Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to sew two quilt blocks together >

How to sew two quilt blocks together

How to sew two quilt blocks together

Old 08-31-2016, 08:06 PM

I don't back stitch, but I take a couple of stitches that are smaller than my normal piecing stitch at the beginning and end of the row when I am assembling blocks, then I go back to my normal piecing stitch. Several years ago I talked to a friend who had been quilting for eons and she said that she liked to change the stitch length at the beginning and end of a row.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:19 AM

I don't back stitch either...but I like Sewnclog's idea of securing stitches when attaching the last borders. Sometimes I unfold and refold my quilt tops to show family/friends before I will get it basted into a sandwich.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:22 AM

I usually backstitch at the ends of rows just to be sure it doesn't pull apart till I finish border.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

If I am hand sewing blocks/pieces together, I do use a knot and/or backstitch where i start and stop sewing.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:34 AM

It is inevitable that the start/end of a seam will loosen up as you work with the blocks, especially if it is handled multiple times. I like to leave a good tail end of thread (at least an inch or so) until the complete top is done and then I clip threads close. If a seam begins to loosen while I'm working, I just have to tug on the thread and tighten up again. I clip my threads when I do my last pressing.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

The only time I back stitch is when doing "Y" seams and mitered corners because the are a weaker seam. When ever I use these methods I baste the seam first with a large stitch to check for accuracy and then go back to sew the proper seam. No need when seams interlock.
peace
Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 AM

As for sewing two blocks together that will not be 'cut' apart (ex. sewing a vertical row of blocks together), I only backstitch at the beginning and the end of the entire row. As for sewing strips together that will then be subcut, I avoid at all costs. I learned my lesson when making a rail fence quilt that by the time I was to sew all the subcut 6" blocks together, the stitches started to come apart and I had to go back and backstitch all the beginning and ending of all the rail fence seams of the blocks before I could sew them 'altogether'. I did use a short stitch (no help). I am not in favor of assembly line sewing in some cases. My friends' sister made each of her twin grandchildren a quilt and DIDN'T backstitch the beginning and ends of the block seams (because, as she thought, another row of stitches would cross over it and secure it). When one twin forgot his quilt at home and tugged at the quilt to take it away from the other, my friend found she was 'repairing' the seams because they 'WEREN'T' secure. Most of you won't agree with me because it takes more time to do it MY way, but I want the quilt to hold together and I don't feel that just because seams are crossed makes them secure. I know it's popular with EB, but I'll continue doing it the time consuming way.

Last edited by sharin'Sharon; 09-02-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: finished a sentence.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:51 AM

I often back stitch when sewing on borders because I handle the quilt more and the ends are more likely to come loose. It's really whatever you prefer, assuming you won't be ripping out -- because it is more trouble to rip out if you have back stitched your seams.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:32 PM

You do not need to backstitch when another line of stitching will be going over it (that will lock it). But, if you are carrying it back and forth from class, it might be a good idea to backstitch at the end of your rows simply because you will be tugging, pulling and carrying it and the chance of starting to pull apart is a lot more probable.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Rail Fence blocks are a slight problem. Need to be extra careful with those. I try to secure when sewing the rows together.