Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by smitty
I collect vintage Singers, but would buy that one in a minute. and a pink one,
and a turq. one.
I wouldn't want to enable you :twisted: :twisted: but if you want some of the cool colored machines you should check out the vintage Brother sewing machines!! I have a turquoise, buttercream, black raspberry ice cream colored machines.....so far...lol! To get a look at what is out there it is fun to search for 'vintage Brother sewing machines' on eBay.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 AM

I have 9 to date, counting the antique ones.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by smitty
I collect vintage Singers, but would buy that one in a minute. and a pink one,
and a turq. one.
I wouldn't want to enable you :twisted: :twisted: but if you want some of the cool colored machines you should check out the vintage Brother sewing machines!! I have a turquoise, buttercream, black raspberry ice cream colored machines.....so far...lol! To get a look at what is out there it is fun to search for 'vintage Brother sewing machines' on eBay.
Oh, great, just when I felt I was getting my addiction under control... now I HAVE to check out the vintage Brothers!!
;-)
Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 AM

I only have one and I can DEFINITELY see the reason to have more than one....mine's in the shop and I can't sew until I get it back!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 AM

I have 2, both brother's (CS-8150 & XR65T) Then I have 2 sergers, (1-Brother-1034D & 1 Singer). I would love to have a FW, but my husband would have a fit. :lol: :lol:

debra
Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by angelarose
Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by angelarose
I have a Janome 2010 and an old Singer that was my mother's.. not a Featherweight but an old one in a cabinet. It sews great.
I know to each his own, but I can't appreciate or justify collecting sewing machines...yet. The Board is so influential though, you dears.
But, I do love to collect seam rippers and scissors! Do you think I'm gearing up to collecting machines??????? Uh oh :?
I think you may be in trouble.... :lol:
lovelyl: I'd love to have a Featherweight, but I'm so afraid of getting scammed if I buy on eBay or an on-line place like that. Do these machines really cost 500-600 dollars? I wish I knew someone personally or have someone recommend a seller. I know, I know I don't need a FW, but something is calling me to consider one.
All the FW's do not cost $500-600. I only paid less than $200 for either one of mine(YES, I know I got a GREAT deal!!)
I bought my first FW on e-bay & have NO problems with it. Just make sure to check out the seller's reviews & return policy. I just purchased my second FW a few days ago & am anxiously awaiting her arrival along with her own FW card table, yeah!!! I'm still looking for a "white" and a "tan" FW!! Something that I can't afford right now, but am saving up for. I do keep my eyes open for them at all the antique and flea markets that my DH & I go to on the weekends. Now if any of you generous board members have either one of these wonderful machines just setting around and want a really great home for them I'll send you my addy, lol!! I'm just saying you never know, right?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Well, as of the moment I have 20. Four of them are 99K's and i use almost all of them. Today son went with our Dd and they go to the thrift stores and I probably will have at least one "new" oldie when he gets home. He and I love these old machines but we have not spent over $20.00 on any one of them. I think it is fun to have more than one machine as one might break down and then there is one more to choose from to sew with.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 PM

I hear you. I have a Singer 2233 I think is the model number, that I bought when my 32 year old daughter was 6. I recently bought a new machine, put my old machine in the shop for an $80 tune up, and wish I could send the new machine back and get my money back. It works fine, but I miss 'Miss Missey'. I have 2 machines, 1 serger and an embroidery machine. I love them, but have come to the conclusion that youcan only use one machine at a time. Izzy has to go.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Having the right tool for the job is important. I have a Featherweight for taking to retreats, bees, workshop etc. I would like to get a Serger, but have not done so. Also have a fancy embroidery machine so I can make labels and so embroidery designs on jackets, etc. Also, would really like to have a industrial machine for making purses and heavy weight stuff, but will wait until I have more room for that. It is nice to have a back up machine. A couple of times I was going to a retreat in a couple of days and the expensive computerize sewing machine developed a problem and was not AVAILABLE for a week to 10 days! Yikes!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

three, and don't find the need to use them except for affixing 1st stage of binding---------HATE/HATE/HATE them.