Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

Blog Entries
    Since you all ready have a buyer go with $1,400 if she is uncomfortable with that you can always go down. I agree that what we want to charge and what someone would pay is usually a lot different. I charge for the material,batting plus at at least $3.50 a square foot for a simple pattern and up as the pattern is more timely in making it.

Ruby the Quilter

Blog Entries
    Word of mouth is the best advertising. I suggest, based on prices I see at quilt shows and taking into consideration that this is a repeat customer, asking $800 - $1000. And explain that it would normally cost $1200 - $1400 but that because of her repeat business and you appreciate her business, you are giving her a break. Anyone else would pay more. JMHO. Don't sell yourself short - you are an artist. Don't know your area or the economy so I may be way off base.

Quick story - A friend of mine had sent his quilt to the LA. She called him when it was done and told him she had a customer interested in his quilt and what would he sell it for. He really didn't want to sell it so he said $1600. The customer came the next day and dropped of a check. Now he has to put the binding on and he's a happy camper. He said he could always make another one.

Blog Entries
    The pillow shams are a LOT of work too, almost like making another quarter of the quilt to do two shams.

You should charge
    amount of time X $15.00 hr + cost of materials = $

You could "guestimate" the amount of time from the lap size that you have already made. I think your price (if you figure it this way) will be much higher than the suggestions I've seen posted. The above "formula is used for "replacement of quilt" (insurance) appraisals. I don't know how it is figured if you wanted to "sell" a quilt, but the final figure would be much lower. Hope this helps. And will be curious to know what you decide to charge, if you will be posting that information???

This is a beautiful quilt. The lady has purchased from you before and so knows the quality of work you produce.Besides cost of fabric etc. and time, I think you should add in most of all your creativity. This is not a bedspread and it is not anything you would ever find in a store.

A lot of people could not afford this quilt, but I will tell you there a many, many that could-it is not right to deny people with money the right to buy lovely quilts!

I think the members of this very knowledgeable board are steering you in the right direction--$1200-$1500.

quilts!

WOW - What a gorgeous quilt

Blog Entries
    I would start with the high-end suggestions you've received, Eddie. And don't forget to charge for the pillow shams too. Remember, you can always come down in price, but you can't go back up when you find she was going to give you a check for $2000!

If it's still available, see my posting of 8/28/10 of a Lone Star I bartered for a landscape plan; I think I really got burned. (But still wish I'd bought the extra border fabric for the area under the pillows.)

You're an artist ..... a designer ..... and you do beautiful work. Don't sell yourself short!

Blog Entries
    I would charge 1,200-1,400. you should times everything by 4 cost of material , time you must consider everything when pricing It is beautiful. Don't cheat yourself be realistic you know the cost of everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I have a customer that I made 3 quilts for them to give as Christmas gifts back in December. Two of them were simple patterned lap size quilts, and the other was a full size rag quilt. She wants me to make them one for their guest room now that will be queen size and like the pics shown below. The quilt shown below is a lap size one that I did and she wants basically one exactly like it, except in queen size (92 x 98) . The leaves are all fused on and machine appliqued using a blanket stitch, and it's all done in batiks. I quilted it on my longarm as the quilting shown. I don't believe money would be an object, but I really have no idea how much to charge for something like this - it is labor intensive because of all the appliqued leaves, but I don't really know what would be reasonable and fair to charge for something like this.

What do you think?

Edit to add: She also wants two matching queen pillow shams made to go with it, same design on them as well.

By my calculations, the fabrics will be about $210. I figure it will take about 30 minutes per leaf, and there will be about 80 leaves on the quilt, and about say 10 on each pillow, so about 100 leaves - so that's 50 hours. Plus the time to make the top itself and then about 30 hours of quilting. So if we say 80 hours, the price that I was thinking of asking comes out to only about $3.84 per hour in labor - I just don't want to sell myself short.
    If you don't mind my asking, what did you charge her for the original 3 pieces you made ?

Blog Entries
    I think that estimate is a little high. I estimate cost by taking the cost of material, say $50.00, double that+$100, then add an estimate of hours and multiply that by minimum wage, add to the $200 and then round it off to the next $100 point for a quilt. you have as your profit $150.00. Sure and its a lot of work, but I have found that if you charge too much, even for a masterpiece you are charging to much.

Blog Entries
    What kind of fabric do you use, and how many yards and what kind of batting. If you pay that much for materials, $1000 is a good price, but where in the world could you buy fabric at that price per yard.

Blog Entries
    I don't believe money would be an object. (Quote)

First it is a beautful quilt.

Material cost plus four times I don't think would be out of line. If the customer wants it they would pay that. If they don't it seems to me that you have enough to do.

Working a full time job plus this quilting business is a load. I work full time and quilt but can not match your production.

Blog Entries
    don't know what you should charge but it's a beautiful quilt

Quote Originally Posted by ritamaew
    cost of materials times 4.

just my thoughts

Rita

at leasat $1200
    Well I have to agree with this formula. That quilt is fabulous and a real treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by suezquilts
    $500-$600
    In our area, hand made quilts go for around $500 queen size.

I love the quilt. It is so hard for me to market and sell quilts here, especailly now.

You do wonderful work. I admire the details you put into the leaves. Keep up the good work.
    Sure if you want to gift it. There's so much intensive, time-consuming work in it.

Banned
    Beautiful.....

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/bedd...-shams/?page=2
    I was looking at Pottery barn...may help with the pricing, they are hand quilted...no idea if from th US or imported and if so from where.
    I think they are mostly made in China or India. Was I surprised to discover quilts in France (Provence to be exact) from India! Sometimes I think I should quit quilting and just buy from Pottery Barn or Macy's! But then I wouldn't have the enjoyment of creating (even if it costs me ever so much more)!

Most of those "hand-made" imported quilts at WalMart, Macy's Pottery Barn, etc. are made by CHILD LABOR---as young as four working 12-16 hour days....virtual slaves.
    If I am ever around someone picking one up to buy, they get informed. Am I making a dent? Most likely not, but cannot stand silently by either!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing

It came out to less than $4 per hour. Which is a reason I was kind of relieved she didn't want to go forward with it.
    at that rate, wanna make me a queen sized quilt? i'll pick that pattern :mrgreen: :mrgreen:.

NEVER undervalue yourself.
    edit to add: she was very foolish not to know a steal when it was offered to her. she could obviously afford to have quilts custom made and she should have worked out a payment plan or pay-as-you-go kind of thing with you. her loss.
    I want one! She was nuts! No comment about you (said with loving kindness)!

Blog Entries
    somewhere between $350 and $500; depending on what i'm getting batik's for, if i'm paying over $10 a yard for them i may adjust that to between $500 and $750.
    I have a customer that I made 3 quilts for them to give as Christmas gifts back in December. Two of them were simple patterned lap size quilts, and the other was a full size rag quilt. She wants me to make them one for their guest room now that will be queen size and like the pics shown below. The quilt shown below is a lap size one that I did and she wants basically one exactly like it, except in queen size (92 x 98) . The leaves are all fused on and machine appliqued using a blanket stitch, and it's all done in batiks. I quilted it on my longarm as the quilting shown. I don't believe money would be an object, but I really have no idea how much to charge for something like this - it is labor intensive because of all the appliqued leaves, but I don't really know what would be reasonable and fair to charge for something like this.

What do you think?

Edit to add: She also wants two matching queen pillow shams made to go with it, same design on them as well.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    omg... your quilt is specTacular. Prize worthy. beautiful, beautiful, beau-ti-Ful!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely beauiful --- I am in the process of doing a similar quilt and am almost ready to put the leaves on. How did you decide how to place them? Love what you did and I believe it is piceless so would never be able to give you a $ amount.

Quote Originally Posted by cackie88
    Absolutely beauiful --- I am in the process of doing a similar quilt and am almost ready to put the leaves on. How did you decide how to place them? Love what you did and I believe it is piceless so would never be able to give you a $ amount.
    Thanks for the kind words! I just started placing leaves one at a time and stitching them down, then after each one thinking about what color would look right next to it, and continuing on that way. I tried to make them as random looking as possible by turning them and having some overlap, etc.

Blog Entries
    did you buy a die for the leafs? if so from which company. I saw a few for the studio

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    did you buy a die for the leafs? if so from which company. I saw a few for the studio
    No, I cut them all out with scissors.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast