Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would this bug you?

Banned
    I had to look at it for quite a while before I saw what your talking about. I would leave it and if someone notices it I would tell them you did it on purpose. All of my quilts have a block that is off, turned wrong or inverted colors because I refuse to make anything perfect. Plus it is fun for the recipient to try and to find the flaw.

Billy

Blog Entries
    I can't tell! Up to u U have to live with it! I've learned there's gonna be mistakes. Have to learn to go with it. Not worth the stress.

I don't know of many 6 year olds whose quilts survived so well that when they were older they could tell such subtle differences. This is assuming the quilt is one you want him to love and use and to not display permanently on his bedroom wall to show his love for you.

He's a kid who I bet knows he is well loved.

Can't get much better than that.

ali

Power Poster
    Offhand, I don't see it -

but if it bugs you - then change it - it would probably take you less than 30 minutes to undo it and resew it -

and if you asked - I think it's bothering you -

On almost every question similar to yours, many say "it's fine" - and very few (comparatively speaking) say "change it"

Jim
    Im not perfect..far from it but, if it bugs me I have to take it out...if it doesnt bug you..dont...I still didn't see the mistake after looking 3 times

I am a little neurotic about this type of thing, but I really don't think it's a huge deal. I had too look and look and look to even find the boo boo and I'm still not sure if I got it. Lol. If it's going to bother you every time you look at it, and it's easy to fix, I'd say go for it. But if it's a more problematic fix and you can deal, then leave it. From what I can tell, the whole thing looks great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzz
    "The Amish purposely put mistakes in their quilts because only God is perfect" & "Mistakes add character to your quilt". These were the two mantras I repeated over and over and not just with quilting, with lots of stuff in my life.
    A couple of people said similar things, thank you! Love that perspective, and maybe I'll use it to try and make myself less neurotic. I'm also a knitter and I've been known to rip out several dozen rows because I forgot a yarn-over. I really need to let it go. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
    ETA: Nice job matching seams. I know there are no Quilt Police here, but I can't help noticing careful workmanship and yours looks pretty darn precise. ;)
    Thank you! :-) My first quilt had some really wonky seams (sometimes a quarter inch or more off) and I was pleased by how well these came out. I cut this one with an Accuqilt so maybe that helped ... rotary cutting was hard for me to get the hang of!

Blog Entries
    "The Amish purposely put mistakes in their quilts because only God is perfect"
    It fascinates me every time this subject comes up. I find it difficult to believe that anyone needs to add a mistake to keep from being perfect. I make plenty without doing it on purpose.

Ed
    I thank it is fine the way it is. Your son is going to love it.

i wouldn't take it out. Its all red ...

The Amish do not make a mistake on purpose. I personally asked if they did this and they said no they do not add a mistake intensionally..

Since it's not a glaring mistake, I'd leave it alone. I'm one that does rip out if I see a mistake that's obvious but this one is not obvious. Wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't pointed it out.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    After 3 more quilts, you'll smile to see the mistake you made when you were a newbie. My grandmother never tore anything out. "Finished" is better than "perfect" anyway.

leave it its not that noticeable unless you are looking for it

Love those dragons! Cute, cute quilt. It doesn't bother me, and I doubt that he will notice it. In fact, I doubt that anyone will notice if you don't point it out (which is the hard part), but if it drives you nuts, fix it.

Hi Becki .. it would drive me crazy. Yes I would take it out and fix it ..

I started quilting in 1999, and have some quilts where I did not go back to correct the thing that was bugging me. And they still bother me now when I look at them. So,if you might be like me, change the arrangement of your log cabin blocks now. :)

When I first started quilting, it would have bugged me...now, I'd leave it!!!

Fix it
    Its a quilt that you made for your son
    He should cherish and carry with him to pass on
    You want to be known for the love and hard work you did for him
    Fix it

I can't see what you're referring to, just a mighty pretty quilt! I think I speak for all of us when I say, "Let's see a pic of the whole thing please!" :-D

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
    "The Amish purposely put mistakes in their quilts because only God is perfect" & "Mistakes add character to your quilt". These were the two mantras I repeated over and over and not just with quilting, with lots of stuff in my life.
    A couple of people said similar things, thank you! Love that perspective, and maybe I'll use it to try and make myself less neurotic. I'm also a knitter and I've been known to rip out several dozen rows because I forgot a yarn-over. I really need to let it go. :-)
    Haha, I'm a knitter too, and I'll do the same thing! Just last winter I was working on a sweater done in the round, and I got all the way to the armpits before I finally admitted to myself that it was way too big. I will never forget the horror on Fiance's face when I yanked the needles out and started ripping. :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newbee3
    If it's going to bug you redo it but I would not take it out
    agreed! Everyone's tolerance is different. My tcher at the LQS where I took 2 classes said, "Rip out if it bothers you." Otherwise chalk it up to a lesson learned....

Blog Entries
    After a lifetime of sewing I have discovered this about myself. If I find a problem that can be fixed and I don't fix it I regret it forever.. because I could have done something about it and should have.. If I find it when it's too late to fix it, like after a quilt is quilted and bound.. then I don't worry about it again.. So if I find it, I fix it.. I have things around here that I can show you today that I should have fixed! You never know how long that little blanket you're making for your 6 year old will be around.. could be a v-e-r-y long time! Would you want your children's children cuddling a blanket you could have fixed?

Knowing it was there would bug me everytime I looked at it and since it is going to live with you I would redo it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast