Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:11 AM

I have 8.
It all started with one I bought in the mid 80's, mechanical, and as I requested at the time, no computer.

They don't make parts for this machine anymore, so as I find one cheap, I buy it for parts, and for my daughter if her cheapo Singer dies

All the ones I have bought use the same bobbin, same feet, same foot pedal, so I do change them periodically to keep their innerds moving
Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Loved reading this post. First I was a quilter, then came the sewing machines. (My hubby also loves the old machines
so we have to resist the urge for one more machine. Most were bought at very reasonable prices.

Ours are, Singer 201, Singer 301, 401, two featherweights,
3 Pfaffs, Singer quilter, vintage Necchi, a Bernette.
(and an overlock machine)
I almost forgot, our latest find, a Domestic vintage machine,and the heaviest of any vintage I've tried to lift.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 AM
sap

I lost count at 50. Mostly singers but been known but any I find if the price is right. 3 FW $50 or less. 2 301's $5-$l0. Elna grass hopper free. That's all that I can think of, 5 computerized machines. There are more, haven't taken inventory lately.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 AM

12- plus a serger,a treadle and a long arm. I collect them
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 AM

I have so many I don't dare count them. Mostly I just collect them. But I also just can not pass up a good deal on a machine sitting on the ground all alone at a yard sale. Some of them I find, the newer Singers or Brothers come home and are cleaned up and then move on to new homes with people that need a sewing machine but can not afford a new one. But some I buy merely because they are cute or different and I really don't use them at all.

I really do have too many machines. I know that, but it is my hobby and I just enjoy them. I have over 20, pretty sure of that. But I have several that are my daily drivers. Those would be one of the three Featherweights, my Bernina 1011 or the Viking.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Well, I've downsized my number of machines. I gave away a practically brand new Kenmore to a lady that didn't have a machine and wanted to learn to sew. The machine is more than she needs, but I thought that we could spend time together and I could teach her.

Then I gave a 1970's Singer (in the cabinet) to an older lady who's machine broke and she didn't have the money to get her's fixed.

So now I'm down to my Brother which I generally use all the time. Then I have a Singer 401 for sewing leather and such. Then I've got my 2 Featherweights. One is from 1948 and the other is a Singer 100 year anniversary - blue badge and all.

Oh, and also a Brother embroidery machine.

Sooooo......my total, including the embroidery is now at 5.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by angelarose
I have a Janome 2010 and an old Singer that was my mother's.. not a Featherweight but an old one in a cabinet. It sews great.
I know to each his own, but I can't appreciate or justify collecting sewing machines...yet. The Board is so influential though, you dears.
But, I do love to collect seam rippers and scissors! Do you think I'm gearing up to collecting machines??????? Uh oh :?
I think you may be in trouble.... :lol:
Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM

I have about 16, I think, which includes 2 sergers. All but 2 of them were bought used. Many of them came from garage sales. I am overly fond, I guess, of the older machines. There is just something about the solid reliability that I find irresistible. Added to that is the fact that many of them are so pretty with the fancy decals, and I love the shape of the old black Singers. I use them, each is designated for a certain task.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 AM

2 Janomes
2 berninas
Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 AM

What is your opinion on the Singer 404 Slant machine? A friend of mine gave it to me and I haven't sewn on it a lot yet.