Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
Let's see.....most of my piecing is done on a 15 year old Bernina 1090. Then I have a Singer Featherweight, cause it's so cute! Also kept the first machine I ever bought, a JC Penney machine. Collected 3 or 4 older Singers in the wooden cases since I like antiques. And found a Singer treadle for about $20! And then I have a Prodigy longarm and an A-1 longarm. Oh, better not forget the 7 or 8 antique toy machines - Singer, Casiege, Sew EZ, etc.

I just like sewing machines - doesn't mean I use them all. Think about it - alot of people collect stamps, doesn't mean they use them!! LOL

Well, darn, I just thought about a couple more machines - got an older machine in a cabinet that belonged to my mom's neighbor, and DH's mom's older cabinet machine. Maybe I better quit buying machines!!! ;-)
Andi, a girl after my own heart. Just got my A-1 long arm and have lots of other machines. Featherweights 3 or 4, gorgeous treadle that sits in my front hall (I like people to know what I'm about when they visit), a White in a Martha Washington cabinet (they knew how to do cabinets, beautiful), a 15-90 Singer that was my mil who died 60 yrs ago, a Necchi with the first zigzag, Singer 201 - still the prettiest stitch of any machine. Then my 10 needle embroidery machine, serger, coverstitch machine, Juki F-600, and tl98. My husband has a huge woodworking shop so he doesn't mind at all.
Judi
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 AM

Right now I have 6 sewing machines, three of them are Berninas. I used to work with a woman who spent $60.00 every two weeks on Vodka, and couldn't figure out why she couldn't afford to do anything or buy things she wanted. All she got out of that was many hangovers. I have a lot of quilts, jackets and numerous other nice things to show for what I've used my machines for. I work, I pay my bills, and I use the rest for what makes me happy. So if I were to see another sewing machine that I thought I couldn't live without, then it would occupy it's own placre in my house right along with the others. Do I ever trade a machine in?? Oh no, once it is adopted, it is family.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 AM

I have 2 Berninas. A Bernina 150QE for piecing. A Bernina 180E for embroidery.
I can't imagine wanting/needing any more machines. (?)
I can only sew on one at a time. :0)
I am curious as well why the need for more machines.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 AM

I have 3; Bernina Quilter's Edition (my first expensive machine) and then I purchased the Viking Designer SE (to do embroidery). It's nice to have an additional machine when one is in for maintenance. My 3rd is a Featherweight. I have never used it, its just sitting on a shelf looking pretty.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 AM

Hello Doris I have a question I am new to the forum, I see you have a Juki TL- 98Q and so do I. I would love to put it on a frame and have been trying to find someone that has one set up but no luck yet. We even took a trip to KC they had on-line that they was a store there that had one set up but not true. I am not sure what frame to get and what all I will need to get it going, would you mine letting me know what you have? Thanks for all your help.
Brenda
Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 AM

I have 3 and looking at #4. My main work horse is my Bernina 440 QE. I have a Juki for my quilting frame. I have a cheaper Singer that I use when I make bears (the fur and the leather etc. wears on a machine, I can afford to replace the Singer more than the other two). I'm looking at #4 a small simple machine to begin teaching my GD how to sew with.

I know some people are like me, different jobs = different machines. Some people are collectors and God love them, they keep the history alive and visible and cared for.

I guess everyone is different and has different reasons and priorities?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:31 AM

Well let me see I have 2 that I use all the time, 2 other that are stand by, 2 sergers ,my minatures don't know how mant there is and Oh! my treadle Machine none eleactic, and of course my new Elna that I just bought at Quilt Show in Houston should arrive soon. love then all.
returned back here and the weather is sooo iffy. it is pouring right now. Guess i'll have to stay indoors today and checkout all of my goodies from the QS.
Noella
Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Bernina 430 for general sewing and piecing
Featherweight for taking to meetings
Longarm for quilting.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 AM

Bernina 830LE, Bernina 635, Bernina 200e, Bernina 230, Husqvarna Viking Designer SE, Pfaff Select, Janome 11000, Janome Jem, 5 Singer FWs, 2 Juki sergers and one Reliable Dreamstitcher overlock.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Lost count but most are vintage machines. (15?) DH and I like collecting them and he enjoys restoring them. I like working on some and others are there just because they are cute. DH also uses the vintage ones. My modern one is a Janome 6500 I received for my birthday from DH almost 8 years ago. I would also love a long arm. Most people have atleast two machines, one simple light weight little one for class and one with bells and wistles for home.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 11-09-2011 at 06:09 AM.