Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to send a quilt to Scotland >

How to send a quilt to Scotland

How to send a quilt to Scotland

Old 04-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Default How to send a quilt to Scotland

I've lurked here for a while and as a new quilter, I've enjoyed reading through the advice and wisdom, but I've run into a problem I'm not sure how to solve and I haven't found it addressed here yet.

I've made a quilt for my son who is living in Scotland. It is heavy and all flannel (at his request), but now I can't seem to figure out how to get it to him safely, short of flying over to deliver it. Has anyone any experience with sending a quilt over seas? Also, how do we declare a value to something so creative and personal?

Any words of advice would be very welcome!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I would wait until someone is traveling, either him to you, or you to him.

That being said, I did mail a quilt to my kids in England for Christmas once, and was lucky it got to them with no problem.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM

Welcome to the Board!

I wouldn't be too worried about sending a quilt to the UK - postal service between North America and western Europe is pretty safe and reliable. Wrap it in something waterproof (perhaps a giant plastic ziploc bag), suck as much air out as you can (with a vacuum cleaner) and then wrap your shrunken, plastic coated quilt in multiple layers of kraft paper or other approved mailing paper. Put the address, and your return address inside the packaging, as well as on the outside. Clearly write the address, and your return address, on the outside of your paper wrapped package, then start with the packing tape - my overseas parcels end up looking like I have coated them in plastic I put so much tape on them!

As far as declaring value you can only declare and insure for replacement cost - which in your case is only the materials you used, unless you've had it appraised. Do NOT put anything like "handmade quilt" on the customs form - you are just announcing to an unscrupulous person that you have an irreplaceable (and therefore potentially valuable) item in your package! Instead put "bedding" or "blanket" or some other generic (and boring) term.

It will cost you a fortune to send it, but I wouldn't be concerned that it will be lost or damaged.

Alison
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM

I recently sent a quilt to India from UK! I wrapped it tightly in a plastic bag, then brown paper well taped! Then I used the plastic posting bag bought at the Post Office. I paid nearly £20 but that included the special 'signed for' facility. On the Customs Document I just stated 'Bedding'. It arrived safely within 4 days!! Quicker than post within UK!!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

It's tough to say how much to put on insurance. I tell myself that my time cannot play into it. I just try to figure how much it would be to replace the fabric and thread, and batting.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM

I sent one to Australia a while back, packed it in a sturdy box, it did cost quite a bit to mail it almost 70 dollars, but it arrived safely!!! It was a queen size.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:47 PM

Hi. Welcome. I have mailed quilts to Ireland with no issues. I did wrap it in plastic bag. Good luck
Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 PM

Hi, I have mailed quilts to the Netherlands and they received within a week. Just wrap in water proof then an outside wrapper
Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 AM

Better to label it, birthday gift and watch how much value you put on it, the UK duty laws changed a couple of years ago and they are now really strict on charging duty and tax on incoming parcels especially from USA.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 AM

Thank you for all the great advice (and the welcome): I will make sure the quilt is protected from moisture, put it in a plastic bag and maybe a box too and will pay extra to have a signature for it. The value is a bit dicey as we all know that the cost of quilting flannel is significant and it is a queen sized quilt. I will not include any estimate the value of my time or work.

Good point on labelling it "bedding." I don't want it to disappear en route. I'll hold my breath till it gets there safely. Thank you again!