Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
I have 2 Berninas. A Bernina 150QE for piecing. A Bernina 180E for embroidery.
I can't imagine wanting/needing any more machines. (?)
I can only sew on one at a time. :0)
I am curious as well why the need for more machines.
It isn't so much of a need but more of a love. I've loved sewing machines since I was a young child watching my grandmother make doll clothes for my doll.
I have approx 20 machines, all get used, my friends come to my home for charity sewing projects, I set up several machines. Sometimes I find a rescue machine, DH & I get it working again & within a short time I hear of someone who needs a machine just like that one so we pass it on.
Everyone collects or desires different things, I have never desired jewelry, fancy cars, furs, etc so have none of those but I do love sewing machines. The process of sewing a quilt, garment or whatever is more of a love of using the sewing machine more than the item being sewn. I make things in order to use the sewing machine, others use the sewing machine in order to make things.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 AM

I have7 and a serger and a longarm that I have made 1 quilt in about 5 years. Oh, I wish I had more time to get into it. I love to take them apart and make them sew. My son and I fixed one yesterday. A friend of my sister[in a home] had a junker that her daughter gave her and took her featherweight and sold it [can you believe it?] It didn't even have a tensioner in it. I ordered it and Son put it in and it sews. The lady told me to fix it and do what I wanted to with it. I think Ii'll take it back to the home and give it to someone to use. The lady is going toget a new one. Yes!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM

Hi everyone. I don't usually reply to the threads because I'm slightly computer challenged. But I am one of you. I admit to 10 at present. Starting with my mothers Franklin rotary. which I learned to sew on,2Necchis-supernova Automatica and 537FA,also a Nelco(product of Necchi). Four Singers that I acquired thru yard sales and estate sales, 401-A. 15-90, Red Eye 66 treadle and the newest one a NEW Featherweight 4166 which I surprised with from my daughter and son-in-law for my Birthday and Berninas QE440 and last but not least 1 Bernette Serger(antique). I'm not sure I'm finished yet. I would really love to have a vintage Featherweight! Nice talking to you all! fractured prisms
Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 AM

I only have 2 machines, and would really like another that was better quality, did some lettering, etc. My question is, where do you store all these machines? I just don't have the space for so many.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 AM

Last count I think was 20 plus two sergers. I use most of them. I bought a treadle and we are fixing it up.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 AM

I currently have 4. I am thinking about getting one more that would be light to take to workshops. I don't like moving my good machine all the time
Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 AM

Well I fix em up and sell them so I can have a ton of them hanging around, as far as the old Singers go I think I personally have kept one of each but I mainly quilt on my 15-91 and my 31-15. I do have a Necchi BU but I have never sewn on it. The only Singer I really have a hard time sewing on is the FW, my arm is fat (woman of substance) and I burn myself repeatedly on the dang light. I have a class set up in the basement with machines and I have a sewing room off my living room upstairs and I have a machine set up in the bedroom just in case... I have a sickness I know...
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 AM

Surround your self with the things you love. Be it family, dogs, cats, sewing machines and all other items that give us that warm fuzzy feeling. I love auctions. Especially those with feedsack fabrics, vintage old aprons and tablecloths. My children aren't sure what they will do with all of my finds, when I part. I said auction it off.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by doris.meek13088 View Post
I have a commercial grade Singer machine that I use for all of my regular sewing including constructing my quilt tops.
I have a Juki TL-98Q that my DH gave me for our 25th wedding anniversary with my Gracie setup. I can't imagine wanting or needing any other machine short of a long arm.

I have seen many posts showing people buying many machines. Why? I understand hording fabric, magazines and even patterns but machines? I understand two so I don't have to move one back and forth off the quilting frame.
Well, let's see. I have a Janome Mini, a Universal that we bought when the kids were little, a Brother CS6000i. Then I got interested in Vintage Singers and now I have 2-201's, 1-301, 2-15-91's, 1-127 Mfg in 1903, 1-66 Red Eye Treadle, 1-99K, 1-Spartan, 1-Featherweight. I think that is all and believe it or not, I use all of them except the 127 and the treadle, which needs servicing. I use them for different things and also because when I have sewn on all of them for a while, then my DH can oil all of them at once. I really would like to try using the treadle but my DH hasn't got it cleaned up yet and I am still thinking about where I am going to put it. It currently is in the garage.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 AM

I have 1 Brothers 6000D , brother 1500, Brothers QC1000, horizon, feather weight, 1 threadle. - Brothers class machine and a janome still in the box machine I won. 2 sergers, 1 long-arm gammill. I use each one for different things. They are used and loved.