Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
I would recommend a good serger for anyone that sews clothing of any kind as well as your bags. Sergers are a great invention. The first one I ever saw was about 27 years ago and I bought one on the spot and took it home and used it right then and there. Was one of the greatest finds I ever had. If need be take lessons so you can get full benefit from using yours. Doesn't have to be fancy to be worth having, just a good one.
Sergers work well for sewing decorative pillows. I have used my serger for my children's clothes, then put it away for a few years, but sometimes do rolled hem on napkins for a present and a tablecloth. Using on pillows for fabric that ravels a lot!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 PM

My main machine is a Bernina 140 that I got in 1999. I started a quilting day once a month at the library where I work--we are fortunate to have a huge room with big tables. Project Linus joins us there, and a few of that group did not have a portable machine to bring, so they tied quilts, but they were wanting to sew, too. I started buying thrift store sewing machines--older Kenmores, a Janome, Singer 401 and 404--real workhorses. Now I come to our quilting day with my machine and about 6 machines to share. They usually all get used. It's fun to sew in a group. It's a lot of work because I line them all up and clean and oil them after our quilting day--put a full bobbin in--use neutral thread and they are ready for next month. But I get a thrill of sharing my passion with others, so it's worth it!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:39 PM

I love rescuing vintage machines.

Somehow the machines have a way of finding me! :)

Each is different, each has it's own personality, and all produce a gorgeous stitch for being extremely old.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 PM

I have been quilting a little over 2 years now, and started out with a Singer machine from wal=Mart--as I hadn,t sewed since high school. Then DH got me a Janome for Christmas last year. Since then I have been given 6 singer machines--two of them are vintage and in cabinets, then there is my 237 and a 604--which my gd will get to start sewing with. another I don,t remember the brand name right now but sews good. She is 12 now and wants to learn how to quilt.--I,m running out of room to store them all.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM

I have 4 brothers and 1 singer 301 It's expensive but we all just like them
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 PM

I've often wondered also why some have so many machines. I have one Viking and one Baby Lock Serger..that's it.

I understand now the collectting just because you like old sewing machines. I collect fabric and rulers...never can have too many.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:44 PM

2...I have 2...no, wait, there's the 2 sergers...make that 4...Ooop...that's that old weird, off-brand one my mom gave me....5, just 5...I only have 5...Is that bad, or good?

;-)

~ C.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tropit
2...I have 2...no, wait, there's the 2 sergers...make that 4...Ooop...that's that old weird, off-brand one my mom gave me....5, just 5...I only have 5...Is that bad, or good?

;-)

~ C.
Its a start...
:wink:
Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 PM

I have a 38 year old Kenmore, still my favorite. I have a 1949 Featherweight that a dear friend gave me. I have a 2 year old Singer that has some nice features (needle-down, needle threader, blanket stitch, etc). I have a 10 year old Kenmore portable that I take to classes. I have a Singer Serger that I don't use to often, but I really like what it does. I have a treadle machine that my sister had. It's not usable because it's completely frozen. But I use it for a TV stand in our bedroom. They all have a place in my life and I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM

I have 2, both were given to me, 1 featherweight I use everyday for everything, I even FMQ without lowering the feeddogs. 1 brother, never too faraway and always ready to use.