Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much would you charge to make this? >

How much would you charge to make this?

How much would you charge to make this?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 PM

I think 800 is fair even in Indiana. Usually if you have to ask you can't afford it. You can always surprise her with less afterwards if its not as complicated as it looks.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 PM

I have seen this quilt done in fall golds and browns. Its stunning. Looks like a fun one to do too.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 PM

We made this pattern in our quilt guild, it was a kit, and the maple leaves were all wrong. so we had to get some more material and make them right. But it turned out great.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 AM

I have no idea, but I would definitely get a contract signed and be sure to let her know that this isn't a project that can be done in a couple of days or even a week. That all quilting takes time, and your time is as valuable as those in plumbing, electrical, automotive repair, etc. and they always charge an hourly rate for labor, plus parts. When I decorated cakes for the public, I charged by the slice, plus extra for extra decorations, roses, lattice, etc. I once had a lady who wanted a wedding cake done and when I quoted her a starting price, she thought I was too high. Her husband was a locksmith and I informed her my time was as valuable to me as his was to him, and he charged for parts and for his labor. She went somewhere else, but I didn't lose sleep over it. You also need to include the factors of thread, batting, backing and whatever else that is not included in the kit. Your labor is worth a lot my dear. I don't think $800 is at all too high, maybe just a little low. I don't quilt for the public because most don't want to pay for your time and ability. If she isn't happy with your quote, then too bad. Do you really want to do this particular pattern, if you don't please do not commit yourself to something you will regret getting into.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 AM

About a million dollars, and you can pick it up in 2112, cos that's when I will have it finished :lol:
Old 06-11-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
I have no idea, but I would definitely get a contract signed and be sure to let her know that this isn't a project that can be done in a couple of days or even a week. That all quilting takes time, and your time is as valuable as those in plumbing, electrical, automotive repair, etc. and they always charge an hourly rate for labor, plus parts. When I decorated cakes for the public, I charged by the slice, plus extra for extra decorations, roses, lattice, etc. I once had a lady who wanted a wedding cake done and when I quoted her a starting price, she thought I was too high. Her husband was a locksmith and I informed her my time was as valuable to me as his was to him, and he charged for parts and for his labor. She went somewhere else, but I didn't lose sleep over it. You also need to include the factors of thread, batting, backing and whatever else that is not included in the kit. Your labor is worth a lot my dear. I don't think $800 is at all too high, maybe just a little low. I don't quilt for the public because most don't want to pay for your time and ability. If she isn't happy with your quote, then too bad. Do you really want to do this particular pattern, if you don't please do not commit yourself to something you will regret getting into.
Do you think someone would pay me the $75/hour I have to pay my plumber? Can I have their phone number?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also went to the Charm City Cakes website (that's the "Ace of Cakes" guy) and their cakes START at 1000 dollars and go up from there... suffice to say, my daughter got her sweet 16 cake from a local baker instead ("only" 300 dollars, but it was worth it!) :-D
Old 06-11-2010, 05:36 AM

Thanks everyone for your advise. I am going to rethink making this quilt as I don't think I can be paid fairly for my time. For the time I would take on this quilt I could be making one for me! Knowing this customer and the area in which we live, there is no way I could charge $800. for this quilt. She may even struggle with $200. This womans daughter buys these kits for her mom, sight unseen. I may just offer to purchase the kit from her or maybe trade her a longarm quilting job for it. Either way, I will be ahead.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:41 AM

Sewing is a skill, even if you are sewing a straight line but you are also having to keep two pieces of material together at the same time. You'd be somewhat surprised at how many people can't do or won't sewing. Fine sewing is learned just like being the plumber, or guy/gal who repairs cars and look how much they charge for their skills. I have done some custom clothes (bridemaids) and I tell the client up front how much I will charge and it's up to them to decide and I require a down payment. Get a clean understanding from your client.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Fabulous discussion here. As I sell my quilts, I have this pricing problem too. I have had other sellers on artfire tell me that they appreciate the way I price my items. Many folks can't even be covering fabric costs for the prices they ask. I'm not "giving" anything away. $800 is certainly reasonable - and if you can't get it - don't do it. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
This is information I got a couple of years ago for pricing custom quilts. It might work for you.

Basic price for custom quilts is $15/square foot of finished quilt. This cost includes fabric, preparation, piecing, quilting and finishing. Price can vary depending on complexity of block pattern, preparation time, complexity of quilting, etc. Price can also vary (decrease) if customer provides own fabric.
Way to cheap. Think of how many hours it will take to do that and multiply it by the amount you want to be paid per hour.