Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Only 1 right now. My Mom has 2 and a serger.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose
Originally Posted by lovelyl
I have a Janome 2010 and an old Singer that was my mother's.. not a Featherweight but an old one in a cabinet. It sews great.
I know to each his own, but I can't appreciate or justify collecting sewing machines...yet. The Board is so influential though, you dears.
But, I do love to collect seam rippers and scissors! Do you think I'm gearing up to collecting machines??????? Uh oh :?
I think you may be in trouble.... :lol:
lovelyl: I'd love to have a Featherweight, but I'm so afraid of getting scammed if I buy on eBay or an on-line place like that. Do these machines really cost 500-600 dollars? I wish I knew someone personally or have someone recommend a seller. I know, I know I don't need a FW, but something is calling me to consider one.
I purchased mine off of ebay about a year and a half ago for $275.00 plus shipping. I did not deal with the bidding process, I looked at the buy it now option. I took a long time and tried to research the seller's rating, etc. and emailed a lot of questions. Everything was great and she is a beautiful machine. I also happened on to one at an antique store for $220.00. I think there is also someone here on the board selling one. Be sure to pay with PayPal so you are covered if there would be a problem. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
I have only 5. I did give one to a friend whose machine was on it's last legs and sold a couple of others. From now on I am keeping them all. I am looking for a serger (never had one before), I think it will come in handy for making housecoats and tote bags. I looked at the Janome 12000 on Friday and am really thinking about getting one. I love the big hoops it has. We'll see what happens.
I looked that machine up on the enter net and it sure looks like it would fit the bill for everything you wanted to do. Do you know what the cost is. There isn't a dealer close so I could go in and take a look. I have and old Janome and it is a work horse.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM

I wish I had more room and everyone Needs at least 2, one to use and one as a back up.
So lets see. I have gotten rid of a few because of the room issue. I have:
A Household which weighs a ton but will sew through anything.
Then I have my Singers just cause I like them
301-401-403-503
I also have my toy machines which I got just for fun.
I doubt I will ever have a long arm or even a mid arm, No room and no money. LOL
And my fancy dancy Brother that I spluged on. Love the auto thread. Had it almost 3 years now and still haven't used 3/4 of the stitches etc on it.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM

I have a Janome 2010 and an old Singer that was my mother's.. not a Featherweight but an old one in a cabinet. It sews great.
I know to each his own, but I can't appreciate or justify collecting sewing machines...yet. The Board is so influential though, you dears.
But, I do love to collect seam rippers and scissors! Do you think I'm gearing up to collecting machines??????? Uh oh :?
I think you may be in trouble.... :lol:
lovelyl: I'd love to have a Featherweight, but I'm so afraid of getting scammed if I buy on eBay or an on-line place like that. Do these machines really cost 500-600 dollars? I wish I knew someone personally or have someone recommend a seller. I know, I know I don't need a FW, but something is calling me to consider one.
I purchased mine off of ebay about a year and a half ago for $275.00 plus shipping. I did not deal with the bidding process, I looked at the buy it now option. I took a long time and tried to research the seller's rating, etc. and emailed a lot of questions. Everything was great and she is a beautiful machine. I also happened on to one at an antique store for $220.00. I think there is also someone here on the board selling one. Be sure to pay with PayPal so you are covered if there would be a problem. Good luck!
Thank you. I'm going to try to find who's selling on the Board.
You gave me priceless info.
Blessings,
A.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 PM

I only have one....my pfaff.
It's about 18-19 years old now.
I'm looking for the same one secondhand now...as reserve
Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM

4 plus a serger. I hadn"t counted until you asked. I have my old Bernina 830 which I would never part with, and a Pfaff Grand Quilter which is great for speed and power. I have never had her on a frame. I was thrilled with the power, needle threader, needle up/down and used her all the time until I was given a Pfaff 2144 by my MIL. I love that machine, too. Then I "inherited" a Singer 403A which I confess I have never started using. I know it is a good machine, but my time is so limited with teaching full-time and, of course, there's the silly amount of time I spend on this board. LOL Last, I have a serger which I need to learn to use.

Make me get off this board and get sewing!

Oh, I forgot to say that I am now craving a FW. You guys are a bad influence!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:33 PM

I have the Singer that I had when I discovered quilting a few years ago and bought a Pfaff when I wanted to venture out into FMQ and the Singer just wouldn't cooperate (feed dogs wouldn't drop, limited space)and just have the Singer put away for backup. After a few months of membership on this board I fell in love with the Featherweights and 301s and in a month's time bought one of each on Ebay. I have two young DGDs and hope to teach them to sew one day and I can just see us all sewing together with them using the FW and 301. I must add one little thing--I was heavily medicated on Vicodin and two other narcotics for a back injury when I bought those machines on Ebay--so take a lesson from me and don't go online on drugs.:):) My aunt died in March and from her things I got my Great grandmother's treadle. I learned to sew on that machine by my DGM and remember sewing side-by-side with me on that machine and her using her treadle. So that one is very sentimental to me. So those are my reasons. The only other machine on my wish-list is an HQ Sweet 16 and that will be a long time coming.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:37 PM

We have 9, and 5 of them are because of this board. Two Pfaff DSMs, a Grandquilter, a Euro Pro that was my wife's first machine, a Featherweight, a Singer 27, a Singer 185, a 15 clone, and a 503. We have used all of them except the Rocketeer and the 27. I will use the Rocketeer to piece my next quilt.

Darren
Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM

I have 6... a Singer treadle 66 "red-eye" of my mother's, a Kenmore 158.18024 in a cabinet, an Emdeko portable, which is a real workhorse, a Kenmore 158.1315 (I believe. It's at my son's house.) A Pfaff Expression, and a Brother portable that I bought for $10 plus shipping on eBay. I had to buy a foot control for it, though and do not have the free-arm extension. I have the fever, but I try to resist! I don't have the room for many machines. Oh, yes, I forgot my husband has a Singer industrial in a hardwood table in the garage... It hasn't been used in the 17 years I've been here.