Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 AM

I just counted ---8. But I do have two houses.
an old treddle, used for a table
my Singer touch and sew purchased new in 1964
an old Montgomery Wards in Florida
Viking Scandanivia 200 to take to guild, etc
Viking Scandanivia 300, small emboidery/sewing, going to FL
Viking Platium 955e embroidery/sewing
HQ 16 mid-arm for quilting
Singer IZEK which my grandchildren use because you can control the speed to keep it slow.

Five of these are used almost daily, the three old ones are just because I like them.

Jean
Old 10-16-2011, 03:13 AM

i have 15 machines all but two of them are vintage singers.

i like them for the art work and history behind them. many people collect antiques and vintage items and this is along those lines.

i buy them, restore them, and display them - even though they all work i never use them.

i have an 18 inch for frame quilt and a juki f600 for piecing and these are the only machines i use.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:30 AM

5 and love each of them!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 AM

I don't know what's happened to me in the last year, but I've become completely smitten by any old sewing machine that has a certain sound. It's a soft purr, or hum, or even a soft clicking that speaks to me. She can look like she's been dragged behind a tractor from this county to the next, but if I put pressure on the pedal and she has that sound, I NEED her. I can't explain it.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:41 AM

forget to add the serger, which is still in the box!, have to find a place for it.
I moved my sewing stuff to the living room, since the small bedroom I was using , just was not big enough...... :P
I have lots of room, but it is not arranged very well,need some help on that. :wink:
Old 10-16-2011, 03:45 AM

I have one Janome and love it, reading the thread made me have a look at sergers though and think I will keep an eye out for a cheap one as would like to have a go making clothes at some point.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:09 AM

Same reason they climb Mt. Everest. They are there, they are neat and they do wonderful things. <grin>I was up to 5, traded 3 in for a Bernina so am down to only 3. Not bad for someone who down sized and went from half a basement sewing room to a 6X6 closet and part of the guest room.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:17 AM

i have four machines and one serger. i have an old montgomery ward one i never use. it is in the closet with a cover on it. i am not in to old machines.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I started out with my singer 327 that I bought for myself on layaway in 1961. Used that for years and years. Made my first quilt on it (flannel - what was I thinking?). then son bought a dinky Brother mechanical and asked me to make drapes. I said if I could have the machine. I LOVE that machine. It is about 7 years old, bought in Costco. Couldn't think why I would need another one. Then at a garage sale found an Elnita vintage machine, very heavy, with vertical bobbin and dropped feed dogs, for $10. Sews great. Went to an antique store and fell in love with a singer treadle class 15. Had to have it. Made a vintage apron and scrap quilt on it. Went to an estate sale on a lark and lo and behold, a singer class 66 in a cabinet on half price, for $18.75. Quilted the scrap quilt on it. I had my heart set on a featherweight and looked and looked, bid and lost, looked and looked and then came across one in a flea market/antique mall in an old supermarket. With bobbin case. I keep that one out to look at, but also made a small quilt on it and take it to quilting class. I love all of my machines for various reasons. My go to is the dinky mechanical Brother which will sew on anything, can do fmq and is not fussy about thread. I keep looking to see if anything else will cross my path.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 AM

At my house at is "not ask and I will not tall." but as long as my boys are having fun looking for old machines for me, who am I to stop them. oh a 14 at last count.