Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many UFO's do you have now? >

how many UFO's do you have now?

how many UFO's do you have now?

Old 03-18-2019, 04:13 AM

It has been entertaining to read through this thread this morning...it seems some love the piecing process then get hung up on the quilting/binding...then some seem to get excited with starting new projects. It’s fun to read how different we all work at our craft.

I have two WIPs rather than UFOs. My Long Time Gone still needs the border treatment and I need to assemble my traveling quilt that I participated in with a Modern Quilt Guild...and I have my Gypsy Wife that needs to be loaded on my new LA but I haven’t figured out how I’m going to quilt it. : )
Old 03-18-2019, 05:20 AM

I have way to many to count. At least right now. I found knowing exactly how many are waiting on me to finish are a sure fire way to sabotage my efforts. So, no counting right now. But, in my studio right now are 3 that I am working to finish. 2 are very old and one is only about 1.5 years old. For me, a finish is a finished top. And, then, I save to send them to a long arm quilter. I need help to get caught up. And, I'm not opposed to seeking it out. If I have to quilt every UFO, I will never finish. So, I have found my compromise.

It is fun to hear everyone's take on this lively subject.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:36 AM

I think 6 or 7 unquilted tops, all too big for me to quilt on my DM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:52 AM

6 tops ready to sandwich, etc. 3 still in piecing stage, 1 cut but not pieced yet, 1 I am working on and is not truly a UFO...yet. So lets add: Too many!!! I just donated, to Goodwill, a huge trash bag full of finished tops (at least 20). My problem? I love to piece...hate anything after that. I can't afford to send quilts out to be finished, so I hold onto the flimsy for a couple of years or so and then I get rid of it. Waste of money on fabric, etc., but I can't see myself liking the quilting process. Yes, I do have a DSM with a 12" throat, so I should be able to finish my projects. Another problem is that I just don't have an area large enough (my queen bed is big enough, but not "hard" enough) surface to sandwich and going to a library, etc. to borrow a table is not feasible in my case. Oh well...my sob story for today.

Have a great day!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-18-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

ILoveToQuilt...you have received joy from creating the tops. When you have purchased a book, read it, enjoyed it and then gave away when when finished is this a waste of money? I don't think so. Your donated tops are picked up by someone else, hopefully finished and then enjoyed. Just another way to think of your quilting process! Maybe you can make contact with an organization that would be happy to finish your tops for your...say one who makes for Ronald McDonald or other types of organizations?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by seazteddy View Post
I have Two.
You mean the ones I'm willing to Admit to?? LOL (I have a chart so I almost know how many are left)

Probably about 13-15. Two are ready for quilting, others are in flimsy w/backing & batting cut. Some are still just the flimsy. In my defense, I sew with a couple of groups so I always have a quilt top in process. I would only make tops if I could find someone who only wanted to quilt!! The gals in the groups that have LA machines seem to finish more than the rest of us do. They can load, and quilt in fast order compared to my using my normal sewing machines for quilting.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-18-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-18-2019, 02:18 PM

Today I bought fabric for the backing to a quilt I finished in February. I put off going to buy the fabric for a month because I didn’t want to fight traffic & I’m on the Fabric Moratorium. So I have to ‘fess up to buying fabric on that thread. I’m almost through quilting a UFO that was my daughter’s. She lost interest & gave the partially finished blocks to me. Her machine wasn’t sewing well on that project & I took it all apart & redid all the blocks. I added sashing, used some fabric I had for the back, & started quilting last week. I got back today from a family wedding, so I didn’t get to sew any over the weekend. Those are the only quilt UFOs I have, but I won’t discuss my yarnie ones!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM

What counts as UFO, some say not counting ones needing Quilting? Only tops? Finished except binding??? Projects on lists? Curious
Old 03-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Technically I have none!! I send mine out to be quilted, my LA has stacks of my troops sg e says lol. I'm one of her few clients and I donate most of mine so don't mind. Poor lady she sends me 5 completed I send her 3 tops!����
Old 03-18-2019, 05:15 PM

There are 6 left on the original list. There are probably three times that many in reality if you can count the patterns I have lined up in the "Quilt Fun" notebook.

Marcia