Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much is a Quilt Worth? >

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

How Much is a Quilt Worth?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 AM

I recently finished three quilts for a friend of my brother's. I was give permission to do anything I wanted. I discussed the price of fabric, batting and the cost of my labor. The lady (lived in another state) told me to do anything I needed to do, she wanted the quilts finished so she could give them to her grandchildren. I still felt like I was over charging, even though I bought all the supplies using sales and coupons. She didn't even hestitate when I told her the final cost. I realize that we/I under value my time and skill. Heck I would do it for free. :lol:
Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
The problem is me :D She picked out the pattern, told me both husband and herself decided they wanted me to make the quilt. The cost is not an issue, so I am assuming it is the choice for handmade. But why do I feel so guilty about charging this much?
I use top quality material and they are willing to pay the price. Maybe I will feel better once I have given them the estimate and find out their reaction. Which I am sure it will be to make the quilt :D :D
I would definetly give her the estimate but when you do so, just explain the charges, she should understand. I know a lot of people don't, but if you have it broke down and if you may need to show examples of where and how you came up with your totals. If she is not happy, then maybe it is not meant to be. I think that is pretty reasonable quote without knowing all the details. There is a lot of material in a king size, in addition to piecing, borders, quilting, binding and tons of time. A friend of mine did a quilt much smaller and was a PP type of star, with tons of quilting and she sold it for 1200.00. I believe it was about 69x69.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 AM

I haven't quoted her a price yet, for which I am glad. There is so much information here to consider before I do give her a price. Right now we are in the stage of choosing the pattern, colors, and
deciding an estimate for the quilt. I think I am selling my time short.
It isn't like I do this for a business, so I am perfectly okay if she thinks I am charging too much and decides not to have me make the quilt. However, she is so determined to have me make this king size quilt, that she said she does not care about how much it cost. I just want to be fair with her and myself.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM

I sell my queen for 350.00 to 600.00 depends on the work in them. If someone does not want to pay that , then fine with me. But that is a lot of work and to me & you have a beautiful heirloom to hand down in the family. Think about having your car worked on. How much is labor???? Part 5.95 labor 150.00 . Takes 15 min. to do work. Do I need to say more?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM

A few years ago I was commissioned to make several twin size childrens' quilts. I charged $300 plus the cost of materials for each. I think $800 is a very fair price for the quilt you've been asked to make.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 AM

I just sold a quilt 104" x 104" all Batiks, wool batting and heavy design quilting, all custom $1200.00 They Did not blink and wrote the check for $1500.00. At $800.00, for a king, I think, is low for pure custom work.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 AM

If it bothers you to charge her what it costs, then have her provide the materials. Then your price will be only what you charge for your services.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM

You can buy all sorts of quilts on line or at some of the department stores ... BUT ... the quilting is about 3 stitches per inch, if that, and the quality of the material is sometimes not so good. Also, it depends on whether you are making a hand quilted quilt or a machine quilted one. I don't think $800 is too much for a hand quilted king size quilt, especially if the person gets to pick out the pattern and material.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:47 AM

I would give them all your info. Show them the cost. Then ask them to purchase the material or at least give you half up front so you won't be if out anything if they change their mind at the last minute, like I have heard happened to a quilter after she finished the quilt.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM

At a quick glance on an Amish website, the highest I seen was $1565. That is for a 97 x 110 in. size. It seems I've seen higher. There are some that are $440. Those are twin size, I think.