Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Just counted, 26 machines and 4 sergers. One serger is going to my daughter though, so that helps. Most of them are vintage and all of them are in great condition. It is fun to fix them up and get them working.

Pat
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM

I have two sewing machines - both Singer. One is a school model that I purchased 6-7 years ago when I was getting back into sewing; the other is my mom's old machine from the 60s, I believe. I use it for my vintage buttonholer and as a backup. I also have a serger, and it's been a godsend! I much prefer the seam finishes in the clothing I made since I bought the serger.

Not planning on adding to the small herd, but I do look at thrift stores when I'm there.....
Old 10-21-2011, 03:36 PM

I have 4,
one Kenmore that used to be mom's,
one singer computerized hubby got me for our 30th anniversary,
one Janome regular machine I just wanted,
and one Janome surger I could'nt live without!

I'm always on the look for more though!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM
sap

I have about 40 machines n they all work! and just today bought a Singer touch n sew for $4.99 at the thrift store. I like to look and play with them, clean them up n maybe give one to someone that cant afford one.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM

I only have too.

That's right, TOO many! Well over 2 dozen portables, a FW, a treadle, a handcrank and 7 or 8 cabinet models. + a Viking Mega Quilter w/frame.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I used to wonder why anyone would want more than one sewing machine - now I have four! A Janome 4800 that I bought when I started to quilt (until then had no interest at all in sewing). A friend gave me an inexpensive little Toyota machine, then a few months ago I bought a Featherweight,mostly out of curiosity, having read so many good things about them. It was love at first sight and I now use it more than the Janome. And yesterday I brought home my latest, a 1950 Singer 201, which I'm hoping to use for free motion quilting. May give away the Toyota, as I don't use it, but the other 3 are all likely to stay in regular use.
OM GOSH I thought I was the only one who ever had the litte Toyota machine!! It was my first. I have given it to a good home after.

I've got two - a Bernina Activa 145 that I got used for a STEAL. and a BRAND NEW (she's only 3 days old) Baby Lock Sofia 2 that I'm using for classes / workshops. Does a Serger count - if so, up me to 3. The serger is a life saver when you have short people who need their pants hemmed - and DH and DS#1 are in that catagory!!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 PM

I have a pfaff mid arm (10 inch throat) that is wonderful for FMQ but for piecing I have a Brother sewing/embroidery machine that I just love. I figure that is all I need. Plus that is all I have room for
Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by fluffygirl View Post
Just counted, 26 machines and 4 sergers. One serger is going to my daughter though, so that helps. Most of them are vintage and all of them are in great condition. It is fun to fix them up and get them working.

Pat
Holy moley where do you keep them all?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 AM

13. One is a longarm and one is a serger, 5 are collectables but all work, one a handcrank. I love old machines...I love the way they smell and the sound they make....but then, I love my Harley for the same reason.
Michelle
Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by katiebear1 View Post
Holy moley where do you keep them all?
Well, some are so gorgeous, like the old Singer Handcrank, I keep is on a shelf in my entryway. In my quilt studio I have a big cabinet, sort of like an old fashsioned hutch and I have several displayed there...so I guess in answer to your question, all over the house! I guess I collect machines whereby others collect Hummels.???
Michelle