Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: how neat are you?

I don't have a sewing room at the moment so need to keep everything neat and cleaned away at all times. Can get a bit messy during my sewing moments but then at the end of the day it is all cleaned up again.

Am really hanging out to get my sewing room but the house comes first so will be awhile yet. :-)

Maybe1day

Clean when I start a project trashed when I am finished.

Blog Entries
    Reading all of the above makes me feel so much better. I didn't realise there was anyone else who made a sewing mess like I do.

I'm messy and unorganized! I was so excited when hubby said I could use this 6x8 room for my sewing room. Then it had to double as an office. Now it has to also store my sons carpet cleaning supplies. If you stand in the middle of the room, you can touch everything in the room its so packed! Anyways....my quilting spread to the kitchen so I could use the table to cut on. Now with this GFG quilt I've dragged it into the living room too so I can handstitch and watch tv! One of these days it will end up in my bedroom too! lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
    i must say that i am a messy quilter. during a project i have fabric and notions all over the place and not good about putting things away until finished with project. cut threads end up on the floor along with a lot of dropped pins - i try to pick those pins up before running vacuum. thing is i have a waste basket right there for threads cut off but the floor seems to catch more.
    Sounds just like me!

Quote Originally Posted by MZStitch
    Yep, that's me. My sewing machine gets trashed by the time I finish a project. I do have a rule though, which I follow faithfully. Before starting a new project I completely clean it, down to seperating flower head pins from ball ended.
    Wow! That's really impressive!

All I usually do is pick up as much of the thread as I can because it chokes my vacuum cleaner. Then I run the magnetic pin cushion over the carpet to get pins where they belong. I cut and pin in another area of the house (dining area) so I pick uo all that stuff after I'm done there.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Non - sewers and neat freaks often comment on how "dirty" my house is, when it is only material and cotton thread on the floor.I live my life to suit myself, and not the occasional visitor.If they don't like it, they don't have to come -then I can have a good time getting on with my sewing, or sharing a cup of coffee with a good friend who doesn't mind drinking from clean cups when there is a bit of thread on the floor...

Hooray for you. I have the same problem. I tend to be messy - too many quilts, too many good books... etc. I do try to keep things clean at least. My daughter gave me a wonderful plaque that I keep in my kitchen. "Welcome to my loose interpretation of clean." It really fits me.

'

i started this thread and i am so glad to know that so so many of you out there are also messy quilters. the reason i originally inquired was because i have a friend that quilts and does general sewing. everytime i drop by her house everything is in tip top shape. if she is not working on a project on the machine, her machine actually has a protective cover on it. never have been sure where she keeps all her notions and supplies - only signs that she does any sewing is by her chair in her living room, maybe a pincushion and a small project she works on. she shows me her finished projects so i know she DOES sew, but i am always amazed. the rest of her house is spic and span so maybe she is just a cleaning freak. i must add that she is also a very stressed and not so happy person - always upset about something - maybe she just needs a messier life to keep things in perspective? anyway - thanks to all you sewing slobs out there - i feel so much better and now have proof to show my kids that it is not just me! oh, and i always warn my kids not to go barefoot in my sewing room b/c i am not extracting any pins and needles from their feet!

My sewing room is a wreck as well as the rest of the house. If I move thiongs I will lose everyt thing

Quote Originally Posted by stpatmom
    I would take a picture and show you all how neat I am NOT, but I think I lost my camera in there......
    stpatmom, thanks for the belly laugh this morning! Your my kind of gal. Has been fun reading about others quilting/sewing environments. Mine changes from time to time, but think I am fairly organized (there are glass doors on my room, so can't close the door and hide things).

scotlass

Quote Originally Posted by nitakhoops
    Kind of hard to be neat and quilt! I usually miss the garbage can when I toss fabric waste and threads I've trimmed. Not to worry....I can clean it all up after the quilt is finished!
    PS I went to the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center in Tillamook, OR today....highly recommend this for your Oregonians in the NW part of the state! 300 local quilters purchase an old school. It's used for display, quilting, and weaving. :lol:
    Can you give us an address or location for the "Center" in Tillamook, I would be very interested in a road trip to visit. thanks,

scotlass

I love your helper.
    Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by katmom54
    a messy work area is a sign of creative genius...
    welll then, I must be a creative genius.

Quote Originally Posted by cimarron
    The featured frig magnet at my house states, "Dull women have immaculate houses."
    Mine says "You can touch the dust but PLEASE don.t write in it"!!!

I use the top of the hottub for sorting and cutting and pressing, so if I want to use it, I have to clean up when I'm done. And with chronic pain and fibromyalgia, believe me, I WANT TO USE IT!! LOL. I am veryyyyy good about keeping the floor free of strings, scraps and pins, but my sewing table is piled with projects, tools and fabrics. I have just a big enough area cleared as I need to sew the current project. I currently have 3 projects going at the same time and all piled on corners of the sewing table in case I feel like working on them. Oops, make that 4! LOL, I started sample blocks for the new turned 4 square last nite.

I do not have a proper sewing room/corner at the moment. Sharing a desk with my daughters in the study! LOL. As such, the only time I could sew is when they are asleep. Always had to end up putting their books away, before placing my machine on the desk. I do ensure fabric scraps, threads etc are cleared when I finish sewing, so my daughters have a clean desk to use the following day. My fabrics and notions are all stacked away in boxes and baskets, which I put at a corner of the desk and underneath. I wish I have a proper sewing workstation. Planning to do some renovations to my study end of this year.

never thought of using a magnetic pincushion to get the 'lost' pins. What a good idea. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by MZStitch
    Yep, that's me. My sewing machine gets trashed by the time I finish a project. I do have a rule though, which I follow faithfully. Before starting a new project I completely clean it, down to seperating flower head pins from ball ended.
    Wow! That's really impressive!

All I usually do is pick up as much of the thread as I can because it chokes my vacuum cleaner. Then I run the magnetic pin cushion over the carpet to get pins where they belong. I cut and pin in another area of the house (dining area) so I pick uo all that stuff after I'm done there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Quote Originally Posted by cimarron
    The featured frig magnet at my house states, "Dull women have immaculate houses."
    Mine says "You can touch the dust but PLEASE don.t write in it"!!!
    You can write in my dust, don't put the date.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baglady65
    Well I do have a a sewing too that is a mess right now and think it's stopping me from sewing alot. Daughter and her 2 boys just moving in with us this weekend and I figure they will be her a year or more. So I did have a plan to clean and get rid of stuff but 2 other rooms had to be cleared for them! Guess just what you do for your kids in need!
    Been there and done that more than once. Now I have a very small room about (maybe ) 9 x 9 and everything is in there. My fabric (most of it ) , computer, sewing, quilting, craft, knitting, and crochet magazines as well as patterns which are mostly sorted. No machines. They are in the kitchen and living room at the moment. One more (FW) under my desk. My favorite room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocklady
    I organized a while back and couldn't find a pattern for several weeks. I can find things better when unorganized (messy). I do have a coffee filter for the threads and little scraps so they don't end up on the floor. I've learned to put away pincushions when I leave or the kitties carry them downstairs. I sew on the kitchen table and cut on the dining room table. No nice sewing room like some of you. Mine was taken over by computers and printers.
    At least you have a dining room. Gave mine up when we downsized from 12 rooms to 6. Two bedrooms, a very small den/TV room kitchen and living room, as well as my little bit of heaven room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    Looks lke I fit right in with the majority of you and so I will be brave and add on a view of part of my sewing room. I have shelves on two walls with fabric and genealogy books that don't show in picture. I probably have more fabric than I can ever use but I am trying. I aim for the waste basket when I am sewing but mostly if they end up on the floor they stay there until project is finished. Thn I pick them all up and vacumn. It is so nice to have a place just for sewing that I don't mind that my space is small..it works for me. I have a chunk of W & N stapled onto the closet (which is filled with bins of scraps)door and I use that for my design board. Really helps at times. I am happy with my stuffed shelves but know that I really need to tidy them up someday. Ok..don't say I didn't warn you.
    Looks to me like you have everything right where you need them to be. Enjoy

Blog Entries
    Be as messy as you want to be! I am too and I have no problem finding anything in my studio with several projects going at the same time. As long as I'm happy with the finished result.

Mine is a mess but, not from quilting. I have it torn apart and am going to get rid of the horrible purple that my granddaughter had because it was her br before she went back to her mom to live. Then hopefully I'll get the courage to try starting my first, yes first, quilt. The dark Barney purple in there just turns me off at the moment but when I get threw it should be nice and light and peaceful. (I hope)

I'm not an extreme neat freak however, I find I accomplish my quilting if I keep thinks picked up and in one place. I'm short on space so it has to functional. I have diabetes so making sure pins picked up is a must, I can't afford having a pin imbedded in my foot and not feling it until it's grossly infected.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Remember how Edward Scissorhands made it snow by creating ice sculptures? That's me when I sew---snippets, threads, pins, fabric, bobbins, scissors, flying every direction. I'm my own war zone and I'm dangerous. Then when I'm done with my project I look around in amazement wondering where all the mess came from.
    that's me too, but since i share my sewing room with dd & ddil, i think all the mess must be them.....that's my story & i'm sticking to it!!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast