Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to sew two quilt blocks together >

How to sew two quilt blocks together

How to sew two quilt blocks together

Old 08-31-2016, 07:14 AM

I can't think of a reason to back stitch in quilting, but as I read the OP, this memory came up.....once on f&p, when it was really that, Liz showed how she did a backstitch. Started her seam about three stitches from edge aiming toward that edge, put in those three stitches..at that point at end of pieces, raised pressure foot, spun pieces around so it was going in the " right" direction for sewing that seam, stitched over those beginning stitches and continued to finish that seam. I have actually done that on some projects other than quilting, as sometimes using the backstitch button causes a bit of lumpiness....... And I think I have seen Kaye wood do an end seam where you stitch to the end, pivot and stitch back into seam a few stitches to lock the seam
Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't---no real rhyme or reason......I guess if I notice ends coming loose on one block I start adding a back stitch. But I don't think I do it a large percentage of the time.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:10 PM

Thank you all for your responses! It sounds like I have been told the right thing! I asked as I noticed some of the stitches on the sides of my blocks were coming loose/falling out and so am wondering if I was doing something wrong?!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Some of the things that might help -

Shorten your stitch length a little bit - practice on scrap fabric

When chain piecing, I sew off the fabric about four stitches between units - and when I cut the threads between the pieces, I leave one or two "stitches" that are off the fabric - that seems to slow down the pieces coming apart at the ends.

Also, when pressing the seams/pieces, be gentle.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM

I only back stitch and shorten my stitch length when I am paper piecing.

What stitch length do you use bearisgray?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:17 PM

One can just use a very short stitch at the beginning or end instead of back stitching.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mamahippychicky View Post
I only back stitch and shorten my stitch length when I am paper piecing.

What stitch length do you use bearisgray?
I'm thinking 10-12 stitches to an inch. All my machines are old(er) - I usually use a 2.5 setting on my Pfaffs (1980ish machines) and the other machines just have a lever that moves up and down to change the stitch length.

8 stitches to an inch is way too long, and 16 stitches to an inch is way too short - and would be a Problem In The Area to have to unsew.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I'm thinking 10-12 stitches to an inch. All my machines are old(er) - I usually use a 2.5 setting on my Pfaffs (1980ish machines) and the other machines just have a lever that moves up and down to change the stitch length.

8 stitches to an inch is way too long, and 16 stitches to an inch is way too short - and would be a Problem In The Area to have to unsew.
EVERYTHING is a problem when it comes to unsewing LOL
Old 08-31-2016, 03:26 PM

When I start stitching and when I am ending my rows I do not backstitch , but I leave a short thread tail at the beginning and at the end of the row....maybe about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. It can easily be tucked into the binding later.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I hardly ever backstitch on blocks. Most of my piecing is done with 2mm or 2.5mm stitch length. Recently I started using leaders and enders to prevent the sewing machine to suck the fabric in the feed dogs with the first stitch.