except when I go to the Houston Quilt Show...then it's a free for all...if I like it then it's mine!!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 AM

You have maybe 500 if they're all a yard each
Old 01-09-2011, 10:00 AM

me either, and I keep getting donations of fabric too, which is all lined up in the basement :shock:
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 AM

That is about right for someone that is sitting in a chair, but if they need to pull it up maybe 60 in length would be better...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM

20 yards could be right...It takes about 9 yards for the back of a king size quilt sothe same for the front and binding....
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM

OK....so what happened in 2010 that spurred this buying spree. Did you win the lottery?...Find a wonderful quilt shop you just couldn't stay out of?....found the perfect on-line quilt shop to order from?....find a fabric shop that was going out of business?...take quilting classes that encouraged your creative side?

I have a lot of fabric....I like scrap quilts, but I don't think I have anywhere near 500 yards. Good luck and have a fabulous time with your stash....but take lots of pictures to share...and keep track so you can answer your own question...How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?!!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Well my saying is : Never count my sewing machines. It is bad luck! I really don't know how many I have. True. I do count sergers I have 2. But when helping a friend move her fabric which covered a spot of 12 feet long 10 feet wide and 5 feet high we estimated that she had with the bolts stacked to the side and the fabric we where refolding she had 10,000 yds. yes she still buys fabric. I don't have as much but it is close. I give fabric away all the time. I make about 12 quilts a year.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
OK....so what happened in 2010 that spurred this buying spree. Did you win the lottery?...Find a wonderful quilt shop you just couldn't stay out of?....found the perfect on-line quilt shop to order from?....find a fabric shop that was going out of business?...take quilting classes that encouraged your creative side?

I have a lot of fabric....I like scrap quilts, but I don't think I have anywhere near 500 yards. Good luck and have a fabulous time with your stash....but take lots of pictures to share...and keep track so you can answer your own question...How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?!!
Heh, I blame the mirror... I had a mirror opposite my uncovered fabric shelf for a while and as they say in Feng Shui, mirrors double everything. Definitely confirmed in my case LOL - it kept doubling and doubling and doubling!!

But you're on the right track, it was a course that gave a huge boost to my creative urge. Not a quilting class at all though (I'm all self-taught - and quiltingboard taught, of course!!!), but Julia Cameron's Artist's Way. A true miracle of a book. It gave me inspiration to start quilting.

So I started quilting, found this board, discovered batiks and affordable US online fabric shopping (my LQS tend to carry more traditional and muted stuff, at hair-rising prices)... and off I was.

I have now made a commitment not to buy more fabric this year, except as needed for projects. Oh, and I've covered the pesky fabric-attracting mirror. ;)

And thanks for all the encouragement, that is so inspiring. I'll definitely post pics, but so far have only finished three quilts, with my fourth on the way. I'm sloooow.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by skothing
Well my saying is : Never count my sewing machines. It is bad luck! I really don't know how many I have. True. I do count sergers I have 2. But when helping a friend move her fabric which covered a spot of 12 feet long 10 feet wide and 5 feet high we estimated that she had with the bolts stacked to the side and the fabric we where refolding she had 10,000 yds. yes she still buys fabric. I don't have as much but it is close. I give fabric away all the time. I make about 12 quilts a year.
LOL. 10,000 yards?!!! 10x12x5, that would just about fill my bedroom, halfway to the ceiling! Not sure whether that's my nightmare or my dream...
I can still count my machines easily at the moment, phew. ;)