Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much is a Quilt Worth? >

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 AM

Friend or not business is business. The way to keep a good friend is to teach them to separate friendship with business. Just because they are a good friend does not mean you should give them a break on your price. My family and friends know this and they would not dare try and get me to do anything for them for less than what I would charge a total stranger.

On the other hand and speaking from experience in direct sales for many, many years I have learned that folks that feel bad or are unwilling to charge what they are worth for their services is due mostly because they would not pay that amount (whatever it is) themselves for that product and service.

A person will pay what they are willing to pay period and we need to get over feeling guilty for charging what we presume to be to much.

Using my experience in direct sales and giving quality customer service my fee was $30-35 an hour where as my counter parts for the most part would often accuse me of robbing others blind or that no one's time was worth that much to sell those products. Thing is I was year after year earning more money for same time they put in which allowed me to get a lot of rewards for my efforts beyond what my fee was for the services and they didn't.

There are still tons of folks out there who want quality work and quality customer service and if you can provide them with what they want they will pay top dollar for it.

Truthfully if I were to be commissioned to make a king size quilt no way would I do it for less that $1400 and as high as $2000.00. The person who commissioned me would have to put at least half of that amount down in cash before I even went shopping for the materials needed to create this project.

Those that are unwilling to pay for your service and work are not the type customers you want. You want to find those that have YOUR money in there pockets and willing to hand it over to you.

That is how I ran my business in direct sales for more than 30 years. I did not go after clients that did not have my money in there pockets. I sought out those that had money in there pockets.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:40 AM

You also can buy a quilt cost calculator in most fabric stores or craft stores for about $38-40 and if you have a coupon off for that store you often can get it for a lot less.

Well worth having when out and about and shopping for materials.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:07 AM

This summer, I was hired to make this hand quilted lap quilt. I was paid $500 and it included supplies, material, and labor. I had 36 hrs in the piecing the top and 60 hrs in the quilting. The size was 64"

My friend has asked me to make a 96" x 112" (Different pattern, a little bit more difficult)
I agree that my fee of $800 is not enough. I am glad I posted this question before I have given her the estimate.
I wonder if I have been underestimating my own worth.

Pretty Pansie Posy Patch by Lynda Hall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146809[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-146804.jpe  
Old 12-22-2010, 06:15 AM

you have gotten a lot of good suggestions...your time and talent are a gift please don"t feel guilty using it and receiving payment for it in return....you are worth it...if I did not quilt and could afford to have a quilt made for myself I would be delighted,I often send my quilts out to be quilted and do not hesitate to pay the agreeded upon price for the work...
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
This summer, I was hired to make this hand quilted lap quilt. I was paid $500 and it included supplies, material, and labor. I had 36 hrs in the piecing the top and 60 hrs in the quilting. The size was 64"

My friend has asked me to make a 96" x 112" (Different pattern, a little bit more difficult)
I agree that my fee of $800 is not enough. I am glad I posted this question before I have given her the estimate.
I wonder if I have been underestimating my own worth.
Yes you have been underestimating your own worth and that is a beautiful lap quilt you made this summer.

Pay yourself what you feel you are worth and add it to the cost of materials.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 AM

I just sold one for $300.00 because she was a friend. i basically gave it away. i got reimbursed for fabric not labor. if i do another one i would at least charge $500.00.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Tell the lady the price and see what she says. If she is alright with it then there you go. But if she is suprised with the price then rethink the pricing. I have sold crafts and think that the price of your labor is almost nothing. If you price your labor at minimun wage then you will really outprice you item.Certainly not $20. Perhaps a quilt is different but I think that you should figure materials plus a small charge fo labor plus cost of machine quilting if needs to be sent out. I quess I look at it as what else would I be doing with my time.( not cleaning). Also remenber to get most of the money up front as has been suggested my board members.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 AM

please charge the 800.00 and your precious time..so 1200.00 sounds like a deal to me..however..be sure this monies involved is discussed beforehand or you may have inherited yourself a quilt..some folks just dont know and might figure 200.00 or 300.00..what a surprise to them and if they agree on the 1200..then they really want it and you should be honored...good luck
Old 12-22-2010, 02:04 PM

After you figure cost of materials, and add just a little labor cost, you cannot make a quilt for less than $500.00 to $800.00. That is just the way it is with a handcrafted article. And never apologize when you give the figure
Old 12-22-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lneal
A lot of you have mentioned having your quilts appraised. How do you go about having this done, could you offer some more information about it? Who does the appraising and how much does it cost?
There is a member of our quilt guild who does appraising. It cost me $40.00 to have my quilt appraised. I bet your local fabric store has the name of an appraiser. Good luck!