Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many of You  Actually use Your Quilts...... >

How Many of You Actually use Your Quilts......

How Many of You Actually use Your Quilts......

Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 PM

I say use them and love them. I have only been quilting a little over a year and thought I would only make quilts that would be used. But I have seen some neat designs that I would like to make into small wall hangings. But a quilt of any size I say use it and love love love it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM

I use the quilts I have made and hope the ones I have gifted are used but I can't bring myself to use my grandma's any more I do have them out where I can see them but try to keep the cat fur off them.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM

We sleep under our quilts. When the grandchildren come to stay, they get to choose which quilt they want to use for the weekend and each time they choose a different one. That is what they look forward to doing..
Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Love your quilts - Use them.

Quilts in closets are sad quilts -- and the quilters who made them are even sadder!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM

The Quilts I have made are all being used , of course DH
and I only have one that I made for my very first Quilt, I
keep making them for our grown Children,and other family members, but I know they are all being used. I'm fixing to be starting a new Double Wedding Ring guilt for my DH though
sometime next week I hope.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 PM

MINE GET USED EVERY NIGHT AND SOME IN THE DAY. ISEE QUILTS IN ANTIQUE SHOPS THAT WERE MADE FROM FEED SACKS. MY FABRIC ISN'T ALL QUILT SHOP QUALITY BUT THEY HAVE TO BE BETTER THAN FEED SACKS SO I EXPECT THEM TO BE AROUND FOR YEARS AND SOMEONE BETTER USE THEM AFTER ALL THAT WORK AND MONEY. THEY ARE FOR THIS GENERATION. NOT ONE 3 AWAY TO THINK THEY ARE OLD AND OUT OF DATE AND THROW AWAY.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 PM

I crocheted a tablecloth once that took 6 months. my mil put it up and would not use it, was afraid to spill something on it,said she didn't know how to wash it. I said,hello, it is 1oo percent cotton' throw it in the washer and use soap and bleach. If I thought she wasn't going to use it I would NEVER put that much work into it. To be honest my feelingswere hurt. never made her anything again. my quilts go on the floor with the grands, dogs and cat. some are 6 or 7 years old and look great.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:37 PM

I think there are some quilts out there that should not be used. By that I mean they have either sentimental value (made by or for a loved one who has since passed away) or are old and/or valuable. Those I think can be displayed but a quilt that was made in the 1800s would not be a quilt I would recommend for use on a children's bed or for a picnic blanket. I think most quilts are made to be used and loved until they are well worn out but there are exceptions and I think such quilts should be recognized as being precious enough to not use until worn into pieces. Just my opinion.

crafty: If your MIL is afraid to use it, suggest she buy a clear plastic table cloth to go over it. I have a beautiful lace tablecloth (now packed in a box somewhere from the last move) that I do this with. I would not be happy if it got stained but I still want to use it so I compromise and put a lightweight plastic tablecloth over it. This way I can still display it and others can enjoy it but I don't have to worry about it getting soiled or worse, snagged and ruined.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Sounds like my house! I can't quilt one without my fox terrier initiating it. Either she's under it in my lap, or the terrier-spaniel is on top of it at my feet! Look at the avitar...it's my bed, but her quilt!

My quilts are always made and given with the understanding that they are to be used. I always pray that the receivers will wear them out. At least the quilt was functional and enjoyed! It gives me an excuse to make another.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM

I understand your disappointment. I sent a quilt to a soldier in Iraq. Lots of time went into to hand quilting and embroidery to customize it for him. I wanted him to see it every day and remember that we were all praying for him and that we appreciated everything he was doing for us. Well, instead of using it, he sent it to his mother. It's sitting in her closet! I had to tell myself that I did what was in my heart to do and let it go, but, that was hard.