Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • how many ufo's and great ideas do you have? >
  • how many ufo's and great ideas do you have?

• how many ufo's and great ideas do you have?

Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 AM

I have 10 in different stages. I have 5 that just need appliqué tacked down....I have to be in the mood. One paper piecing one I need perfect light for. Anyway I always have several, then out of no where ill start and finish a new one in a few days. I have several the just need to quilted. I'm purchasing a longarm so some I'm just waiting on that
    Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 AM

My goal when I retired in April 2012 was to finish all my UFO"s. Even I didn't really realize how many there were as they were stashed in lots of different places. I started gathering them up and now have them in my sewing room grouped together. I've never really counted them but have two of the largest Rubbermaid bins with completed tops all ready for quilting. Then I have numerous (probably 50) smaller bins and shoe boxes with partially completed tops. Some have the blocks all finished while others have a bunch done, some cut out and all are there with the pattern and fabric needed to finish. I also have a couple of other bins of orphan blocks. Since retiring, I do have a pile of finished quilts (more than 20), never happened before and ten entries ready for my Guild's show in October. Will I ever get everything stitched? Who knows and my DH knows better than to make any comments about my boxes. I will stitch what I can, re-purpose some, donate some to my guild's Community Quilts and just keep working away not feeling one bit guilty. It's my time, my stuff, my money that was invested and a great hobby that I enjoy and keeps many other people warm and cozy.
    Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 PM
    Power Poster

I actually have 32 on a list from cut and waiting, to half pieced and lots of finished tops. As to how many are not on the list, that is a good ? After joining the QB I was determined to start getting these done. I'm up to #9. Slow going but is is happening. Hurray! I have to find homes for them too.

Just this morning I have worked on three different quilts, One getting ready for LAM, doing some trapunto on a wall hanging for Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap and piecing another block of a half finished top. I am busy.

peace
    Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Lol....I started the year with maybe 6 ufo's. Got one wall hanging done in the spring for my Mom and then went to the guild camp. Added 8 ufo's...two just need me to hand sew on the binding. Started Christmas table runners...have 10 tops pieced, then joined the SYE BOM...but I have ver paper pieced! So that added some more projects, but I am completing things. I keep a list on a clipboard of projects and the basic steps listed out. So then when I want a project I pick what I am in the mood for. UFO's today ... Maybe 24 or so. Sigh.
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:13 PM

I only have maybe 4 that are not completely pieced. I have about 15 quilt tops that need quilting. I am held up by 2 things. First, I don't have $$$ for the batting and backing right now. Secondly, I am taking craftsy classes and practicing so I can do a gloriously good job of machine quilting them on DSM. I am making quilt tops from leftover fabric and t-shirts and jeans to save $$$. One exception: project for my cousin.
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:40 PM

I am perpetually creating more quilts. Some become UFOs and some get done right away This still leaves the old UFOs (2 plus years) in the stack. BIG SIGH. At least I'll never be bored!!!!!
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 PM

I have 5 tops to be quilted, 2 are sandwiched & ready to go. If ever I get done with yard work my arms will let me sew! Today I planned to quilt but my body says NOWAY
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:50 PM

I don't want to count them because I don't want to know.
    Old 09-08-2013, 04:05 PM

I have been steadily working on getting my UFOs to the point where the top is done. And so now I have a pile of tops waiting for batting and backing then quilting. Smaller projects I can quilt myself. Larger ones go out to a long armer, which I don't have the funds for at the moment. Still, I feel that if the top is done, that's ok. I don't worry too much about how many are in the pipline. When I get tired of one, I work on another, or start another. Which I guess is why my UFOs are never done!
    Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM

I limit myself to 4 projects at one time. Usually, planning one (getting fabric, pattern, thread) in a container labeled project #4; project #3 is usually in the process of of cutting out and separating pieces into block piles; project #2 is a quilt that is being machine quilted; and project #1 is the one that has been pieced with batting and backing that I am in the process of hand quilting in some manner either the whole quilt or hand sewing the binding or finishing the label(this one is completed in the evening sitting in the family room "watching" TV with the DH or sitting in the car on a long trip). As each one is completed, they move up in order and I begin a #4 again.