Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much would you charge to make this? >

How much would you charge to make this?

How much would you charge to make this?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
I don't have a clue but its gorgeous!!!
Tell me about it- don't have a clue what to charge - breathtaking quilt- your avatar has me ROTF
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
Originally Posted by applique
Originally Posted by quiltilicious
Originally Posted by ktbb
This is information I got a couple of years ago for pricing custom quilts. It might work for you.

Basic price for custom quilts is $15/square foot of finished quilt. This cost includes fabric, preparation, piecing, quilting and finishing. Price can vary depending on complexity of block pattern, preparation time, complexity of quilting, etc. Price can also vary (decrease) if customer provides own fabric.
wow... my guesstimate isn't far off... this quilt is 50 square feet (just calculated it from the 80x90 dimensions given) and that comes out to 750.

And that doesn't include "custom design" fees, either. Hmmm...
My custom quilts usually go for $25 per square foot. I have a LAQ doing the quilting which can be as much as $400.
I have only sold one custom quilt so far, it was an oversize king that I designed - and I think I undercharged them at 1000 dollars. The materials and LAQ cost me 500. But the quilt turned out really beautiful and they have been ecstatic over it since they got it last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/voxwoma...70979/sizes/l/

This pricing discussion has been very enlightening. It's really difficult to know what to ask. I had never thought to base fees on the square footage of a quilt before, but I will now :-)
Your quilt is beautiful, no wonder the customers are delighted. Yes you definitely did UNDERCHARGE for that quilt. Great job there.