Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much is a Quilt Worth? >

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM
JAS

I am making a quilt for a friend,90"x 108" Paper pieced, plaid 8" log cabins, set with 8" double 4 patches with a 32"x40" center hand-appliqued panel. I designed it all. I am setting it together now. What is it worth? Realy
Hours of work, materials, batting, thread and having it quilted. Designing it. From all this talk I would say in the 12-1500 range...I absolutely have no idea othewise..will I charge for it NO...am I crazy perhapes, but it is something I want to do.. if it was not I would have to charge high because likely i would never make it again and it is one of a kind.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:23 PM

It all depends on the person. yes you want to be paid for you work but some people price things to high or to low. Another think to think about is the quality if the fabric is thin it will not last as long and also how it is put togther weak seams will not holdand seams that are to tight will tear. If the person who asked for the quilt likes what you have done (and they must if they want you to make one for them) let her know you are willing to but it is rather costly.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM

how much is a handmade homemade quilt worth? that depends.i have made some that i would not show to a soul and i have made some that are show quality and something to be proud of. what those who want quilts made for them do not realize is the cost of labor, time, and product that goes into the making of a quilt. especially if the quilt is a one of a kind (as most are). personally, i keep track of the fabric, thread, needles, and the cost of anything else i may use like fuseables, batting, etc... then i figure up the per sq. inch (psi) and multiply that by whatever i am going to charge such as 3 cents psi. add that total to the cost of everything else and you should have a ball park figure of what you might consider charging.. a quilt is a piece of art-no less than a canvas painted by vangogh or monet. i sell some of my quilts privately as well as at an art and craft mall...private sales for me is when a person likes what they see and buys it without question. at the art/crafts mall, i see people look at my quilts and make snide comments about going to sears or pennys or belk for better prices. so what! that quilt from the shopping mall and department store is not likely to last more than ten years and it will look like thousands of others made in china, india, and mexico.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM

There is nothing like an original hand made quilt by a friend. Consider the fact that you are making the quilt and the fact that quilts are making history these days and she will have a piece of history in a few years. Also, i don't care how much you pay or save in JCP or any other store, you will never get a piece like this one. This is custom made to the customer. Tell your friend the price and she will take it or leave it. Overall, you won't lose any sleep over it once you put it on the table for her to make a decision. One thing for sure, she will never under estimate a quilter and her talents. Good luck...with the finished piece.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Caryn
how much is a handmade homemade quilt worth? that depends.i have made some that i would not show to a soul and i have made some that are show quality and something to be proud of. what those who want quilts made for them do not realize is the cost of labor, time, and product that goes into the making of a quilt. especially if the quilt is a one of a kind (as most are). personally, i keep track of the fabric, thread, needles, and the cost of anything else i may use like fuseables, batting, etc... then i figure up the per sq. inch (psi) and multiply that by whatever i am going to charge such as 3 cents psi. add that total to the cost of everything else and you should have a ball park figure of what you might consider charging.. a quilt is a piece of art-no less than a canvas painted by vangogh or monet. i sell some of my quilts privately as well as at an art and craft mall...private sales for me is when a person likes what they see and buys it without question. at the art/crafts mall, i see people look at my quilts and make snide comments about going to sears or pennys or belk for better prices. so what! that quilt from the shopping mall and department store is not likely to last more than ten years and it will look like thousands of others made in china, india, and mexico.
Very well said. It is sad that most people don't have a clue what goes into a quilt.
Patti Sue
Old 12-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the great information. I get lots of positive responses to the quilts I make and hang in a neighborhood fabric/craft store. It is now time for me to spread my wings and make quilts to sell.
Thanks to all you wonderful quilters.

Eleanor
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM

i have made "to order" only one quilt and the personwho wanted it made was planning to put that quilt in a raffle. well, i did not have a problem with it going to the raffle-it was for a good cause. the problem i did have was that i was not paid nearly what i should have been paid..but, well that was okay too..it was for a relative of mine that i love dearly. the really big problem that i had with this quilt was that i literally tortured myself making decisions like colors, size, quilting patterns, appliques? and the buyer was of course no help in these simple but complex matters. the quilt turned out nicely and everyone liked it and it made a good bit of money in the raffle. i will never torture myself like that again..it was worse than writers block. these days i do not make quilts to order for anyone. they either like what i do and have on hand at the price that i set or they don't.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:07 PM

I did some math with the cost of fabric, notions, batting, etc. and came up with the price of 10 cents per square inch.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 PM

you took your length and width measurements and multiplied to get your psi...then you multiplied your total psi by 10 cents. and then you added to that total the cost of your materials (fabric, batting, thread, fusibles etc..) to get to the price you want to charge for your quilt. is that right? i ask because .10 is rather high for a psi unless your quilt is either really really good or your materials were very inexpensive, or you are including inthat .10 your labor. i ask this because i generally figure no more that .05 cents psi...otherwise i would never sell a quilt..and even .05 can be a tad high depending on the quality of the quilt...heirloom quilts generally are gonna be expensive but a good quality quilt that is gonna be used by the consumer and last awhile does not need to be too high in price. generally when i come to a final price with my figures...i still end up discounting total asking price.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:25 PM

The price of .10/sq inch is the total,includes fabric, time, batting and quilting.