Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many of You  Actually use Your Quilts...... >

How Many of You Actually use Your Quilts......

How Many of You Actually use Your Quilts......

Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

All the quilts in my house except what are on the beds, can be used for most anything. The grands grab one and head outside. I have found several on the trampoline used for cloud watching! Beach blankets, umbrellas, bath wraps, pallets, dog beds, and sometime they are used to cover with. Ha.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 AM

All my quilts were made for other people or organizations. Since I've only been quilting for about a year and my DW is far ahead of me in skill and # of quilts done we use some of hers. I just haven't found a pattern that I've fallen in love with but I'm looking! 8-)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have noticed that a few of us have pets and kids running around the house and was wondering, after all the long hours of labor and love do you put your quilts to use?

For me the answer is OF COURSE!!!

The way I look at it I want mine to be used and enjoyed, not stored in a container so it is kept safe from anything happening to it. My wife always wants to put them up, but I keep telling her that I made that one and I can make another one just like it if it ever wears out.

But this is coming from a guy that drives a full custom 1951 Ford everyday and uses sewing machines that they haven't made in almost 100 years for everyday sewing/quilt making. :D :lol:
Billy
I can't imagine making a quilt that would be put into a closet or stored away. That said, while I like my quilts to be used, I'm a bit pickier at what they are used for. While I don't mind a quilt being used as a picnic cloth, I certainly would not want something I've spent 800+ hours on, is full of hand applique and hand quilted, to be used that way. Things like a Baltimore Album quilt, for me, should be hung up on display (keeps the walls warm & helps insulate my old, old house) or on a bed. I know others who have no problem with how their quilts are used but I'm a bit pickier. That said, everyone who has received a quilt from me knows it is a labor of love and they respect what I've created for them. The only quilt that is put away is one I made for my MIL. She knows it is worth several thousand dollars and thus she tucks it away. I'd much rather see it on a bed or in use but since I gave it to her I don't have a say in how she uses it. She has the one I made my now deceased FIL hanging in her livingroom. She even had a special hanger made for it & I get a warm, fuzzy feeling every time I'm over there and see it in use.

Everyone in my family has a lap quilt and bed quilt from me and except for the one for my MIL, they are all being used and loved. Well, everyone except hubby and me. :oops: I really need to get something made for us.

I guess if I didn't have so much invested in each quilt and it didn't take me so long to make them (I sew at the speed of slow!) then I might not care as much, but I do and I refuse to apologize for it. ;)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:16 PM

I have only one quilt that I can say is truly mine and that was given to me by my brother for a wedding present and I use it. Why not use on a cold winter night? The other quilts I have made have been sold are in the process of being solding. I guess my reply is yes I do use my quilts.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have 4 dogs (Irish Setter, 2 Poms and a Chihuahua) and they usually sleep with my wife and I every night. Sometimes my daughter will take a couple of them but since she has her new quilt I finished for her she is kinda leary of them sleeping on it. :roll:

But when I change the bedding and throw on the freshly washed quilt they love to roll around and snuggle in it!! I have trained them well..................
I'm so glad to hear someone else sleeps with their furry friends! Quilts and all
Billy
Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 PM

Is that a Firebird in your photo? I have a 1968. Had it since it was born.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 PM

I want mine used and loved
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM

As so many other do, I like to use my quilts. My second quilt, called Too Many Colors, is a horrific version of Drunkards Path, and I dont care if it gets worn out..Probably never will...I did find that the cheap fabric does not hold up so I always buy the good stuff...I have one wall hanging... The one I made for my fav DGS is hanging on the wall, til I yanked it down on last visit and wrapped him in it... He loved it and I told him he can use it any time....It is lovely, hand-pieced and hand quilted. But it's my GRANDSON!!!!
Ellen
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
As so many other do, I like to use my quilts. My second quilt, called Too Many Colors, is a horrific version of Drunkards Path, and I dont care if it gets worn out..Probably never will...I did find that the cheap fabric does not hold up so I always buy the good stuff...I have one wall hanging... The one I made for my fav DGS is hanging on the wall, til I yanked it down on last visit and wrapped him in it... He loved it and I told him he can use it any time....It is lovely, hand-pieced and hand quilted. But it's my GRANDSON!!!!
Ellen
Yeah, the things we do for our grandsons! :!:
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM

I would not make my quilts if I thought the gift would not be used. Of course there is that daughter-in-law that would kill if something was spilled on it!
SEWTOO