Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How many sewing machines?

Blog Entries
    I have a Singer 301a and a Sears Kenmore. I adore/love both of my machines but would gladly have a couple more Singers and Kenmores, plus an embroidery machine and a longarm. Hee, Hee, I can dream forever and when the time and finances are right who knows.

Can you have too many sewing machines? I collect sewing machines, and sewing is what my wife & I do. We have 42 machines in our home. Twelve of them are ready to sew at any time, and we use about half of those regularly. We have 8 more working machines at our shop, and I have 315 parts and donor machines in storage.

The home “sewing room” that used to be our dining room and living room has a U-shaped sewing area set up that includes a Singer 301A in a cabinet for straight stitching, a Singer 401A in a cabinet for zigzagging, and an 8-foot long table that holds a Singer 14U344B Serger and a White W3300 Embroidery machine along with the iron and small ironing surface.

Under the table and ready to go sew elsewhere are portables that include a Singer 221, Singer 221 hand crank, Singer 353B Genie, and a Singer 404. The JC Penney 7057 free arm is also under the table and ready to pull out when a free arm is needed.

The index for our personal sewing machine collection photos is at:
    http://thayerrags.com/sewing.htm

Photos of our sewing room are at:
    http://thayerrags.com/sewingroom.html

My latest addition to the collection is a Singer 20 8-Spoke.

CD in Oklahoma

Singer 20 8-Spoke
    Name:  Attachment-272153.jpe
Views: 249
Size:  40.9 KB

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I've never counted them all but maybe I will if no one actually rats me out to my husband :) He doesn't really care cause he grew up with a quilting/sewing mom and sister but he doesn't need the numbers! PS> (I collect cats and dogs too) Just saw a shirt that reads "OOps I just addopted another cat" I love it!

I used to collect piano stools yrs ago -- no piano ,can not play.
    Used as extra chairs. Now sew machines but they come to me I don't look too hard .
    Have 10 .

4 that sew, well one has a problem and has to go in this week, and my treadle, still need to get that sewing. I need one for sewing and one for embroidery, so I don't have to change them. I also have a featherweight and another portable for when I need it for travel and want other stitches.

I have an old machine one of my customers gave me when his wife died.. then ihave an old singer I got out of someones trash.. my dh bought me a singer embroidery machine. I bought a D1. and a customer gave me a viking. she was going to toss out. I bought a brother to carry to class and I also bought a janome for class. I also bought a toyota sewing machine from someone who was moving and am planning on giving it as a gift. I just bought a feather weight. and I have a longarm.. I also have a serger. Why ??? Because I could.

I have two. One brother that I make the toppers on and a JUKI on my grace frame. For now, that works for me but I am open to more!!

Blog Entries
    I have two machines, 1 at home the other at the lake.

I have a Janome 2010 and an old Singer that was my mother's.. not a Featherweight but an old one in a cabinet. It sews great.
    I know to each his own, but I can't appreciate or justify collecting sewing machines...yet. The Board is so influential though, you dears.
    But, I do love to collect seam rippers and scissors! Do you think I'm gearing up to collecting machines??????? Uh oh :?

I now have 4.

Elna Quilting queen
    Singer treadle
    Janome Platinum
    and just bought a
    401 Singer slant.
    That one didn't have the attachments but the lady called me yesterday and they found the original attachments. woohoo

C.
    I have had 10. No longer have 3 as traded in two a few years ago. I have 3 Featherweights, a serger, Janome 9700, Janome 6600 and a Janome 3160. I love them all with the exception of the serger, it is now 13 years old and only been used once. I sew mostly on the 6600, love it, what a work horse and no problems. My sweetheart has spoiled me! My granddaughters will someday get the FF. My earliest FF is a 1941 and love thinking about the person who had it in the prewar days. What did she sew. Did she ever make a quilt. Makes me feel special to have her machine. What's next, none. I think I have plenty!

I don't know for sure - around 30, give or take a few.

I do know that it's time to clear some of them out because they're not getting used much. Others are in the garage, not used at all because there's no more room in the house for them.

Restoring the old gals is as much fun to me as quilting. :)

Blog Entries
    I have 5. A Euro-Pro digital with over 700 stitches, a Brother sewing/embroidery, a 1962 Singer Touch and Sew in a cabinet with all attachments and manual, a 1949 Singer FW with case, attachments and manual, 1917 Singer Model 66 "Redeye" treadle with attachments, original cabinet and manual, and a serger. I had 8 machines but gave away 3. Do I NEED them all??? YES!!! For my own happiness. I have worked hard and endured a lot, just as most of you have, and I deserve to have things that I like as long as I can afford them and it doesn't harm anyone. And yes, I actually use them all.

I have 5 and it's not enough. One is strictly an embroidery machine, one is a serger, one is a 1927 Singer, 2 are computerized machines. When she is through using it I will have my Mom's 1936 Singer Treadle model 15 that my Dad bought her brand new a month after they got married. I could always find a place for more, but DH doesn't understand. I just love them and want them.

Last count 19, but then I collect older Singers as well as use them. Trying to down size lately:)

I only have 3 My big babylock espire which is a pain to move, my brother SQ9050 that I just got for in front of the tv and classes, and my older brother XL3500i which will be my daughters when she gets a little older and is ready to quilt

Blog Entries
    SEWBEADIT - Have you test drove any of the new sergers out there? I did for a brief time and they are TOTALLY different that the sergers from 27-30 years ago...when I bought mine for about $100. Some of the fancier sergers today run upwards and over $800.00. Lessons would surely be included.

I 'collect' older Singer sewing machines and use some of them regularly...in different rooms...depending on the season, time of day and fabric sewn.
    I look at them as investments too because almost all of them were purchased at sales for well below market value. If I sold them for $10 more than I paid for them, I'm still making money, right???
    I always thought that if a friend were interested in sewing I could give them a machine that would work beautifully. That situation came up just this week and I will be giving one to a friend who has a non-Singer old machine that's on it's way out the door.
    I'm also 'thinking' about thinning my collection down to just a few machines but I can't make up my mind which 'few' machines to keep. :(

Blog Entries
    I have 8. Not all work, but did at one time.
    I still have my original Kenmore, though it needs work.

I like the ones I have. The latest ones I bought are older ones that I have spent time getting to work.

I have 6, not including my serger. One is a treadle Singer that I do not use and is willed to my eldest daughter. (It was my first machine that I bought for $16 when I was 16 years old.) My Janome 11000 is upstairs and is the one I use most of the time. Two of my downstairs ones are a New Home (computerized & a real workhorse) and a very basic lightweight Pfaff. I use them both occasionally. The answer to your question, "Why?" is: I needed to upgrade to get features I wanted. I upgraded twice over the last 30 years and, since all my machines work well, it would be foolish to trade them in ... I could never get what they are worth on a trade-in. Machine #5 is the newest ... a Janome 1600DPX bought & set up strictly for quilting. #6 is one my son brought here ... it is old and in a small cabinet. The UK manufacturer is still in business, but I cannot get any e-mail response from them; this machine is missing the bobbin case. The small sturdy cabinet serves as a "table" in my sewing room and the space underneath is is perfect sized space for GO cutter dies/storage rack.

Although I still look at the new, high-end machines (on-line), their specifications & features, I'm currently satisfied with what I have and have no space for more.

I neglected to mention that I, too, have a "thing" about sewing machines, which is why I always spend time looking, usually just on-line ... I don't get out much. If I were filthy rich, I would have a HUGE studio and more machines, one of which would be a long-arm. I'd also have a professional embroidery machine.

I have 10 machines now, probably 12 by the end of the week. Each one is useful to me for a variety of reasons. Some I use just for the cuteness factor! I can't tell you how many people comment about my cute, pink vintage Morse, or my adorable Singer 185K.... Really, it's all about having fun while sewing and if using unique or sweet "tools" makes you happy, like it does me...the more machines the merrier. I do think I'm about done with 12 machines though!

I have a Ppaff 7570 with embroidery unit, not many cards. I have a Toyota Serger and just purchased a Janome 360E. I would never part with the Ppaff (it was made in Germany in 1997). Had a Bernina that I traded in on the Ppaff. Hooked on the embroidery stuff. Just finished a top with Christmas designs and 9 squares have embroidery designs in them. I think this is enough machines for me as I have limited room. I am a man that really likes machines and have lots of woodworking tool, too. I also make glass beads and fuse small glass items.

Machines...too many to count. I can not turn my back from an orphan sewing machine. I usually try to invite friends to come sew along with me thus they use one of my many machines. I am blessed with many garage sale sewing machines that purr beautiful and sew outstanding stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    SEWBEADIT - Have you test drove any of the new sergers out there? I did for a brief time and they are TOTALLY different that the sergers from 27-30 years ago...
    Absolutely! I used to wonder what in the world I needed a serger for, but I bought a little Brother 1034D from walmart.com for about $200 and now, I can't imagine not having a serger! It's the easiest thing to thread and switching from normal edge-finishing to narrow rolled hems takes 10-15 seconds.

I'm also 'thinking' about thinning my collection down to just a few machines but I can't make up my mind which 'few' machines to keep. :(
    I keep running into the same problem. ;) I love all my machines except the 301 - I'm not crazy about that one. It's completely refurbished and I have bought her a whole slew of original vintage attachments and modern gizmos, but I just never got attached to it like I have with most of my others.

There are a few more that will be easier to lose than others, but after those, it becomes a challenge to figure out what to get rid of. They're all great for different reasons. :)

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast