Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much is a Quilt Worth? >

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM

Quilts take a long time to make, and they also do wear and tear on your machines, and this should also be factored in to the price.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM

I made a Dear Jane quilt - took me 2 years - all hand quilted. I used fabric from JoAnn (not expensive material)and muslin for the background and the back. I had it appraised and the appraiser put a value on it of $2,650.00.
Of course, I could not sell it for that but that is the appraised value for the material and time I spent. She even took into consideration the time it took to shop for all the material! Hope this helps. Don't underestimate your work.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM

I bought a King about 10 years ago in Amish country, PA. and it was $700. Not terribly involved. Was hand quilted, tho.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:14 PM

A lot of you have mentioned having your quilts appraised. How do you go about having this done, could you offer some more information about it? Who does the appraising and how much does it cost?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 PM

You could try asking at your local quilt shops if they know someone who does quilt appraisal. Sometimes at our quilt shows, there will be someone who will do appraisals by appointment. They charge a fee to do the appraisal.

As to the quilt you are being asked to make, especially if you are hand quilting it, $800.00 is not nearly enough $ for you to charge. That "might" cover the actual quilting, but not for the materials. If it took you 80 hours to hand quilt the king size quilt, you would only be getting $10.00 an hour for your time for the quilting and that wouldn't even include the piecing time...which would be many more hours. I agree with others...have her purchase all the fabric for top, back and the batting and thread, and then charge a fee for doing the piecing and the quilting. (3x cost of materials as a starting point, but with handquilting, it may be even more)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:50 PM

Estimate how many hours it will take to make it. How much would you pay someone per hour to do the work? Add in the cost of materials, and if it's a business, add 25% for profit. That's what it's worth.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lneal
The problem is me :D She picked out the pattern, told me both husband and herself decided they wanted me to make the quilt. The cost is not an issue, so I am assuming it is the choice for handmade. But why do I feel so guilty about charging this much?
I use top quality material and they are willing to pay the price. Maybe I will feel better once I have given them the estimate and find out their reaction. Which I am sure it will be to make the quilt :D :D
You are surely underestimating your own worth. There is no reason for you to feel "guilt". Your friends must recognize the quality of your work and would probably question their choice if you suddenly made them a quilt for a Walmart price.
Just look around, people still do pay for outstanding work.

By the way, I just sold a queen sized original quilt for $1500.00. I gave them one price quote and they were glad to get it at that price.

Happy stitching,
Karen
Old 12-21-2010, 06:58 PM

The problem is me :D She picked out the pattern, told me both husband and herself decided they wanted me to make the quilt. The cost is not an issue, so I am assuming it is the choice for handmade. But why do I feel so guilty about charging this much?
I use top quality material and they are willing to pay the price. Maybe I will feel better once I have given them the estimate and find out their reaction. Which I am sure it will be to make the quilt :D :D
You feel guilty, because like the rest of us, we do this because we love it, not because of the money. Give her all of the information, and I wouldn't make it a negotiation. This is what it will cost, and if it's too much, I understand. You could get that much at an auction. Give yourself credit for your abilities and time. You're worth it. 8-)
Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM

I know how you feel. I've been told, however, that we must consider the market value of quilts, and they are a lot higher than what many of us think because we're doing it, basically, for fun. But think of some items you see in stores that cost a lot and you wonder why. $800 doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Present this price to your friend and see what she says.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 PM

You are feeling guilty, because like a lot of us, you under value your time and talent. They made a conscious decision to have you make them a quilt. That is a testament to the value of your talent from where they sit. If they could make it themselves, they would not have asked you. If they wanted cheap, they know where to look. They want to treasure your talent and art. LET THEM! Make sure you add a nice label for posterity. It sounds like one of your quilts is headed for a future 'Antiques Roadshow'. That ain't a bad thing. You know, this officially makes you a 'fiber artist'. Applause! Applause! :thumbup: