Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how neat are you? >

how neat are you?

how neat are you?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by nitakhoops
Kind of hard to be neat and quilt! I usually miss the garbage can when I toss fabric waste and threads I've trimmed. Not to worry....I can clean it all up after the quilt is finished!
PS I went to the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center in Tillamook, OR today....highly recommend this for your Oregonians in the NW part of the state! 300 local quilters purchase an old school. It's used for display, quilting, and weaving. :lol:
Can you give us an address or location for the "Center" in Tillamook, I would be very interested in a road trip to visit. thanks,

scotlass
Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 AM

I love your helper.
Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
Enough said.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by katmom54
a messy work area is a sign of creative genius...
welll then, I must be a creative genius.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by cimarron
The featured frig magnet at my house states, "Dull women have immaculate houses."
Mine says "You can touch the dust but PLEASE don.t write in it"!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 AM

I use the top of the hottub for sorting and cutting and pressing, so if I want to use it, I have to clean up when I'm done. And with chronic pain and fibromyalgia, believe me, I WANT TO USE IT!! LOL. I am veryyyyy good about keeping the floor free of strings, scraps and pins, but my sewing table is piled with projects, tools and fabrics. I have just a big enough area cleared as I need to sew the current project. I currently have 3 projects going at the same time and all piled on corners of the sewing table in case I feel like working on them. Oops, make that 4! LOL, I started sample blocks for the new turned 4 square last nite.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 AM

I do not have a proper sewing room/corner at the moment. Sharing a desk with my daughters in the study! LOL. As such, the only time I could sew is when they are asleep. Always had to end up putting their books away, before placing my machine on the desk. I do ensure fabric scraps, threads etc are cleared when I finish sewing, so my daughters have a clean desk to use the following day. My fabrics and notions are all stacked away in boxes and baskets, which I put at a corner of the desk and underneath. I wish I have a proper sewing workstation. Planning to do some renovations to my study end of this year.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 AM

never thought of using a magnetic pincushion to get the 'lost' pins. What a good idea. Thanks
Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by MZStitch
Yep, that's me. My sewing machine gets trashed by the time I finish a project. I do have a rule though, which I follow faithfully. Before starting a new project I completely clean it, down to seperating flower head pins from ball ended.
Wow! That's really impressive!

All I usually do is pick up as much of the thread as I can because it chokes my vacuum cleaner. Then I run the magnetic pin cushion over the carpet to get pins where they belong. I cut and pin in another area of the house (dining area) so I pick uo all that stuff after I'm done there.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Originally Posted by cimarron
The featured frig magnet at my house states, "Dull women have immaculate houses."
Mine says "You can touch the dust but PLEASE don.t write in it"!!!
You can write in my dust, don't put the date.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by baglady65
Well I do have a a sewing too that is a mess right now and think it's stopping me from sewing alot. Daughter and her 2 boys just moving in with us this weekend and I figure they will be her a year or more. So I did have a plan to clean and get rid of stuff but 2 other rooms had to be cleared for them! Guess just what you do for your kids in need!
Been there and done that more than once. Now I have a very small room about (maybe ) 9 x 9 and everything is in there. My fabric (most of it ) , computer, sewing, quilting, craft, knitting, and crochet magazines as well as patterns which are mostly sorted. No machines. They are in the kitchen and living room at the moment. One more (FW) under my desk. My favorite room.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by rocklady
I organized a while back and couldn't find a pattern for several weeks. I can find things better when unorganized (messy). I do have a coffee filter for the threads and little scraps so they don't end up on the floor. I've learned to put away pincushions when I leave or the kitties carry them downstairs. I sew on the kitchen table and cut on the dining room table. No nice sewing room like some of you. Mine was taken over by computers and printers.
At least you have a dining room. Gave mine up when we downsized from 12 rooms to 6. Two bedrooms, a very small den/TV room kitchen and living room, as well as my little bit of heaven room.