Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 PM

I love it when the men say that they are quilting with their wives. No need to explain what you are doing and want to purchase. Can attend quilt shows together. My husband supports what I do, but doesn't understand it.

Jean

Originally Posted by wesing
We have 9, and 5 of them are because of this board. Two Pfaff DSMs, a Grandquilter, a Euro Pro that was my wife's first machine, a Featherweight, a Singer 27, a Singer 185, a 15 clone, and a 503. We have used all of them except the Rocketeer and the 27. I will use the Rocketeer to piece my next quilt.

Darren
Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Sentimentally attached to my first Singer(1967), mom's first Singer, Mamaw's first Singer-a 1949 treadle,(In heaven, Mom and Mamaw have all needed supplies) and I just can't let go. Janome 9500 for sewing/embroidery, Singer serger, and a Kenmore 4 stitch I rescued from a yard sale for $7. I gave away a Bernina 830 and have since regretted it. Wish I were not so attached to all these. I Do NOT plan to buy any more machines. Must use up stash before any more fabric purchases. Be glad you do not have this affliction or affection for machines.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Let's see...I have a Singer that I bought when I was first married (my first machine), a New Home given to me by a friend, a Toyota Serger, a Featherweight, another singer in a wooden case, and a singer treadle. I guess that makes 6 and I love them all.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM

7, and I use most if not all of them.
Not counting the vintage singers (2), I don't know what models they are, except that one is a treadly that needs a cabinet.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM

I have 5. My Husqvarna Lily that is semi-retired, a new Janome 6600, and three antique Singers that still work great...a 15-91, a 301, and a Featherweight.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Wow...for a thread just started yesterday, there have been alot of comments! DH and I were at an estate sale yesterday and he and I just had a conversation similar to this. I think many people enjoy collecting machines for the same reason people collect other items such as milk bottles, depression glass, etc. And, many have machines that do have meaning to them, as well.

I currently have my grandmother's Singer treadle machine. G'ma was born in 1901. I have never bothered to look up when the machine was made..doesn't really matter to me...it is the sentimental value of it. My DSIL has my mom's Singer..she rarely uses it and I hope, if she decides one day that she does not want it anymore, she will let me have it or at least give it to one of her girls. I have my late MIL's embroidery machine...it is a dinosaur and I will use it as a trade-in when I get around to upgrading. And, I have my Viking Lily that I love....not a fancy machine at all but, one that has excellent stitches and I enjoy using.

I stay away from purchasing other machines. At the estate sale yesterday there were 4 machines (one was a Singer treadle, and the other 3 were various older machines (40-50 years old). I did not bid on any (and they went cheap). Personally, I do not have the room for them and, as I told DH, I would rather save my sewing machine money for the Viking Diamond or Ruby that I have my eye on. That said, My DFIL has mentioned that there are a couple sewing machines in cases out in one of his barns. One of these days, I am going to check into them...hopefully, there might be a Featherweight hiding out there!

I truly believe it is up to the individual. I love reading posts from those who are so excited over a 'find' but, I also understand those posts from quilters who are not interested in acquiring old machines.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 PM

I have two Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilters, one set up on my sewing table & the other on my Next Generation frame. I would like to trade in one for a machine that does more than a straight stitch. Don't know what machine I want yet but have been reading about everyone's machines and learning a lot.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:06 PM

I have 4 sewing machines but I have 6 guns that I use also.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:14 PM

Let's see -
-my old Janome that does not work and was only a $100 new
-my current Janome 6600 P which I love
-my mothers old singer 401 slant(?) which barely works and repair guy said needs a new motor
-an old 66 I bought a year ago and still sitting in the garage on the shelf needing cleaned and repaired
-and a Domestic I bought last weekend that needs a thourough cleaning and reiring.

I would gladly sell the old Janome, the 66, and the Domestic so that I could purchase a FW and a treadle that both work. In the near future I will be purchasing a Serger.

So that is 5 with only one working correctly and in no need of repair or cleaning.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by barb55
Originally Posted by watson's mom
I have only 5. I did give one to a friend whose machine was on it's last legs and sold a couple of others. From now on I am keeping them all. I am looking for a serger (never had one before), I think it will come in handy for making housecoats and tote bags. I looked at the Janome 12000 on Friday and am really thinking about getting one. I love the big hoops it has. We'll see what happens.
I looked that machine up on the enter net and it sure looks like it would fit the bill for everything you wanted to do. Do you know what the cost is. There isn't a dealer close so I could go in and take a look. I have and old Janome and it is a work horse.

It is listed here in Canada at $8995. but my friend who was in Atlantic City over the weekend said it is the same price there. I am going to wait and see if they have any start-up issues since they are a new machine. I will probably get one in about a year, that should be enough time to know how they are going to turn out. It is the nicest machine and I can't think of anything it won't do. You really have to see it to appreciate it. I am wondering though that with all the extra features (there is a ton of them) if it is just that much more that can go wrong. We'll see.