Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 AM
C.

I have had 10. No longer have 3 as traded in two a few years ago. I have 3 Featherweights, a serger, Janome 9700, Janome 6600 and a Janome 3160. I love them all with the exception of the serger, it is now 13 years old and only been used once. I sew mostly on the 6600, love it, what a work horse and no problems. My sweetheart has spoiled me! My granddaughters will someday get the FF. My earliest FF is a 1941 and love thinking about the person who had it in the prewar days. What did she sew. Did she ever make a quilt. Makes me feel special to have her machine. What's next, none. I think I have plenty!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 AM

I don't know for sure - around 30, give or take a few.

I do know that it's time to clear some of them out because they're not getting used much. Others are in the garage, not used at all because there's no more room in the house for them.

Restoring the old gals is as much fun to me as quilting. :)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:58 AM

I have 5. A Euro-Pro digital with over 700 stitches, a Brother sewing/embroidery, a 1962 Singer Touch and Sew in a cabinet with all attachments and manual, a 1949 Singer FW with case, attachments and manual, 1917 Singer Model 66 "Redeye" treadle with attachments, original cabinet and manual, and a serger. I had 8 machines but gave away 3. Do I NEED them all??? YES!!! For my own happiness. I have worked hard and endured a lot, just as most of you have, and I deserve to have things that I like as long as I can afford them and it doesn't harm anyone. And yes, I actually use them all.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 AM

I have 5 and it's not enough. One is strictly an embroidery machine, one is a serger, one is a 1927 Singer, 2 are computerized machines. When she is through using it I will have my Mom's 1936 Singer Treadle model 15 that my Dad bought her brand new a month after they got married. I could always find a place for more, but DH doesn't understand. I just love them and want them.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 AM

Last count 19, but then I collect older Singers as well as use them. Trying to down size lately:)
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 AM

I only have 3 My big babylock espire which is a pain to move, my brother SQ9050 that I just got for in front of the tv and classes, and my older brother XL3500i which will be my daughters when she gets a little older and is ready to quilt
Old 10-16-2011, 07:16 AM

SEWBEADIT - Have you test drove any of the new sergers out there? I did for a brief time and they are TOTALLY different that the sergers from 27-30 years ago...when I bought mine for about $100. Some of the fancier sergers today run upwards and over $800.00. Lessons would surely be included.

I 'collect' older Singer sewing machines and use some of them regularly...in different rooms...depending on the season, time of day and fabric sewn.
I look at them as investments too because almost all of them were purchased at sales for well below market value. If I sold them for $10 more than I paid for them, I'm still making money, right???
I always thought that if a friend were interested in sewing I could give them a machine that would work beautifully. That situation came up just this week and I will be giving one to a friend who has a non-Singer old machine that's on it's way out the door.
I'm also 'thinking' about thinning my collection down to just a few machines but I can't make up my mind which 'few' machines to keep. :(
Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 AM

I have 8. Not all work, but did at one time.
I still have my original Kenmore, though it needs work.

I like the ones I have. The latest ones I bought are older ones that I have spent time getting to work.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 AM

I have 6, not including my serger. One is a treadle Singer that I do not use and is willed to my eldest daughter. (It was my first machine that I bought for $16 when I was 16 years old.) My Janome 11000 is upstairs and is the one I use most of the time. Two of my downstairs ones are a New Home (computerized & a real workhorse) and a very basic lightweight Pfaff. I use them both occasionally. The answer to your question, "Why?" is: I needed to upgrade to get features I wanted. I upgraded twice over the last 30 years and, since all my machines work well, it would be foolish to trade them in ... I could never get what they are worth on a trade-in. Machine #5 is the newest ... a Janome 1600DPX bought & set up strictly for quilting. #6 is one my son brought here ... it is old and in a small cabinet. The UK manufacturer is still in business, but I cannot get any e-mail response from them; this machine is missing the bobbin case. The small sturdy cabinet serves as a "table" in my sewing room and the space underneath is is perfect sized space for GO cutter dies/storage rack.

Although I still look at the new, high-end machines (on-line), their specifications & features, I'm currently satisfied with what I have and have no space for more.