Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for a FQ?

I am collecting some Kaffe Fassett FQs for my GFG quilt..a local shop carries them but I have all the prints they have so far..so checking on eBay..I saw some with starting bid of 99 cents, I bid on the ones I like with my high being $2.00 which is what I would pay at my LQS..Well..I was outbid on all of them..Ok, No problem..we travel a lot and I can stop by different stores and shop..I am in no hurry..but looking at current bids got me wondering, how much would you be willing to pay for a FQ? Some are at $6.50 and bidding isn't over yet!

Blog Entries
    wow! not that much. I usually get em on sale for 99 cents

I can't imagine paying that much for a FQ, but never say never, right? lol. E-bay has a way of bringing out a competitive nature in some. No doubt bidders often have buyer's remorse. I suppose if a fabric were discontinued and I only needed one FQ, I might take that much of a plunge, but otherwise, no way!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I would pay more than that for original feedsaks. But for regular quilting fabric I'm a cheapo- $1. I'd rather buy the yard and get more for my money .

Blog Entries
    $2.00 would be my top price and thats pushing it. Only nuts would pay $6.50 for a peice of fabric 18 x22 inches...geez I want to have the money they must have to just blow.

Quote Originally Posted by candi
    I am collecting some Kaffe Fassett FQs for my GFG quilt..a local shop carries them but I have all the prints they have so far..so checking on eBay..I saw some with starting bid of 99 cents, I bid on the ones I like with my high being $2.00 which is what I would pay at my LQS..Well..I was outbid on all of them..Ok, No problem..we travel a lot and I can stop by different stores and shop..I am in no hurry..but looking at current bids got me wondering, how much would you be willing to pay for a FQ? Some are at $6.50 and bidding isn't over yet!
    I seen one of KF, F4's sell on ebay last week for 28.00, WOW!!

There are some really serious Kaffe Fassett collectors out there!
    Personally I have a hard time paying over $2.25 for any type of fat 1/4, but most shops around me are at $2.75 - $3.50 and getting it! I do know there is a premium for current Kaffe fat 1/4 at my LQS.

I think people get carried away on ebay... just noticed someone paid 11.50 for a 5 inch twister tool, that is on sale at Craft Warehouse for 7.00. I think people think that they are always gonna get a great deal, and then get into that "I gotta have IT" mentality and end up paying WAY TOO MUCH. Especially when you factor in postage. Plain crazy!

Blog Entries
    I think people forget that a FQ is a quarter of a yard. 4 times $6 is $24 - would they pay that for a yard? I have paid much more than that, but it wasn't quilting cotton. I have paid $2.75 for a FQ at the LQS if it's all I need and not available on a bolt. My LQS has most fabrics at $9.79 - $9.99, so it's not too much more.

We pay between $2.75 and $3.50 here at LQS, but sometimes you can get it cheaper on sale. Joanne's has the best price when they are on sale. My LQS sells fabric between $9.50 and $10.95.

I have some Kaffe Facett that is yardage, but I would never pay more than $5 for a fat quarter -- and then only if I needed it for a quilt and I ran out of fabric.

I am on the hunt for a piece of Laurel Burch, but can't see paying what is being asked.

Banned
    paying 6.50 for an original feed sack.....gosh I have a gold mine in my basement.

Blog Entries
    My not so LQS charges $4 on up a FQ for 100% cotton, and $6+ on up for a batik FQ. But I refuse to pay that.

Then again my (not so-L)LQS charges upwards of $15 a yard for cotton and upwards of $18 for batik

Fat quarters normally run $2.50 to $3 each around here. Our lqs has Friday Frolic and some fqs are $1 each. The problem is, if they aren't what you are looking for, the sale really doesn't help. JoAnn's fqs are priced less, but most of the fabric isn't very nice (larger weave, rougher texture, etc). I would not pay $6 for a fq unless I only had one block to finish a huge quilt and couldn't find the fabric anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    My not so LQS charges $4 on up a FQ for 100% cotton, and $6+ on up for a batik FQ. But I refuse to pay that.

Then again my (not so-L)LQS charges upwards of $15 a yard for cotton and upwards of $18 for batik
    Holy Cow!! Where is that at!?!? Those are crazy prices.

At Nancy's Notions in Beaver Dam WI, they are $2.79. I did buy some for a dollar each at her huge annual open house but I do think some are not quite up to the standard.
    I think the people paying $6.50 are like people you find at some auctions-they know they can get a new item cheaper but it is the thrill of the chase.

depends on if i need it and if is hard to find, can't see more than 2.50

np3
    Blog Entries
    I never pay more than the value of a yard of the same fabric. If the fabric is $10/yard then the FQ can only be $2.50. And I prefer to get them on sale.

Blog Entries
    I love fast quarters. $2 is a max, but prefer to get them cheaper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter

Holy Cow!! Where is that at!?!? Those are crazy prices.
    It's near the NJ Shore. I don't like the place, and the next closest to me is about a 45-60 minute drive.

Blog Entries
    that's crazy :shock:

Oh my gosh. All those Kaffe Fassettes I used to make my first quilt... must be wort ha mint by now.

*L*

tim in san jose

I am not an expert on fabrics,lol, but these were advertised as "early" Kaffe Fassett..so maybe some of them are out of print..not sure.I guess if I was trying to make a quilt with the whole collection and was missing the one FQ..I may be willing to pay more.
    And BtW, one sold for $10 and change. Smebody really wanted it and I am glad they got it.

Wow!I guess I shouldn't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Oh my gosh. All those Kaffe Fassettes I used to make my first quilt... must be wort ha mint by now.

*L*

tim in san jose
    :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Check out what Heather Ross Lightning Bolts and Other Mysteries fabrics and fat quarters go for on Ebay. I've seen $20 or more for fq. I have a reasonable stash of yardarge on some of these HR fabrics. I'm waiting until it looks like there aren't anymore and then I am going to move in for the kill!!!! Maybe make enough to buy my dream sewing machine..... ;)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast