Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many UFO's do you have now? >

how many UFO's do you have now?

how many UFO's do you have now?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:19 PM

I have dozens, but I started a Boxes of Strings near the end of February and it was in the quilt show last weekend. And I finished 3 others this last week. Lots and lots more to go. And then another one pops up and I 'haf ta' do that one right now.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
What counts as UFO, some say not counting ones needing Quilting? Only tops? Finished except binding??? Projects on lists? Curious
As you read through this thread, you can see we all define UFO differently. For me, I count anything more than 6 months old a UFO. I get distracted so easily and as mentioned here, some of us love the piecing. I see a new tutorial and I want to try the new pattern, oops a new UFO because I then wander off to another new design that catches my eye. Define UFO as you wish.

I found one way to get after the pile of unfinished projects is to bag them up like a kit. I put the top, extra fabric, backing, directions or picture in a single package. I then can whisk it out and not have to hunt for the fabric to finish the final two blocks or the binding. For me, it helps. I probably spend the same amount of time hunting for what is needed to finish the quilt, but when I am "in the mood" I can get at it and not spend time digging about and losing my focus on finishing the quilt at hand. This also alerts me to the fact that I do not have an appropriate back or missing binding and I can then use my shopping purposefully. A bargain is an even better bargain when it will finish up a started quilt!

Last edited by WMUTeach; 03-19-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 AM

Does the term UFO include patterns and fabric purchased and just sitting in a bin/box waiting for me to get to them? Or jsut the ones already started? Or the ones on my bucket list to do?
Any way I look at it, there are too many to finish in this lifetime!
Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 AM

I have 8 quilts waiting to be quilted, 2 quilts being finished to that point that I started at my latest quilt retreat, 2 more quilts all cut that didn't get started at the quilt retreat, another quilt project all cut ready to be started, 2 quilt projects that have their blocks done and waiting for the design wall to be free for arrangement, 1 quilt on the design wall and 3 quilted projects waiting to be finished sewing. 5 projects with fabric and pattern sitting on the project shelf waiting to be started. Do those count since I haven't even cut into them? We won't get into the embroidery projects waiting or apparel projects waiting to be started and/or finished.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:52 AM

I counted recently. I stopped counting at 70.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Ice blossom, I like what you said. I stoppd in on a quilt retreat that I heard about near me from the news letter at a retreat center (for religious groups). One of the quilters said if it is a completed top it is "done", if it is quilted but not bound it is "done, done" and if it it bound it is "done, done, and done" I thought that was cute! I added if it has been washed is it "done, done, done and done". haha
Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 AM

tuckyquilter: thank you! Your words have made me feel better. I've never thought of it in the terms of "book buying". Some of my guild ladies will take the tops and finish them for charity quilts.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:53 AM

I have one quilt top in progress. I keep getting distracted by other things like knitting and potholders.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:18 PM

I have no idea. I'm afraid to count. For a while I was making myself finish 2 to start one. I Did really good for a while and finished quite a few. I have several that I don't count as UFO's. I have several quilts that will be donated to charity. They are all most of the way finished. When the right place to donate them pops up I will finish. There are a couple of quilts in time out for various reasons.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:49 PM

4 tops waiting for quilting

Two where the blocks are all made, just need to put it together and quilt.

mumble, mumble, mumble projects underway.