Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How Many...

I have I think 14 machines.Viking Sapphire 875,Berninas 930& 1031,Pfaff 1222E(about 35 yrs old),
    Singers 201 & 15-90 treadles,99K handcrank,237 also treadles,4 featherweights,black 301,Huskylock 910 serger
    and a Janome Jem Gold 2.Two white treadle heads that don't work yet and 1 New Home treadle.
    Right now the Sapphire and the Pfaff get the most use and
    the featherweights next,(3 black & 1 tan).
    I can't treadle yet, formerly broken ankle isn't ready yet. I broke it 9 weeks ago. Prior to breaking my ankle I did most of my piecing and quilting with my 201 and 15-90 treadles.

With DH in the room rushing me and not having read all the posts, I have to hurry. Maybe I am saying what others have said. I usually have 3 or 4 projects going at one time--quilt in progress, patching or repairing jeans, making vinyl covers for this and that, and a garment in progress. I can't afford the time to thread, rethread, etc. I have 3 machines set up and 2 sergers. One serger has only black thread most of the time. No matter what job I have to do in a hurry, one machine will have the right thread.

I have 5, my basic Singer, got in 1964, green, zig zag. Used it for years with very little maintenance. Then was given a Brother XR-52 - very basic machine from Costco. Love that little workhorse. Maybe has plastic innards but has labored through all my quilting, including flannel and chenille without quitting or balking. then found an Elnita at a garage sale. Works great. Has feed dogs that drop. Recently got a treadle. LOVE IT! and then at an estate sale found a beautiful old Singer, black head, full size, in a mahogany cabinet which is great for doing a bigger quilt on. Easy to use, smooth sewing. The one I use the least is the Elnita.

I use a Bernina and a Featherweight frequently. Kenmore is a dust catcher.

3. A 30 year old bernina. a 3 year old saphire, and Elvira my featherweight.
    I also have a tredal machine that I'm looking to sell it dates 1914. I thought it would be a nice project to restore but time is not on my side.

I have the 11000 and it is truely a dream machine had it for a little over a year it has been a joy to use

I have 4, but one is a treedle and I don't use it. I have a Viking, Janome and my favorite Featherweight 221.

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by Bmanmommy
    Sewing machines do you have that you regularly use? Since I am starting this major sewing room clean out (from my other post), it got me thinking, how many sewing machine should I keep. I hope to have a more dedicated sewing room in our next house but who knows how long that it could take to sell our place or where we are going to end up.

I currently have 3 and have access to 2 more if I have to take mine in for service. I am seriously contemplating getting rid of at least 1 of them, maybe both the extras. I never use either of them and they just sit and collect dust. Neither of them are anything special, just basic machines and then I have my piecing machine that I do use regularly...it isn't going anywhere.

So I ask, how many machines do you have that you regularly use and how many do you have that are dust catchers?
    I have had as many as 17 at one time. I have sold or given many away and am down to 9. That includes my Elna that I use every day and my serger its a Husky. I know this will make some of you shudder but at one time I had two Feather Weights and never used either one of them. Got one at a garage sale for $50. and sold it for $375. It was in nice shape and the other I can't even remember what I did with it it was a long time ago. I LOVE machines and cannot pass up a garage sale that has one for sale . My last Garage buy was a Singer in the original cabinet, not a mark on it, for $50. I still have it it is so beautiful I don't think I will get rid of it. I still have my origanal Singer 1950 version and I will never get rid of that one either. It has never given me any trouble. I clean them all the time a keep them oiled and pet them. MNM

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have 3 at this time. My first machine my DH bought me right after we got married in 1980 Kenmore and an old Singer Futura 920 that his sister gave me a few years ago that hardly ever got used so I had it oiled and checked then it sat another 3 years before I started using it,it works great,then my DSIL just gave me an old ELNA TSP it runs really good,I oiled it and it sews really smooth. I don't use the Kenmore hardly at all. But I'm always on the look out for cheap machines.

I have my 630 for embroidery and regular sewing. my Pfaff Expression 3 of which I absolutely love to use for all my basic and lots of piecing work and I'm just got a really priced Jenome 2010 that's light weight so I can take it to a friends house when doing regular quilter. Wish I knew how to do e-bay... My 430 has to be sold and I am seeing the same thing on e-bay, with out the bsr or the embroidery stuff and the starting price is extremely high and it has bidders on it. I have my serger Bernina, and I am still wanting to find a good home for that. buT at the time that I got these, there was enough not to get my budget in trouble and it was just about the only thing that I was able to actually do when I was able to actually get around. But since there has been an improvement in my ability to walk a bit more, I can at least join one or two friends for coffee and fabric and doing a new thing that one of us has picked up to show the other. I am the training ground. I cannot attend the quilds and the retreats so when one or both come back then it's "let's show Claire".. and I get the enjoyment that is so worth tripping over machines. The little light weight Jenome is a great little machine and seems to have a nice reputation as it is computerized and it's a great little quilter. Sorry.. been out of touch. One more thing, I am having a wonderful with the braid that is coming along and I have also gotten the very easy quilt laid out that one of group here pulled out with a bunch of charms. I am enoying it all for a change.

I have 1 machine and 1 serger always set up ready to use. I have another mid-arm that comes out when needed. I do have a second machine as back-up if my main machine is in for service.

Blog Entries
    I am too ashamed to answer...

well lets see, i have a singer that does everything from FMQ to embroadery(sp) it is a 403 slant special with all the cams and feet one needs to do about anything, it is a 1951, it was my moms. i have a FW. a singer touch and sew, a kenmore, and a couple in storage im not sure what they are. love the 403 bestest

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    One for sewing. One for scrapbooking -- yep, I often sew on my scrapbook pages.

Banned
    I have 1 sewing machine, 1 embroidery machine and 1 serger.

Let me see--an old Singer that needs a new motor; a Deco 600 that sits; a FW in its case; a Brother QC1000 that does most of the work around here; a Baby Lock Elegante 2 that does the embroidery and decorative stitches; a toy sewing machine I just got at a yard sale; and a brand new basic Janome I just got Thursday. She is my backup; hope I never need her, but she is there if I do.

Blog Entries
    I have 6. 3 of them are embroidery machines, and sometimes I have all three going. 1 Bernina and 1 Viking, and 1 antique treddle that works, but only used for decoration. I use the Viking machine the most for sewing, but sometimes sometimes the Bernina for machine quilting because it has such a nice even stitch. Love them all

I just added an older Brother to my collection from a yard sale for $3.00. LOL She said she couldn't get the needle to go up and down. Took the bobbin out and put it in correctly, goes up and down just great.

Look up Lostn51 tutorial on cleaning and repairing old vintage machines. Very good and I betcha can do it.

Thanks, I got a manual of sorts with it, that shows how to do a little servicing, so will try that first.

I have a Bernina which I love, A walmart machine that goes up north to the cottage and a Janome I use for quilting on the quilting frame. I also got a Serger I don't use much.

A Brother sewing/embroidery machine, just got a new Janome Horizon, and a 6 needle embroidery machine. I use them all! When I'm emboidering on the 6 needle, I'm either sewing on the Janome or the other brother. Love them all.

I have 4. 2 I use .. 2 are old singer in cabinets...

Blog Entries
    I only started quilting less than 2 years ago. Have my old Kenmore from20 some years ago. Just got a new Janome. Foujnd a Singer serger at a flea market that I haven't tried out yet, bought a Pfaff Grand Quilter with the Inspira fram off CL about 6 weeks ago, I am trying to learn how to use that one. My DSL has a vintage singer in storage that he is going to get out for me. OH, I found a Viking from the 50's at a yard sale a coupoe of weeks ago that my DH is helping me get going. Wow! Am I out of control, or what?

I only have one machine, a singer that does about 6 different stitches. The feed dogs don't retract but they do have a cover plate.
    Well, actually in the garage I have a peddle machine but we don't have it working yet. It belonged to my DH's great aunt.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast